Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody im new to the durango world but not the forum world. having an issue with my 01 durango r/t awd. when i got the truck there was a clunking in the front. upon further inspection i found the pass bottom shock bolt was sheared off. no big deal i work in a shop so i got it out and 2 new shocks and bolts went in. well going on 5 months now ive replaced the bolts pass side 3 times and the driver twice.i do live in wisconsin so roads not the greatest and combined with a bad design for the mount are what i come up with as to why this is an ongoing issue. just looking for a little info on why this keeps happening and how to remedy the situation. thanks in advance for any help. getting tired of fixing it lol

·
Administrator
8,053 Posts
Has the suspension been lowered?

·
Super Moderator
12,780 Posts
that is not at all a common problem. Either the wrong shock length for the suspension geometry, or a missing/damaged bump stop?

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Welcome,
It does sound like your d was lowered and the OEM shock was still installed. Having suspension bottom out with the longer shock will damage shock bolt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it has not been lowered and all bump stops are in place and ok condition. I'm now on my 3rd brand of shock just trying to find one that works

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I've had good luck with KYB and my favorite Tokico.

Factory manual says to tighten bottom bolt to 80ft lbs.
Top nut to use Loctite 242 and tighten to 19 ft. lbs.

If the issue is just the bottom bolt breaking...install a better bolt!
Go to a better grade like grade 8, or buy OEM bolt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grade 8 was the first choice after that I quit wasting the money. I'm on to a set of Monroe's which outta the box seemed a better design to me. And no the top bolt hasn't been an issue

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my Durango $0.98 December and I have had to change a passenger side bottom boat on the shock 3 times myself so I'm not quite sure what the problem is but there is a problem

·
Administrator
5,612 Posts
I had stock shocks on my D when I lowered it 2" with no issues.

not a common problem from what I've seen on here.

·
Administrator
8,053 Posts
I would check and replace the bump stops as they are letting the suspension compress too far, it seems. This would allow the shocks to bottom out and break the lower mounting bolts. Just a thought.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts