Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello friends. I have a 2018 AWD SRT with 45,000 miles on it. Was getting a little road noise so I changed the front wheel hub assemblies this morning. No change. The noise is pretty faint but enough to make me wonder. Could be the tires or rear bearings but there’s some unknowns for me with the rear bearings. Do they have to be pressed out/in?
The tires are Nitto NT05’s with only about 4K miles on them.
Ok a little more detail...the noise is the same on all road surfaces as well as wet or dry, also the noise is the same as with the old tires. The best way I can describe it is it sounds like a wheel bearing that’s getting old...not very loud but noticeable. The tires are 315/35ZR20 110W.

·
Registered
2018 Durango SRT Bruiser Gray
228 Posts
Hello friends. I have a 2018 AWD SRT with 45,000 miles on it. Was getting a little road noise so I changed the front wheel hub assemblies this morning. No change. The noise is pretty faint but enough to make me wonder. Could be the tires or rear bearings but there’s some unknowns for me with the rear bearings. Do they have to be pressed out/in?
The tires are Nitto NT05’s with only about 4K miles on them. View attachment 115541
Does varying tire pressure (within specs) change anything? Did this happen with your old tires? Different road surfaces? Speed? Wet vs. dry? What does it sound like? I don't have any ideas, but with more info it may ring a bell with someone. Also may consider posting in the general DD forums, since it's probably not SRT specific.

·
Registered
72 Posts
At what speeds are you hearing the noise? Does the noise change at all if you turn the steering wheel to transfer the weight of the vehicle? I would think if it happens at lower speeds and if there is no change with turning the steering wheel its the tires. Try and run your hand across the tires you might be able to feel if the tire is uneven/choppy. Some tires are always noisy just due to the tread pattern design.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Find a lift that you can place it on and raise it up with someone you trust and can hear inside. You'll need a stethoscope with the long metal probe, you can from auto store. Have your trusted friend place it in drive and just light it idle, go around and listen to wheel bearings and transmission and differential. Raise the RPM's slowly to see if you can find the culprit. One suggestion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts