Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if the Tow N Go package is worth the cost vs a plain AWD RT. Anyone have experience with driving both and what were your impressions? I have driven a RT AWD and thought it was pretty good overall and would be a good vehicle to daily drive or vacation with. Is the TnG just that much better?

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
967 Posts
Haven't you read what the package includes and imagined yourself driving it? So far no one on this forum has said it wasn't worth the 5 grand or that they wouldn't do it again. You get the SRT exhaust, SRT brakes, SRT driving functions in UConnect with hard buttons including the snow button and the SRT front transfer case. I think you also get some part of the SRT interior but I don't remember.

·
Registered
2021 Billet R/T TNG
557 Posts
My 18 R/T was Rwd. When i read about everything you got for the 5k price tag. It’s a no brainer if you can wait and order one.

Reactions: Ollie Crow

·
Registered
2021 R/T Tow N Go Redline
59 Posts
SRT Exhaust, SRT wheels, SRT tires, SRT shocks, SRT brakes, rear antiroll bar, tow hitch, brake controller, drive modes, factory installed and warranty, 1000% worth it in my opinion. It's the reason I bought it actually. Do the math.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yes, totally worth it. and its only $3,800 more. I was getting the Tow Package anyway. even if you aren't going to tow very much, always get the Tow Package for the uprated cooling and resale value.

so an extra $3,800 for 20" x 10" wheels, SRT exhaust, Brembo brakes, electronic Limited Slip Differential???

from the factory with a factory warranty???

its not even a question. THIS is what an R/T is supposed to be. THIS is what a Durango R/T SHOULD have been for years now. R/T shouldn't be heavier steering feel and different suspension bushings. R/T should really mean something.

and now it does. R/T TnG is 100% the way to go if you can find/order one.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I wanted TnG because it's essentially an srt minus the srt power and price

In addition, we needed to have another awd/4wd vehicle that can tow. And even though the load (<4500lbs) can be handled by the other models/trims, I will always opt for more than I need in that department

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
967 Posts
R/T originally meant the Hemi instead of a V6 so that still stands unless you get the Citadel which can have a Hemi now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Improved exhaust tone alone is worth it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I get all the options, Most of which are fine, but not necessarily a make or break issue for me.. What what I;m trying to figure is people who have actually driven/had/have both the AWD RT and a TnG can say "yeah the handling in the TnG is so superior than the regular RT AWD" etc. Does the suspension really live up to the hype Dodge wants us to believe? Hard to test drive a TnG or SRT around here as dealers only want to stock the GT models, if they have any Durango's at all. Hope this clarifies what I'm trying to understand about the TnG vs. RT AWD.

·
Registered
104 Posts
what you're asking for would honestly take at least a week with each vehicle to make a good comparison. there HAS to be something on youtube you can look at that would answer your question

we personally test drove an R/T w/out TnG, and an '18 SRT around the same time. well, the wife did as i sat b*tch since the durango will be hers

after all of about 15 minutes with each, i would say the srt rode a little rougher and louder. that's to be expected with added performance.

also, the TnG will come with run flat tires that automatically are going to be a rougher ride. i will ABSOLUTELY be going to a different tire after the stocks wear out.

you're really asking a loaded question since your driving habits are going to be different from everyone else's. if you were to say what you'd be using your durango for that might help

·
Registered
397 Posts
I had a 2018 R/T with towing package. I now have a 2021 R/T with TnG. The handling is literally night and day between them. The 2018 was soft and floaty, almost felt like it was top heavy in turns... sorta wallowed like a big whale. The 2021 corners like its on rails in comparison. It's not a 911 by any means, but definitely a more performance oriented ride. The TnG handles like a sports truck should whereas the regular R/T handled like a 1980 suburban. The brakes are a world apart too. This TnG stops ridiculously fast for a big fat SUV.

·
Registered
2021 Billet R/T TNG
557 Posts
I had a 2018 R/T with towing package. I now have a 2021 R/T with TnG. The handling is literally night and day between them. The 2018 was soft and floaty, almost felt like it was top heavy in turns... sorta wallowed like a big whale. The 2021 corners like its on rails in comparison. It's not a 911 by any means, but definitely a more performance oriented ride. The TnG handles like a sports truck should whereas the regular R/T handled like a 1980 suburban. The brakes are a world apart too. This TnG stops ridiculously fast for a big fat SUV.
Same previous ride to the same current for myself as well. I agree with you. Taking a quick turn in the TNG you feel like you are in control now and there is much less body roll than previously.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Same previous ride to the same current for myself as well. I agree with you. Taking a quick turn in the TNG you feel like you are in control now and there is much less body roll than previously.
honestly, the 2021 R/T TnG is what the R/T should have been all along. the wider tires, the better suspension, the eLSD, the performance exhaust. all that could have been done a while ago.

I've been driving a 2011 CrewLux with 5.7 HEMI and Tow Package for years. the R/T was not worth it to me. black only interior, heavier steering, a little stiffer ride. that's it.

I had a 2001 Intrepid R/T back in the early-mid 2000's. R/T meant something. biggest engine (3.5L HO back when that was a big deal) biggest wheels (17"), suspension from the 300M. R/T was top of the heap for Intrepids and worlds better to drive then the ES (next highest model).

for too long R/T in the Durango has meant monochrome paint and 'sport tuned' steering and ride. absolutely no offense to owners of those R/Ts, I understand why they bought them. but that didn't do it for me. The 2021 R/T TnG fixes all that. :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
im not sure if you keep that rack on all the time, but can you sense (hear) a difference with that front windscreen or whatever it's called when it's off/on? i don't think i've ever seen that before
Yes, the windscreen gets rid of all wind noise pretty much. It's designed for slightly larger cross bars so I had to modify it slightly to hold tightly onto the rack

1 - 20 of 36 Posts