Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

just joined the forum today. I will probably buy a Durango V-8 or a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel to tow a 28 foot RV. All the weight restrictions are ok. I'm a little worried about the trailer length. I've seen the rule of thumb regarding wheelbase - The first 110" of wheelbase allows you 20' of trailer and for each additional 4" of wheelbase, this gets you 1' more of trailer. Using this, the Durango Wheelbase of 119.8" can only tow a RV length of 22.5 Ft. I see this referenced but usually in forums. Of course the RV dealer says the length should be fine as long as I have a weight distribution and sway control system.

So any comments would be appreciated, especially if anyone has experience towing about 28 feet with the Durango or Grand Cherokee.

Thanks so much!

And why doesn't spell check recognize Durango in a Durango forum? haha

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would not even attempt a 28' trailer with the shorter Grand Cherokee. You are asking for a bad situation there. Wheelbase is the only thing that might save you here.

there's a review out there of a 2011 Durango (so first round of the new body style) with a 28 footer:
http://www.trailerlife.com/reviews/trailer-reviews/dodge-durango-and-cruiser-rv-shadow-cruiser/

Would I do it? probably not. A quick search of travel trailer forums indicates that people say it "doesn't sway too bad" which is really not a position I would want to be in, personally.

At minimum you're going to want to spend serious $$ on a weight distribution hitch with sway control. Blue Ox or Reese SC - something with ACTIVE sway control. It makes a huge difference in your truck's ability to control a trailer especially with a shorter tongue as some travel trailers are starting to use.

·
Super Moderator
13,073 Posts
After the recent MA-MD-MA trailering adventure, it is clear to me that "what you can get away with" is the wrong way to think about this.

There are legions of idiots out on the highways (including the idiots driving 18-wheelers, unfortunately) .. you need to have a rig that is stable and controllable..

It is great fun at 5:30am when a f'in 18-wheeler driver wakes up and decides "oh that's my exit" and dive-bombs across to the exit in front of you when you are towing.. "professional drivers[SUP]1[/SUP]" my a$$ .. but I digress..

[SUP]1[/SUP] Most are great. Some are dangerous. Do not want to be avoiding 30,000lb of bananas.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I was told by the trailer dealer last weekend that "most people aren't going for the WDH or sway control anymore because their truck can do it!"

Do not listen to this horses**t.

The "trailer sway control" is designed to keep the trailer from flipping your vehicle off the road. You CANNOT control a sway incident using the tow vehicle's braking. You must slow down the trailer first to control the sway before it controls you. Or, you can spend the money and properly equip your trailer with something that will prevent it from walking you off the road. That said, nothing can overcome the physics of towing something more than twice the length of your vehicle, even if it only weighs 5000lbs.

I'd think pretty seriously about your use case - how often will you use the trailer, how much space do you really need - and then decide where you're going with it all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I tow a 27ft trailer with a GVWR of 6695lbs with my 2015 DD R/T and it pulls fine. I do have a sway WDH and yes on occasion when a semi passes I get a bit of pull forward, but nothing I consider white knuckle.

Reactions: KCount

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been pulling a 28'Flagstaff with a 2012 Durango Citadel with no problem I use weight distribution bars and sway control. One summer we were heading up to Maine when a tire on the camper blew, I was able to pull to the side of the highway with out any problem. The scary part was when the camper was up on the jack and the big rigs flew by I got some serious sway.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been pulling a 28'Flagstaff with a 2012 Durango Citadel with no problem I use weight distribution bars and sway control. One summer we were heading up to Maine when a tire on the camper blew, I was able to pull to the side of the highway with out any problem. The scary part was when the camper was up on the jack and the big rigs flew by I got some serious sway.
Bill34, what tow mirrors are you using? would you recommend them?

·
Registered
736 Posts
General rule of thumb anytime you tow anything 20 ft or taller especial when it is taller than the tow vehicle is that you should use a load leveling hitch with sway control. Also make sure the trailer is weighted correctly with the bulk of the weight forward of the axl(s).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi,

just joined the forum today. I will probably buy a Durango V-8 or a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel to tow a 28 foot RV. All the weight restrictions are ok. I'm a little worried about the trailer length. I've seen the rule of thumb regarding wheelbase - The first 110" of wheelbase allows you 20' of trailer and for each additional 4" of wheelbase, this gets you 1' more of trailer. Using this, the Durango Wheelbase of 119.8" can only tow a RV length of 22.5 Ft. I see this referenced but usually in forums. Of course the RV dealer says the length should be fine as long as I have a weight distribution and sway control system.

So any comments would be appreciated, especially if anyone has experience towing about 28 feet with the Durango or Grand Cherokee.

Thanks so much!

This is what I tow around and it's great. I use a Blue Ox hitch and have towed thousands of miles, including up to Alaska.

I've never had any incidents of sway that made me nervous.

I've been to the weight scales and conducted careful measurements...everything is within the weight allowances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok no

Hi,

Thanks so much!

Look, i know this has been posted for awhile but still.... Ok so a 2016 Yukon XL with a 130 in wheelbase is only able to tow a 25/26 footer??? cmon man, this makes no sense whatsoever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is what I tow around and it's great. I use a Blue Ox hitch and have towed thousands of miles, including up to Alaska.

I've been to the weight scales and conducted careful measurements...everything is within the weight allowances.

Hi there! Are you using any Air Ride bags in your springs? Or do you just rely on the load leveling shocks?

·
Registered
2021 Tow n Go, Granite Met., Red Brembo, Moon Roof. Vitra Grey, Cargo and Tech pkg. NO Blacktop.
128 Posts
I tow a 27ft trailer with a GVWR of 6695lbs with my 2015 DD R/T and it pulls fine. I do have a sway WDH and yes on occasion when a semi passes I get a bit of pull forward, but nothing I consider white knuckle.
I would not go an inch longer than 28ft and yes would make sure you don't cheap out on the WDH / Sway control. I think the sweet spot for the DD is 26ft or less.

·
Registered
2021 Tow n Go, Granite Met., Red Brembo, Moon Roof. Vitra Grey, Cargo and Tech pkg. NO Blacktop.
128 Posts
Now are we talking box length or coupler to bumper? You can add up to 4-1/2 to 5 feet if you go all in. I pull a "24 foot" C241RLK Connect, which is 28'-11" coupler to bumper. Pulls great with my 2021 Tow-n-Go, but I did a lot of work on hitch set-up and load balancing. See link here... Let's see those Durango towing pics! Post #206 from Jan 17, 2022. You're gonna want to get tow mirror's (which aren't shown in my pics). This is my opinion only, not telling you to go for it. I've been towing trailers from a 8' utility behind a Ford Ranger to a 40' equipment gooseneck at 18,000 lbs. with a dually for 20+ years, so its second nature for me. Do what you're comfortable with, that's my advice.

·
Registered
128 Posts

Wow, what kind of length you have there? GVW? doesn't appear to be squattin too bad at all. Gotta love the load distributing hitches!

·
Registered
19 Posts
hate to resurrect a few month old forum post, but I'm looking to haul a (28' total / 24' box) trailer that GVWR for the trailer is 6500 max. Have a 12k Reese sway/equalizer (OVERKILL) but I'm worried about pulling the trigger on the camper because folks on the keystone forums are saying it's dangerous and careless.

·
Registered
883 Posts
hate to resurrect a few month old forum post, but I'm looking to haul a (28' total / 24' box) trailer that GVWR for the trailer is 6500 max. Have a 12k Reese sway/equalizer (OVERKILL) but I'm worried about pulling the trigger on the camper because folks on the keystone forums are saying it's dangerous and careless.
That’s just a tad too big. I’d go smaller

What’s your combined weight of driver and passengers?

·
Registered
479 Posts
What trim durango do you have? I agree its a bit too big but people definitely tow campers of that size with Durangos. My camper is 4200dry 22' box, 24'10" tongue to tail and my Tow N Go pulls it comfortably.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts