Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Premium Member
Putting on a good set of winter tires can help a fair amount, but I don't believe you will make it run like it would with AWD. RWD on this type of vehicle, in inclement weather, with all season or summer only rubber, is an accident waiting to happen IMO.

Don

Reactions: hamada128

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
New tires would be a good think but a waste of money. We've NEVER had ice on the roads like that nor do we get snow every year. I feel like I'm buying tires to use only 2 days a year (maybe)

Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
Not many RWD vehicles are good in the snow/ice. What's your actual complaint? It sucks in those conditions once every 3-5 years? Asking for a friend.

Reactions: bbuff4

Registered
'21 DD Tow N Go / 鈥17 Viper ACR
Where I live winter tire are a law. I know this winter some people got snow when they usually dont, but winter tire is a no brainer to me

Premium Member
Arius:
I guess I'm confused. Are you the owner of a RWD Durango that you feel is not inclement weather capable, or just wanting to complain? Serious question, and no disrespect intended. Where do you live? If you normally have a winter season like I do here in SW Ohio, then winter tires would not be a waste of money if you needed to depend on it daily.

If by chance you reside somewhere that you recently experienced a very rare winter event, then it kind of is what it is.
For myself, I would not own a truck or suv without 4x4 or AWD. Once it's built, you can't go back and add it. Here in SW Ohio, I see folks who are great drivers, getting along just fine with their RWD vehicle. Then, there are the ones who have the latest and greatest 4x4/AWD and end up stuck, or on their top because they suck at driving.

I'd like to help you, but I'm not sure what you are looking for.

Don

Registered
Can't even get a 2WD model where I live. AWD is a must-have.

Premium Member
Sorry:
Had not watched the video yet. Will do that now.
Watching the video does help with perspective a bit. IMO, winter tires would be the way to go if one wanted to be prepared for any winter situations. Obviously, AWD can't be added. I would agree with the OP that RWD is not helping in this instance. When it comes to ice though, nothing will be perfect.

Don

Registered
2020 Durango SRT
I grew up in Connecticut living through New England winters. Never had a 4WD or AWD vehicle.

You just have to learn how to drive in it. And just as importantly, when not to drive...

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
He said Mississippi like 5 or 10 times in the video.
Lol yo I wasn't really complaining. I just thought it was funny/ scary. I own a rwd because awd isn't offered here. Someone suggested snow tires but thats not a good investment for rare weather conditions. In all honesty, we were advised to stay indoors and off the roads but since I'm a first responder, I had to be out. Just thought I would turn the camera on in the process 馃し馃徔鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
I owned exclusively V8 RWD sedans for nine years while living in a part of Michigan that averages 240" of snow per year and had many steep hills with twists and turns and such. I NEVER had any problems getting around. My recipe was aggressive skinny snow tires on all four wheels, 400# of cat litter in the trunk, and adjustable air shocks on the rear to level out the vehicle.

I agree with ariusm that in his part of the country it would not make sense at all to invest in winter tires. Adding some weight to the back would be helpful though on an incidental basis.

Registered
2013 Durango R/T 5.7 - Black w/blackout package
Nothing those good folks down South can do when Mother Nature provides something that they almost never see. Snow/ice come = shut down town until it goes away on it's own.

I'll echo the AWD thing for the more Northern states that get snow/ice regularly. There is no substitute for AWD in the snow. The DDRT is a BEAST in the snow. Nothing works well on ice unless you have studded tires.

I love it when the first good ice event happens around here each year. All the folks in their lifted trucks are flying around like they are invincible until they have to stop that monster. Then they remember physics class for a few moments of sharting fun.

Registered
Nothing those good folks down South can do when Mother Nature provides something that they almost never see. Snow/ice come = shut down town until it goes away on it's own.

I'll echo the AWD thing for the more Northern states that get snow/ice regularly. There is no substitute for AWD in the snow. The DDRT is a BEAST in the snow. Nothing works well on ice unless you have studded tires.

I love it when the first good ice event happens around here each year. All the folks in their lifted trucks are flying around like they are invincible until they have to stop that monster. Then they remember physics class for a few moments of sharting fun.
I used to enjoy the heck out of out-accelerating an AWD SUV on all-seasons in deep snow with my RWD 1975 Chrysler Newport fitted with big snowies and weight in the trunk

Registered
Thanks for the fun and entertaining video ariusml43!

I'm in Central Texas and can relate. We made a short drive when it first started sleeting over a week or so ago, nothing near where it ended up as far as ice and snow, but even then I had to barely touch the gas on my Citadel Hemi when taking a turn from a full stop. Of course, this was the second day of owning the vehicle, the first day of sleet/ice, and I haven't driven a RWD in a 5+ years or driven any vehicle on actual ice in a good 20 years.

I'd have liked an AWD, but it's really not needed this far south and hard to find anyway.

I'm glad no one came slipping and sliding down your street and into your DD while it was parked by the curb. That'd have been my biggest fear, not only on a dry day, but especially in the snow!

BTW - You mentioned that you're a first responder. FF or Medic? Either way, good on you being out there daily and especially in these types of weather events!

D

Reactions: ariusml43

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the fun and entertaining video ariusml43!

I'm in Central Texas and can relate. We made a short drive when it first started sleeting over a week or so ago, nothing near where it ended up as far as ice and snow, but even then I had to barely touch the gas on my Citadel Hemi when taking a turn from a full stop. Of course, this was the second day of owning the vehicle, the first day of sleet/ice, and I haven't driven a RWD in a 5+ years or driven any vehicle on actual ice in a good 20 years.

I'd have liked an AWD, but it's really not needed this far south and hard to find anyway.

I'm glad no one came slipping and sliding down your street and into your DD while it was parked by the curb. That'd have been my biggest fear, not only on a dry day, but especially in the snow!

BTW - You mentioned that you're a first responder. FF or Medic? Either way, good on you being out there daily and especially in these types of weather events!

D
Yea i shoveled out my driveway shortly after just to get my DD out if the weather. Im a FF by the way

Registered
That's good. Would've sucked to come out in the morning to see the truck sideswiped or worse. Hell, I have my old 1995 Land Cruiser on the curb now that I have the DD, and I'm just waiting for someone to hit it.

Props for being a FF! Some years ago I went through FF academy for a town in the area and loved it! I was ready to switch careers but ended up with an unrelated back injury before I finished EMT-B training. Ended up back in the corporate world and doing volunteer SAR with a great organization. Spent a week on the coast in Corpus Christi and inland when Hurricane Harvey hit. I was certified swift water rescue and Harvey was something else - wading and swimming through nasty water on streets, knocking on doors, searching flooded houses and pulling people out that just wouldn't leave, even though their entire down floor is flooded, and wondering what you're gonna find, if you're gonna get electrocuted or sucked into a manhole, etc. Slow and easy wins the race (for safety) though, just as we were always told in academy, "Firefighters Never Run" as haste can make things worse.

Be safe out there!

Registered
I live in TN. Someone from up north mentioned studded or snow tires to me other day, I just laughed. Yeah, it doesn't pay for the minimal amount of snow we usually get, or that melts off the main roads within a day or so. I have a front wheel drive '07 Eclipse, and I just use that if I have to work/go out when it does snow here. Just use common sense, drive slower, don't brake suddenly, don't tailgate, and ignore those fools tailgating you. I grew up in Chicago, and learned how to drive with feet of snow on the road, with a rear wheel drive '85 Monte Carlo. Generally, nothing drives on ice. Looks like you had that sleet and snow on top of the ice-just like we did here, that gave you some traction on the ice. Just freezing rain or black ice, nothing's moving on that how it should.
What I used to do in my old RWD car, just load up the back with kitty litter, salt, at least a good 100 lbs. My old truck I had, I threw a bunch of landscaping bricks in the bed over the axle. If I approached a red light, I'd try to time it and slow down if I could to avoid stopping. That was always when I ran into problems, trying to take off after stopping. Carry a shovel also. And, I also would drop it into 1st or 2nd on the gear shift. Just keep that under 30 mph for 1st and under I think it was 55 mph for 2nd. When your in the market for a new vehicle, at least get a front wheel drive or all wheel drive. FWD should be good enough for your area though, and that's pretty much the norm on most vehicles now a days.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts