Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm due for a tire replacement. Not sure if I need run flat tires that are rated for 180 mph :) Did any of you folks go down a grade in tires? I was thinking something rated for maybe 130. I dont give a hoot about top speed, the damn road gets too skinny for me 100mph and over. I live in the 0 to 80 realm most of the time.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2020 DDSRT Octane Red, 2020 Ram 1500 Crew
53 Posts
You don't need the run flat tires. Just make sure your new tires meet the weight rating of your Durango. As far a speed ratings, if you're planning on not going above 185mph there is no need for the (Y) speed rating of the Pirelli PZero tires. As long as the tire diameter is at or near 30.5 inches, they are large enough to fit a 10 inch wide rim, and the weight rating is good, choose the speed rating that you won't go over.

·
Registered
188 Posts
And if you're not going to buy run-flats, make sure you have a spare tire.
And be sure you don't mind changing a flat in cold, dark, wet weather. Or on a busy highway. Forty years ago I had a flat on a busy interstate in the middle of a metro area, on a curve, at night, where the shoulder was less than the width of my vehicle. No way to safely change it, so the state patrol blocked off the lane and a tow company changed it quickly. The cops insisted we do it that way to clear the lane quickly. So while I don't like the cost and stiffer ride, I appreciate run-flats. I do wish there was a higher wear-rated alternative though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the scorpion run flats on mine. 11k miles and they are about 1/3 tread left. They probably wont go 20k. The ride is rough and I cannot wait to get rid of them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. After doing some research there is a fair amount of variety for tires...And I will not be buying run flats lol

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2020 DDSRT Octane Red, 2020 Ram 1500 Crew
53 Posts
How did you buy one? When I researched a couple of years ago I was told because my VIN didn't show a spare I couldn't order one.
Went to the parts counter and told them to order the jack, winch, lug wrench, and spare wheel. Had them look it up for a DDSRT vin with a tow package.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm due for a tire replacement. Not sure if I need run flat tires that are rated for 180 mph :) Did any of you folks go down a grade in tires? I was thinking something rated for maybe 130. I dont give a hoot about top speed, the damn road gets too skinny for me 100mph and over. I live in the 0 to 80 realm most of the time.

Thanks in advance
I went with the Continental dws 06+ uhp and I couldn’t be happier. Ride quality is a lot better and I feel they doing better in adverse weather. No run flats but I have a spare and I think the trade off is fair.

·
Registered
2018 Durango SRT
8 Posts
I just ordered my first replacement set for my 2018 DDSRT and they go on tomorrow. I went with the Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II in 265/50/20. I used the same size for my Winter tires since they are the same height but a little narrower than stock size. Less expensive in that size and reviews on Tire Rack report up to 40k tread life. Got them purchased and installed by my local mechanic for $200/tire.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Thanks in advance
I purchased Toyo Proxes tires to replace my run flats. Tires stick to the road well and look great. Highly recommend.
IMG_20200405_112251.jpg

·
Registered
103 Posts

Thanks in advance
I couldn't wait to replace the rock-hard run-flats....I went with themichelin pilot sport a/s 3, cheaper than OEM and better ride.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you have a spare original Pirelli that's unused, and have Michelins of the same spec on the four corners, wouldn't you still have to worry about circumference difference if you end up using the spare? I've heard that you risk taking out the differential if you even replace a half-worn tire with an identical but unused spare. Folks have had to replace all four if one is damaged beyond repair. What are the chances that two different brands are close enough in circumference? Perhaps a short distance to a shop is fine.

·
Registered
962 Posts
If you have a spare original Pirelli that's unused, and have Michelins of the same spec on the four corners, wouldn't you still have to worry about circumference difference if you end up using the spare? I've heard that you risk taking out the differential if you even replace a half-worn tire with an identical but unused spare. Folks have had to replace all four if one is damaged beyond repair. What are the chances that two different brands are close enough in circumference? Perhaps a short distance to a shop is fine.
The spare tire is not a full size tire.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts