1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
12,824 Posts
There were two different tracks on the Gen-Is..

On my '99 I had the Yakima setup, which slid and locked into the tracks and used the standard Yakima load bars. Totally awesome.

I was unhappy when that didn't work on my '03. I *think* the '02 has the same tracks as the '03, which means limited options..

but I haven't looked at this for a very long time..

...tom

Reactions: kingsblue

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was just looking at the Yakima or Thule type setup. The hard part is figuring out what fits what. You can buy the Thule tracker feet on ebay but they only list numbers. I guess you're supposed to know what you need. I saw on another forum someone mentioning Thule tracker foot 419, and that it's a sub for a 430. Problem is they look different.
Went to Thule and they list nothing. Same with Yakima. Somebody has to have that information.

·
Super Moderator
12,824 Posts
My recollection is that there were Thule and Yakima kits for the early gen-I tracks, both now out of production.. and nobody made anything for the late gen-I tracks.

I *think* I bequeathed my early-gen-I Yakima setup to another DOCer a decade ago..

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the Rhino Rack. I've always had Thule, but this thing is beefier and has a higher weight rating. None are meant for a lot of lumber, but you could get a few on there. I'll try to post pics later if I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Seriously not to threadjack or anything, but I can't tell you how much I appreciate that I can get your pic matted and framed for under 50 bucks! .. lol

Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 10.32.37 AM.jpg

Reactions: kingsblue

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So... I'm back to looking again. Never did get a roof rack. I'm back to needing one again. Any good ideas to lead me to one? I am about to drill holes with a piece of pipe across and hope for the best.

·
Registered
120 Posts
So... I'm back to looking again. Never did get a roof rack. I'm back to needing one again. Any good ideas to lead me to one? I am about to drill holes with a piece of pipe across and hope for the best.
You aren't going to find a rack for these that's rated for more than 150-200 lbs. that's all the roof is rated for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys.
I think I'm going to build one. Basically just about like the one I have only make it out of metal. Remove the cross pieces and then unbolt the rails. Make similar rails out of flat steel bolted back down to the vehicle in the same factory places and have cross pieces welded that are flat on top with small side stops (to help with ladders). Also making it wide enough for a piece of plywood (if needed). Probably will also weld on some eyelets for bungee cords and ratchet straps.
Probably rhino-line the whole thing.
I'll post some pics if I ever get the time to get it done. Might be this winter when I can't do as many outdoor projects.
:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts