Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a 2000 5.9l, most of the times when i start the engine, i have to hold in the gas pedal for a little to get it started. If i just turn the key the car will start but then die almost immediately. Once the car warms up then i can start and stop it easily. It seems to be worse the colder it gets. I always start it and let it warm up for about ten-fifteen minutes before i start driving it and it has never died on me or anything like that. The only thing i noticed today was that my RPM's increased randomly almost like the gas pedal was stuck. Ive tried cleaning out the throttle body but it was dirty at all. Anything helps!

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
Try a new Battery...you wont believe how much grief they can cause you
STEVE

·
Registered
711 Posts
X2 on replacing the battery. Gen I Durangos are very picky about battery voltages. If the battery is low, you will have to "feather" the gas to keep it running until the battery takes enough charge to keep it running.
Then, after sitting for awhile, the charge in the battery will trickle down, and you're back to square one again.
Been there....

Replace the battery, you and the truck will be happier.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
could i just try to recharge the battery?
You could give that a try. Take it right from the charger and try to start the D on a fresh charge. If it starts up fine then it is likely the battery, if it doesn't it could still be the battery. You can also take it to an auto parts store that does free battery tests and see what their diag machine says.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much guys, got it charging now, ill update later. Charger said battery was around 25%

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
Battery is shot...Get a new one or you will get stuck soon
STEVE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts