Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this has been happening for about 20k miles now. Basically when I sit at idle with the car running and in park for 10 - 15 minutes, I will get a message saying that I am not in park, the P on the dash and the rotory shifter blinks and to says to service the transmission. Check engine light comes on too. When this happens I cannot shut off the car completely. I can shut off the engine but it stays on ACC. The only way to get it to shut off is to disconnect the battery. And now after long trips it does it as well once I put the vehicle from drive to park, instantly. Any ideas on what this could be?
IMG_0933.jpeg

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
No....is it still in Park?
A guess would be a faulty park solenoid.

My other question would be why would you not have a dealer look at it if its been going on for the last 20K miles which for most people would be at least a year?
Should be covered under powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Yep. If under warranty, I'd limp into the dealership. Anyhow, I think there is a Customer Satisfaction, or Recall notice issued for the '17's (I dunno about any other years), that had to do with reprogramming puter for some issue with the trans and 'park'. There is another separate one for speed control.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No....is it still in Park?
A guess would be a faulty park solenoid.

My other question would be why would you not have a dealer look at it if its been going on for the last 20K miles which for most people would be at least a year?
Should be covered under powertrain warranty.
After I unplug the battery it works fine again. Car is out of extended warranty (100K). Currently about 118K miles. The vehicle is actually in park but there is something about the electronics that's causing it to think it's not.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep. If under warranty, I'd limp into the dealership. Anyhow, I think there is a Customer Satisfaction, or Recall notice issued for the '17's (I dunno about any other years), that had to do with reprogramming puter for some issue with the trans and 'park'. There is another separate one for speed control.
It runs fine until I sit at idle for a bit or a long trip. Unfortunately, with the dealer it becomes a waste of time if they cannot see the issue immediately. I've had another issue with transmission overheating and they jerked me around 5 visits before they took action. It was the 3rd party warranty company that did that in all fairness.

I'd like to know if anyone on here has had any similar issue so that I am not at the dealers mercy and they tell me that I need a new transmission. If it's a computer issue or sensor I'd feel more comfortable bringing it in knowing what to look for.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
So is it still actually in P when it gives you that message???
Next time it does that try to verify if it is in P or not...and also bring up the transmission temp gauge and note what temp the transmission is at when that message appears.

That is good info for the dealer to diagnose.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I missed your post where you said it is in P.
Note what the trans temp is next time...just to eliminate that as an issue.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Oh....and I'd get the check engine light code too.
Need to know that.

Most auto parts stores can read that for you for free.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I missed your post where you said it is in P.
Note what the trans temp is next time...just to eliminate that as an issue.
Temps are good. I had a temp issue with tranny which took months to clear up with dealer and 3rd party insurance. That’s why I’m a bit gun shy about bringing it to the dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This happened to me 2 days ago. The car wouldn’t start and I got the message that read “vehicle not in park” I called and had the dealership tow the truck. As of now they are still trying to figure out what’s wrong with the car. Even jumping the battery didn’t help it start the truck. I’m waiting on dealership to get back to me and this is very annoying. I didn’t expect this to happen I only have 1810 miles on it just got it 2 months ago. Did you find a fix or at least know what caused it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine just did the same thing this morning except all the gage lights were on , and it was saying vehicle not in park. I took the battery out pulled it back in and it’s still doing it but now only the park light is on. So i guess I’ll let it sit for a while.

So this has been happening for about 20k miles now. Basically when I sit at idle with the car running and in park for 10 - 15 minutes, I will get a message saying that I am not in park, the P on the dash and the rotory shifter blinks and to says to service the transmission. Check engine light comes on too. When this happens I cannot shut off the car completely. I can shut off the engine but it stays on ACC. The only way to get it to shut off is to disconnect the battery. And now after long trips it does it as well once I put the vehicle from drive to park, instantly. Any ideas on what this could be?
View attachment 101970

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 101970
This happened to me just two days ago. The dealership is perplexed... want to charge me 2K as it is I longer under warranty. How did you fix the problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
This happened to me 2 days ago. The car wouldn’t start and I got the message that read “vehicle not in park” I called and had the dealership tow the truck. As of now they are still trying to figure out what’s wrong with the car. Even jumping the battery didn’t help it start the truck. I’m waiting on dealership to get back to me and this is very annoying. I didn’t expect this to happen I only have 1810 miles on it just got it 2 months ago. Did you find a fix or at least know what caused it?
Did you find out what was the problem?? I have the same issue yesterday

·
Registered
2 Posts
VI had the same problem with my Dodge Durango 2014. My brother and me went to a road with a lot of small and mid size rocks, in certain place of the road I had to return so I shifted to reverse mode for about 200 meters,(the road was very narrow and I couldn't make a U turn in a section of the road) then I parked aside the road before U turning to continue my driving in the oposite direction. In that moment the P light in the rotary knob started to blink, and the Instrument Cluster displayed the message "Service transmission/ set park to prevent rolling". That condition was always present on the following days.
I'm not going to tell you the horrifying thoughts I had about sending my vehicle to the dealership and paying thousands of pesos for its repair. One day I decided to take a look below the vehicle in the area of the transmission and there it was...a little rock stuck between the body of the transmission and the little lever which connects to the transmission, this lever moves forward and backward depending on the mode PRND you put in rotary knob. This rock was not allowing the lever to move to its corresponding position when the rotary knob was put in P position. Afer removing the rock the alarms and error messages and 4blinking lights dissapeared.
I hope this case can be helpful for some of you.
Mario Ayala from Monterrey Mexico.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts