Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Durango Limited AWD
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to repair the singular LEDs on the Racetrack, or do you absolutely have to replace the whole thing? I can solder and pull things off circuit boards, but wasn't sure if this was even possible with the racetrack. My newly acquired Durango has the infamous water issue with the circuit board and messing with one section of LEDs in the bottom right. The picture shows what I'm talking about.

PFA

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there a way to repair the singular LEDs on the Racetrack, or do you absolutely have to replace the whole thing? I can solder and pull things off circuit boards, but wasn't sure if this was even possible with the racetrack. My newly acquired Durango has the infamous water issue with the circuit board and messing with one section of LEDs in the bottom right. The picture shows what I'm talking about.

PFA
View attachment 109069
Did you ever find a solution? My guy at the dealership is struggling with this also cuz it's the second Durango that we've had this happen on.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There has to be a way if you are good with a solder gun and multi-meter. I doubt you will find anyone who has fixed theirs but there have been a couple people who have swapped their older style taillights for the racetracks.

They may be able to provide some insight.

Mike58j - Taillight conversion

RumbleBeeAL - tail light swap

I think that would be a marketable service if someone could figure it out and was willing to do that work. Even $300-400 plus shipping both ways would be considerably cheaper than buying new/used. :unsure:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I purchased some 12v trimable led strip lighting, I was going to take a soldering iron and open up the back portion were the light is burned out insert a double band of this in the burned out area and run wires to the connector . Hopefully it looks like 90% original

·
Registered
1 Posts
It hasn't happened to mine, but I noticed water pooling at the bottom of the right side. I figured it was eventually going to happen. Thankfully, it was still under the warrantee, but all they did was swap it..no fix for the actual issue. I remember seeing a post somewhere to correct the problem pulling the light off and using clear caulk to fill some holes on the back side, I'll have to see if I can find it. I did ask about the price without the warrantee, their cost is 700, but walk in of the street and you're going to pay close to 1300.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Durango RT
56 Posts
This same thing happen to me. Honestly its less of a hassle to just buy actual racetrack online used if you don't want to go the brand new route. I noticed that I had mine gone out on both sides, one worst then the other. I bought my racetrack off eBay that showed it fully working and operational for $400. Once I got it, I went ahead and put some weather seal around the taillight housings (You'll clearly see a square where water seeps in at) because the weather seal on mine basically dry rotted and allowed water to pass through. Haven't had an issue since with the new racetrack. Hell I even was able to sell my old one from off my truck for $185 to someone else on eBay, I guess that needed a good housing and was gonna make the project of replacing the LEDs a weekend job. so you could say I only paid half price.

Job took maybe in total 2-4 hours from start to finish. Wasn't In a rush, wanted to make sure everything was done right to prevent from happening later down the road.

Old racetrack

New racetrack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts