Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 RT Destroyer Grey Blacktop
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are so many choices when it comes to oil catch can options. Some are $50 $80 $100 evan $200. What experiances are out there and is it worth spending $200 for this upgrade?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bought a cheapo $70 eBay one with the "z" bracket...looked pretty nice when I got it, but it didn't fit well at all. I ended up selling it to a guy with a ram for $50 a month later... Buy a good one with the fuse box mount, in my opinion. Or don't buy one at all. It's been my experience that they "do their job", but I've seen intakes of vehicles with and without and there isn't much, if any, real difference. I'm sure my anecdotal experience differs from others...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts
I got this one. It was pretty inexpensive and worked perfect on my 18 R/T. It does what it says, I empty it at each oil change

Reactions: YoItsMe

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got this one. It was pretty inexpensive and worked perfect on my 18 R/T. It does what it says, I empty it at each oil change

That's the one I would buy if I were going to buy one. I think the most important function they serve is looking cool.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
People who have them swear by them.

People who don't have them never miss them and never need them.

There have been "catch can fanatics" for every performance car I have ever owned. I have never had one and never needed one.

If you are concerned about resale, it is a mod that will not impress potential buyers. Like most mods.

Your car, your money, your choice....if you get one, get the shiny one.....😂

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ive ran catch cans on a lot of my vehicles. I currently run a JLT on my Hellcat and had a BT on the GC SRT. I will be adding one to the DD. Some people care others don't but you will be surprised to see what ends up in the can.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need to take a better look under the hood. It seems there’s a difference in the DD on how to mount the can. Some post installing it to a mounting hole on the block and others show a bracket on the PCM mount cover section.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Correct, the one that mounts to the PCM is a nice solid point on the durango specifically

·
Registered
302 Posts
It's like a strut tower brace, some people are compelled by only dramatic in-your-face mods and others can appreciate the subtleties of just fine tuning the what the OEM did. I run catch cans on my Durango and SS, but I don't consider them a "must do!!" deal. It's not a practical thing for OEM's to include, but that is because the ROI isn't that high, and it would cause more problems than it solves for the daily driver that wants low maintenance investment. Most of us here are a bit different than typical, so we run them (Billet Technology for me)

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's like a strut tower brace, some people are compelled by only dramatic in-your-face mods and others can appreciate the subtleties of just fine tuning the what the OEM did. I run catch cans on my Durango and SS, but I don't consider them a "must do!!" deal. It's not a practical thing for OEM's to include, but that is because the ROI isn't that high, and it would cause more problems than it solves for the daily driver that wants low maintenance investment. Most of us here are a bit different than typical, so we run them (Billet Technology for me)
Thanks man that was deep....

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Correct, the one that mounts to the PCM is a nice solid point on the durango specifically
What about keeping the PCM Covered with the OEM Cover on it? I have a vented hood will I need to modify that cover to the PCM when installing the catch can? I just ordered this style from Billet Technology.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The ones that mount to the PCM should have a relocate clip of the cover so that you keep it. Ill try and take a picture of mine later today but I also have the vented hood on my '18 R/T.

See attached link, they provided some little clips that slightly raised the PCM cover:

Reactions: YoItsMe

·
Registered
36 Posts
I went for a Moroso can. The part number made for 2019 5.7/6.4L Chargers fit cleanly on an existing stud in the head. This will not work if the OEM intake is still installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
The BT instructions leave a lot to be desired, but they articulate the basics if you read them ahead of time, a few times. The catch can mount instructions haven't been updated since the SRT hood addition, so you're on your own to figure that out. I trimmed the cover on the back and the part where the hose interferes with it. Then I used my own bolts and spacers to get the mount to allow room for the cover to be reinstalled.

I've been building race bikes for years so I'm expert at shim/trim/fabricate to mount things (function over form is the general rule here), so if you don't have a garage and some ingenuity, BT will disappoint. No way am I running mine without the PCM cover.
Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Tire
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive engine part
Auto part Vehicle Engine Car

·
Registered
114 Posts
I hate mine because it's in the damn way of the oil dipstick.. So to check my oil I have to remove the catch can. PITA.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The BT instructions leave a lot to be desired, but they articulate the basics if you read them ahead of time, a few times. The catch can mount instructions haven't been updated since the SRT hood addition, so you're on your own to figure that out. I trimmed the cover on the back and the part where the hose interferes with it. Then I used my own bolts and spacers to get the mount to allow room for the cover to be reinstalled.

I've been building race bikes for years so I'm expert at shim/trim/fabricate to mount things (function over form is the general rule here), so if you don't have a garage and some ingenuity, BT will disappoint. No way am I running mine without the PCM cover. View attachment 111425 View attachment 111426 View attachment 111427 View attachment 111425 View attachment 111426 View attachment 111427
Thanks for the explanation and pictures!!! This doesn’t look like rocket science. Nothing a Dremel can’t fix. Much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the explanation and pictures!!! This doesn’t look like rocket science. Nothing a Dremel can’t fix. Much appreciated!
Not sure about your set up but on this video it seems that there’s not a clearance issue with the dip stick.

·
Registered
302 Posts
^^^It's close fit with the dipstick, but again if I had to remove the catch can to check the oil it would be a no-go for me. Maybe the dipstick tube needs to be manipulated a bit?

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
2,296 Posts
I'd say engine compartment eye candy! Some people swear by them and others are indifferent after buying them. Have fun with the choice. There was a recent thread regarding dissatisfaction regarding JLT that I just read today. Research is key especially as the purchase price goes up !

1 - 20 of 49 Posts