Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does ANYONE know if you can put the standard roof rails that comes with a Limited? When we add the Blacktop option to the vehicle they remove the rails from the car. The sales guys said we could add them later but the parts department at multiple dealerships are clueless about adding the roof rails back on. Are the roof rail bolts built into the roof under the black plastic cover? If It's possible to add them should I just go with adding Thule or Yakima rack for a "Naked" roof? I would love some input on this. I turned in a new Honda Odyssey for the D. With 5 kids, I need all the room I can get on the roof! :)

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
Factory rails wont work. Your gonna have to go aftermarket
STEVE

·
Registered
886 Posts
Consensus is dealers will not add the roof rack. I talked to my local Rack N Road store and they do install aftermarket roof rails. I'll leave that as a last resort option. Frankly I'm tired of the hassles of a cargo box on the roof and will probably look at tow hitch cargo boxes for use on camping trips and travel.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Nothing beats an aftermarket roof rack and coffin luggage box...they are super strong, lockable, and hold a ton of stuff. Only thing I don't put on the roof now is bikes, but skis, snowboards, camping gear, luggage and kids stuff all goes in the roof box.

·
Super Moderator
2,287 Posts
Any reason why?
in order to put a factory roof rack on, you have to drill through the roof, thus making it very susceptible to leaks. That's why most dealers and body shops won't even touch it. Aftermarket is really the only way to go

·
Registered
136 Posts
But wouldn't there be holes drilled when put on at the factory?

I can see if not installed correctly leaks can be an issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts