Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After bragging about the wife's 2018 Durango never having to go to the dealership under warranty, it is in there today because the navigation system does not know where the vehicle is. (map does not equal where you are).

At 26,000 miles, it is under warranty, but I am seeking input from other forum members who have had their Durangos into the shop under warranty when the navigation system has (literally) lost its way. I assume that they are going to try to update the Uconnect software, and do a hard reset which may fix the symptom, but not necessarily the root problem. The service manager acknowledged that they will not reset the system after it is out of warranty for free. So the question is - how many times did you have to take it in under warranty before they ordered a replacement Uconnect system?

·
Registered
2014 Durango Limited V-6 / AWD
1,080 Posts
There was a recent update to the uConnect software that dealt with an issue like that. A couple of months back, mine started doing that, showing I wasn't in the correct location while driving, whether or not I was navigating along a route. I downloaded the update from the uConnect site, installed it, and it has been fine ever since. You may want to check that before you go to the dealer - I think you plug in your VIN, and it will tell you if you need the update. Took about 30 minutes to do.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well here is the rest of the story, for now:
  1. Made a service appointment on line Monday for Wed 730 AM drop off. Service Manager said he had no record of it when I dropped it off Wed AM.
  2. They had the vehicle all day Wed. Did not assign anyone to work on it until 5 PM. Agreed to leave the vehicle all day Thursday.
  3. They had the vehicle all day Thursday. Said they could not download the update from Chrysler; to be clear, the issue was not that my Uconnect would not update, but the dealership themselves could not download the file to update the Uconnect.
  4. I told them if all they were doing was updating the Uconnect software then I could do it myself.
  5. Entered the VIN last night on the Uconnect website, and Uconnect says the software is update, nothing to download.
Therefore, I still have a Uconnect with a 'broken' GPS/navigation system. I will probably pull the power to the unit this weekend to do a hard reset, and take it to another dealer next week.

Sigh.

·
Registered
221 Posts
  1. Made a service appointment on line Monday for Wed 730 AM drop off. Service Manager said he had no record of it when I dropped it off Wed AM.
  2. They had the vehicle all day Wed. Did not assign anyone to work on it until 5 PM. Agreed to leave the vehicle all day Thursday.
  3. They had the vehicle all day Thursday. Said they could not download the update from Chrysler; to be clear, the issue was not that my Uconnect would not update, but the dealership themselves could not download the file to update the Uconnect.
  4. I told them if all they were doing was updating the Uconnect software then I could do it myself.
  5. Entered the VIN last night on the Uconnect website, and Uconnect says the software is update, nothing to download.
Therefore, I still have a Uconnect with a 'broken' GPS/navigation system. I will probably pull the power to the unit this weekend to do a hard reset, and take it to another dealer next week.

Sigh.
What version software is your vehicle running ?
The update others are referring to don't list the 2018 models as having the problem.
Just a suggestion. Call Chrysler / FCA customer service and open a case. Get the case number before you hang up.
Cover your bases.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
76:
I had a frustrating experience with the RB5/NAV unit in my '14 Charger. My issue was that the NAV unit would not accept an update. After trying a second update thumb drive without success, and an unsuccessful dealer visit, the radio was replaced under warranty.

What general area are you located? Possibly somebody here has had good luck and can recommend another dealer. My dealer has taken pretty good care of me so far, so I keep going back.

Don

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: late last week, called Dodge customer service and opened a case. All the rep did was call the dealership and confirm what I already knew. Three business days, and they don't have their computers fixed to download the software. Also, no commitment as to when they will be able to get me back in.

In the meantime, there are other dealers in the Raleigh NC area, and will plan to take it to another dealer later this week.

In the meantime, I did a little experiment. My 2014 nav system also occasionally goes crazy with the GPS, and I found that unplugging the unit for a few minutes and then plugging back in will force the system to 're-find" where it is. I tried that with my 2018 (which is a different unit than the 2014 - 2017 units), but it did not force the GPS to restart.

Once again, the UConnect site says I have the most current software, while the dealer says I do not, so I can't update it myself.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: a week after leaving the vehicle with one dealership for two days, another dealership also says that the needed file for Uconnect is'corrupt' and they can not update the navigation software. Given the fact that the vehicle has 3 to 4 dozen computers in it, you would assume that FCA would keep their software and computers in better shape.

Sigh x 2.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Sigh.
That's why you should just use your phones Google maps. It's always up to date and is always live data not outdated like the vehicles. They said it would cost me like $200 to update my nav in my 2013 and I said no way. Phone is more accurate.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While I don't disagree with using the phone, this vehicle and it's Uconnect is still under warranty, and all problems have to be documented in case the unit fails out of warranty.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Agreed 100%! I went through quite a mess getting the NAV/radio replaced in my '14 because it would not accept map updates. The unit was finally replaced under my Lifetime Max Care after over a year of back and forth.

There is an '11 Charger owner here with a clock issue on his radio, and after much back and forth, FCA admits that the problem is a software error, and they refuse to make it right under his Lifetime Max Care because of the car's age.

As long as you have warranty, they should pony up and make it right!

Don

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For what it is worth, talked to Uconnect customer service, and they admitted they have several problems with updates. We will see if they can deliver the software to one of the local dealers. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
125 Posts
For what it is worth, talked to Uconnect customer service, and they admitted they have several problems with updates. We will see if they can deliver the software to one of the local dealers. Stay tuned.
I did the Uconnect software update on our '17 Durango R/T by downloading the update and everything works just fine. However, the driveuconnect.com website still thinks I need an update and FCA emailed the update on a flimsy USB drive out of the blue. I gave them a call last night and they updated my account.

The Customer Service person said that Uconnect is working with FCA to get the dealers to do the updates as the update system can be a little wonky. It seems that it likes USB drive that's totally clean and less than 32gb. And it doesn't like ScanDisk USB drives at all --- nor a couple of other brands. I can't imagine that a dealership only has one computer that can download a file.

The only issue I had doing the download was that the zip file didn't want to unzip on my wife's Windows-based laptop. (I'd been advised to use a Windows-based machine instead of my MacBook for a previous update on my Challenger.). I took the thumb drive to my MacBook and it unzipped just fine. From that point on, everything was easy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
That's why you should just use your phones Google maps. It's always up to date and is always live data not outdated like the vehicles. They said it would cost me like $200 to update my nav in my 2013 and I said no way. Phone is more accurate.
That's a great plan until you end up somewhere without mobile phone service. A few years ago we were day-tripping some backroads in my wife's '13 Charger R/T that did not have NAV and were using Google Maps on her iPhone.

Everything was fine until we crossed the St. Johns River on the Fort Gates Ferry and started through the Ocala National Forest. As we got a little farther away from civilization we lost all mobile phone service ... and had to dig out an old map of Florida from the glove box.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After bragging about the wife's 2018 Durango never having to go to the dealership under warranty, it is in there today because the navigation system does not know where the vehicle is. (map does not equal where you are).

At 26,000 miles, it is under warranty, but I am seeking input from other forum members who have had their Durangos into the shop under warranty when the navigation system has (literally) lost its way. I assume that they are going to try to update the Uconnect software, and do a hard reset which may fix the symptom, but not necessarily the root problem. The service manager acknowledged that they will not reset the system after it is out of warranty for free. So the question is - how many times did you have to take it in under warranty before they ordered a replacement Uconnect system?
I literally just created an account to post in this thread. I have a 2018 RT, 13k miles, with the same issue. It seems to have no idea where it is, or what direction its facing anymore. I made an appointment with the dealership before christmas, and they couldn't figure it out. All the software is up to date. They told me they had to get chrysler corp. involved. I had to bring it back after the new year, and then they had it for over a week. In the end, they said I need a new radio, and it was expected to be in the 25th, but that got pushed back to 2/3. I am also subscribed to the uconnect app on my phone, and got the monthly status updates... I noticed that stopped working in November. Its like everything that involves the GPS satellites and the built in cellular modem has failed, and failed sometime in November. SiriusXM still works OK, but after I tried "rebooting" it all by disconnecting the battery, I had to reset the clock manually because without a gps signal, it wouldn't set it......... I joked with the dealer that I just docked the durango because when I brought it in, the navigation system showed me floating near the shore in a large body of water, while sitting in their service bay............................. I guess we'll see how it goes from here......

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is something to look forward to:

Perhaps an eventual replacement in my 2014 (after enough of them show up in junk yards........). Of course, since the new system is Android based, all of the in house Uconnect programmers (which use QNX) will be gone, and there will be fewer and fewer updates for the first generation Uconnects........

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well to give an update finally, Uconnect finally came through with a replacement radio. 3 case managers, multiple promise dates that came and went, lots of radio silence in between causing us to call weekly to get any info, and it finally arrived at my local dealer on this past Monday 6/22/2020. I understood some of the delays related to COVID-19, but seven months since the first appointment is unacceptable. However, now that the replacement radio is installed, my issue has been resolved and the nav works as its supposed to. If you or anyone else reading this has these issues, and requires a replacement radio...good luck.....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well to give an update finally, Uconnect finally came through with a replacement radio. 3 case managers, multiple promise dates that came and went, lots of radio silence in between causing us to call weekly to get any info, and it finally arrived at my local dealer on this past Monday 6/22/2020. I understood some of the delays related to COVID-19, but seven months since the first appointment is unacceptable. However, now that the replacement radio is installed, my issue has been resolved and the nav works as its supposed to. If you or anyone else reading this has these issues, and requires a replacement radio...good luck.....
I had an issue with my radio last year in which it broke Android Auto capability with my headunit. It also took about 7 to 8 months to rectify mainly because I wasnt really pushing the issue until the last few months. As uconnect originally said it was a phone issue despite it working in other vehicles just fine. They ultimately had to replace my media hub and uconnect head unit to remedy my issues. Glad you got your issues resolved.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That's a great plan until you end up somewhere without mobile phone service. A few years ago we were day-tripping some backroads in my wife's '13 Charger R/T that did not have NAV and were using Google Maps on her iPhone.

Everything was fine until we crossed the St. Johns River on the Fort Gates Ferry and started through the Ocala National Forest. As we got a little farther away from civilization we lost all mobile phone service ... and had to dig out an old map of Florida from the glove box.
The 2018s have WiFi capability which I have driven my Durango from KY to GA to NC and never found myself without WiFi service even though verizon 4G had dropped in a few places.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The 2018s have WiFi capability which I have driven my Durango from KY to GA to NC and never found myself without WiFi service even though verizon 4G had dropped in a few places.
My ‘17 is also WiFi capable. But since I have an old phone plan that has unlimited data, my Scottish heritage makes me too frugal to pay for WiFi in a vehicle that’s typically driven only for very short trips. I can stream all I want ... as long as I have a signal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
They just ordered a radio for me under warranty after giving me all kinds of excused as to why they couldn't fix it. The problem is they make these updates and don't inform people when or why they should expect problems. Therefore you have people visiting the dealer when the problem is with uconnect. I demanded a replacement because I know once that warranty is up they will say I should have replaced it before the warranty was up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts