Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm just getting home from work and on my way back, about 3 miles from the house, (as I'm driving) the service AWD light comes on. In addition, a check engine light comes on, the coolant temp sensor turns off (giving it a reading of 100 degrees constantly), and the engine fan turns on very loud, and I mean VERY. When I park it, I check under the hood but nothing seems unusual and there's nothing leaking either. I turn it off, wait 5 minutes, and restart it and all that is left on is the check engine light (everything else normal). Any ideas on what's going on???
Thank
Disclaimer - I'm at 158,500 miles, the possibility could be endless

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope, car runs and drives fine. Otherwise it would've shut off on me and there's a separate light for that

·
Registered
163 Posts
Have a scanner? Scan it while it's having the issue? Besides that take it in to the shop/dealer when it's having the issue?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE: i took it to a shop in the morning to have him read the code since the service awd light usually doesnt come on for about 30 mins into driving or so. He said there were 2 codes, both for the coolant temp sensor. Apparently this model hemi uses a plastic temp sensor and goes bad easily, so I'm told. This is why the fan turned up so high, to cool the engine so it didnt overheat since the sensor wouldnt work once heated up and would only turn on after driving for a bit, because it needed to warm up. I'lkl change the sensor at work today and let you guys know if it fixes the problem.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WEEK UPDATE: Problem solved by replacing the coolant temp sensor. Just thought I'd post the update in case anyone else out there happens to have the same/similar type of problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So many thanks, Sir Denis. Really ur feedback is very useful. I’m facing the same problem. In addition I felt that my car was about to turned off and it was too heavy to move exactly as 90 years old woman. After parking net the street, I turned it off then restart everything going well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
UPDATE: i took it to a shop in the morning to have him read the code since the service awd light usually doesnt come on for about 30 mins into driving or so. He said there were 2 codes, both for the coolant temp sensor. Apparently this model hemi uses a plastic temp sensor and goes bad easily, so I'm told. This is why the fan turned up so high, to cool the engine so it didnt overheat since the sensor wouldnt work once heated up and would only turn on after driving for a bit, because it needed to warm up. I'lkl change the sensor at work today and let you guys know if it fixes the problem.
Is it feel like it’s in 4WD when the light comes on? Mine is doing all you said...except it kinda catches when it goes to turn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts