Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had this project going on for over a year and it almost finally complete..

Quick back story is I bought a 2001 SLT and 2002 SLT+ on the same day. THe 2001 had bad timing chain and the 2002 had overheated and owner wasn't sure if a head gasket had blown Plan was to put timing chain on the 2001 and swap the brand new tires from the 2002. I only paid $400 for the 2002 so the swap and discard would have been worth it. However, since it was just a known overheat and leaking radiator on the 2002, I started with that one, since it was a bit nicer ride, and found that everything was working with no blown head gasket or warped heads. So I ended up driving it as my daily from 2017 up to 2021 when the tires needed replacing, but wasn't worth it with all of the rust in the body.

Meanwhile, I had replaced the timing chain on the 2001 but found that the motor had spun a bearing. So the vehicle just sat until I took the 2002 out of service. At that time I started a motor/transmission/transfer case swap from the 2002 to the 2001. I did this I knew the history and status of the 2002 and would be more comfortable with it. All the work started around May of 2021.

So I first pulled everything from the 2001, tore the front of the motor down and reclaimed my brand new timing chain set which had about 30 minutes of runtime on it. I then pulled out all the components needed from the 2002, pulled the oil pan, valve covers, and front of motor down. I swapped the timing set, new oil pan gasket, new valve cover gaskets, new injectors, and new lifters. Once done I started the reinstall into the 2001 with new motor mounts and also new rack and pinion bushings while I had easy access.

Everything went well, with the exception of doing this in my garage with no lift, the vehicle up only on four ramps, and really tight quarters on the passenger side of the car. Everything matched up, but moved slowly since it had been about 16 months since pulling everything down. Finding bolts and such, even though I tried to bag ad tag everything, was a challenge but luckily I had items from both vehicles. The only two incompatibilities I found between the two model years were the PCV tube and the MAP connector was different. I had lost the PCV tube somewhere in the shuffle that came off the 2002.

So after getting it all back together, it would start but was running really bad. After much reading and many troubleshooting steps, I realized the timing must be off as both the crank and cam sensors were new, the engine was running rough with hesitation when goosing it from idle, and pulling the crank sensor connector the engine shutdown. So back off with the front of the motor and it was a good thing I did. The bolt holding the cam idler was snapped off. So a lot of futzing with that and a lot of luck, I was able to get it backed out and then removed using a magnet attached to the camera end of a scope I have. So all back together and it now is running great but no raid test quite yet.

Today I was able to get license plates for it and schedule an appointment for new tires to be installed and state inspection. So once I get that done Tuesday next week, she will be good to go.

Paint isn't the best and some small dents and stuff, but free from and body rust that I can see and only minor surface rust on the frame. Heres hoping that this will last me another 3 - 5 years.

Also, since this does have the 2002 45RFE transmission, I found a Jeep TCM for $55 to test out in it to see what having a 5 speed over a 4 speed might do.

Here are a couple pics of the ride...

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Wheel Tire
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried the same with my 2001 and didn't like the performance and removed it. It did improve FE...but was more hesitant to downshift and it upshifted too soon for my taste...like it was an ECO program. Great for flat highway travel, but not so much for hills or quick passing in my experience.
Interested to see what you think.
Thanks for the feedback.. I figured I would try it as the $55 and only a few minutes to swap seems worth it for testing. Not doing as much highway now so might not be as great of a swap.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty good shape and WOW you put some love into that machine.
The one thing I am still on the fence about is that the 2002 has the limited slip rear. Not sure if I want to tackle that swap or whether or not it is even worth it.

I am still thinking about seeing if I can move the amp and such from the Infinity system in the '02 to the '01. Radio is definitely moving as the '01 has a cassette tape and the '02 is cd.. Will eventually do a single din replacement once I am comfortable that this thing will continue to run..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the gear sets are the same then I would suggest to go with the posi install.
Both build sheets show the Corporate 9.25 LD real Axle with the '02 just having the additional entry of "Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle" in the list.

I was really hoping that the wiring harnesses were the same between the SLT and SLT+ so I could swap over some other things, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But there were 2 ratio's offered those years...3.55 and 3.92.
You want the 3.92 if you have that in the '02.
Otherwise I'd say not really worth the trouble unless you have issues with the current '01 unit.
Just looked over the build sheets for the two a little closer and they both have the 3.55

1 - 5 of 5 Posts