Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since i was finally able to get a VIN off an '18 Durango I got in contact with the guys at AllMoparParts (love them dudes) and asked them to source parts for a T-Shifter conversion. The list follows but with this caveat, I have not done this mod myself yet, I am not 100% certain that these are all the parts you'll need nor am I 100% certain that the mod will work. You will certainly need some mechanical skill and any risk you take is your own. If you do the mod help the community and post a how-to with details.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I've only had my D for about 4 months now and haven't had any real gripes about the rotary shifter. What is it that you guys dislike about it?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I must say, compared to the column shift on my Ram, it is much better. I guess I am in the minority by saying I like the rotary.
I like it too. I have no problems with it. I think it feels like a premium product/feature.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It took some getting used to, that's certain. I was considering a 2017 Ram, and they have them as well, and frankly, it's even sillier in a full-size pickup as far as I'm concerned, especially since it was up on the firewall, and not down by my hand.

Due to the smaller size of the console area in the D, I do see the point in the dial, as that console would potentially get pretty crowded.

Finally since the safety interlocks are gonna keep me from playing with the shifter at the traffic lights anyway, the dial probably keeps me out of trouble.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I drove several '17s trying to decide and just couldn't get used to the dial, kept reaching for the T and got nothing but air.
Perhaps I would have gotten used to it over time, but all our other cars have a T or stick type shifter.

That said, not sure I'd pony up $750 to swap it out if I already owned one with it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've gotten used to the dial, doesn't bother me but I do like the shifter in my Charger better. I'd consider swapping if I could pull the parts for $100 or something at a junk yard but not $700+.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You gotta love a guy that reads the thread topic, realizes it's not of interest to him but still clicks it and then takes the time to comment. Go figure.

For the record, I HATE the rotary dial. Worst. Idea. Ever.
Still upset at folks who came here to comment about the affinity for the rotary dial? I am glad I am not the only one, although I was the first one and got 'yield at' as a result. it's all good, however; that why we have this great community to share our points of view, right? ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't really hate the dial, I don't think it is as sporty of a feel/style as a "T" shifter, it does however free up a lot of room on the console. I do wish it looked more premium. I covered the top of mine with a carbon look vinyl, still could be better dressed though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I haven't looked but you might be able to find some of those components on eBay and such for better prices, try looking for 'take offs' and even go to a wrecking yard. I've been doing this for a long time and the important thing is now you all have the OEM part numbers to work with.

I think somebody commented further up about the t-handle getting hot, well check this out Hurst Shifter it's made for the Charger and Challenger, but again I think the parts are all pretty interchangeable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE:

I took a deeper look at the parts list and I asked about the most expensive piece the bezel for $374 is not needed. That is the entire top of the console including the USB outlet, etc. So that drops the price to about 300. The only unknown is fitting the shifter into the console. A new center piece (where the cupholders are) may be needed and I don't have a part number for that yet.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
About this Discussion
109 Replies
54 Participants
scottout
Dodge Durango Forum
Welcome to the best Dodge Durango Forum around, where you can find a great Dodge Durango Wiki and discuss the reliability of the different trim levels including the GT and SRT!
Full Forum Listing