Dodge Durango Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good evening new user to the site.

I have a 2017 Durango SXT AWD, 3.6 with 75000 miles and its currently at the dealer for a #2 Cylinder Misfire P0302. The repair bill is sitting at $1250 but they have requested additional approval for $680 more.

So far it was not a spark plug, wire or coil pack and they just replaced the rockers but was no help. Tomorrow they will try a fuel injector. I do not have an extended warranty but they have offered to reach out to their Regional Rep to cover the costs with a $100 deductible. BUT the catch is I take care of overdue recommended items, i.e. Brake Fluid Flush, Transmission and Differential Fluid change, alignment, tire rotation and fuel injection cleaning for a total of about $1200. They claim this will be in my favor for requesting assistance from Chrysler to cover the engine repairs.

Needless to say, I am calling BS but do not know how to approach this with the dealer. They claim the rockers were changed as they are following the guidance of a technical bulletin for the Cylinder Misfire.

Has anyone had this issue and what was your experience with the Cylinder Misfire? My first experience with the Pentastar V6 was 165K miles with no issue in a 2011 Town and Country but now not such a good experience.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2014 RT purchased last year with 55K miles

At 62K miles the transfer case failed. Replaced under powertrain warranty ~$2300

Last month the fuel pump failed around 76K miles. Replaced under my extended warranty ~$1200

It's currently at the dealer for a radiator and two engine mounts with 78K miles. Replaced under my extended warranty ~$2200

I don't have maxcare, just some other 3yr 36K mile warranty that covers pretty much everything except wear items and shocks. I paid $2200 for this warranty and am super glad I did!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Just before my 36k warranty expired I had my radiator replaced. Then sometime late last year, the rear a/c stopped working. Fried wiring harness / module and blower motor. There does not appear to be a fuse either. That hit me for $700 bucks ... I am creeping up on 97k miles.

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
Good evening new user to the site.

I have a 2017 Durango SXT AWD, 3.6 with 75000 miles and its currently at the dealer for a #2 Cylinder Misfire P0302. The repair bill is sitting at $1250 but they have requested additional approval for $680 more.

So far it was not a spark plug, wire or coil pack and they just replaced the rockers but was no help. Tomorrow they will try a fuel injector. I do not have an extended warranty but they have offered to reach out to their Regional Rep to cover the costs with a $100 deductible. BUT the catch is I take care of overdue recommended items, i.e. Brake Fluid Flush, Transmission and Differential Fluid change, alignment, tire rotation and fuel injection cleaning for a total of about $1200. They claim this will be in my favor for requesting assistance from Chrysler to cover the engine repairs.

Needless to say, I am calling BS but do not know how to approach this with the dealer. They claim the rockers were changed as they are following the guidance of a technical bulletin for the Cylinder Misfire.

Has anyone had this issue and what was your experience with the Cylinder Misfire? My first experience with the Pentastar V6 was 165K miles with no issue in a 2011 Town and Country but now not such a good experience.

Jetdoc:
This is a cash grab on the dealer's part plain and simple. They want to get paid twice by having you pay for all these "services", and then asking FCA to cover the lion's shared of the repair which they should do anyway due to the age of the D.
The only items I see on their "list" that make sense are the trans and diffs. Hold onto your wallet on the trans, as they will charge $700 for that alone! If the recommended service is not listed in your owners manual, it is not needed.

Don

Reactions: hamada128

·
Registered
18 Posts
17’ SXT 2wd 67k. Routine recalls and racetrack light repaired out of warranty $1100.00. Repair paid by Enterprise lease co. Nothing else but tires and routine oil changes. Run this thing hard it is a company leased vehicle. Load it up with tools, parts even a 8’ ladder. 5 others Ds in fleet no major issues except one was in bad accident and had trans replaced under warranty likely caused by accident.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
2017 Durango RT (in service 3 years)
Rear Racetrack Light Replacement (water infiltration, no burnt out lights)
Replaced under warranty - cost unknown

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Hmmm, I think I'd get on the phone with FCA. Even though you're over the 60K mileage limit for the powertrain, I bet they work with you and cover the repair. Does your extended warranty not cover this?
Also, no way I agree to pay for repairs that don't solve the issue, that is why you would bring it to the dealer in the first place...for their expertise in diagnose and repair of problem without throwing parts at it and seeing what sticks.
On the other maintenance items..if it doesn't show in your manual...and most won't, then no need to perform.
I tell FCA about that as well.

·
Registered
2014 Durango Limited V-6 / AWD
1,088 Posts
2014 Limited, V-6 AWD 161,440 miles in 5 1/2 years. Aside from scheduled maintenance (and repairs from hitting a deer)...

74K - Reset Radio Frequency Hub Module (wouldn't read key fob): $127 Labor + tow to dealer
130K - Replaced radiator and transmission cooler due to leaking connection, replaced 2 motor mounts: $100
161K - Replaced radio (backup camera was inop), replaced leaking steering rack, replaced leaking transmission cooler: $100

I'm on my third set of tires, and my original brake pads and rotors. I have the lifetime MaxCare warranty. The repairs at 130K would have run about $1,200. I don't know what the repairs at 161K would have run, but I'd say the warranty ($2,300) has pretty much paid for itself at this point.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Dropped my car off at a trusted shop for an oil change...they called to tell me my engine oil pan is going to need replacing because the plastic drain plug looks like its about to bust. $1200.....called a dealer for reference...they said $1600.

Thankfully the shop said they can use one of those suction machines to do the service and I dont need to replace it right this moment.

Over all I'm becoming less enthralled with the long term reliability of this car (65k right now) Next time I know, that if I ever buy another FCA product...get the extended warranty.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I’ve been fortunate all this stuff has been under warranty.
-water pump (unsure of $)
-exhaust studs (450 ish)
-trans pan leak (700+ for

...at 98k miles...time to trade it in! Lmao!

ps..facing replace all 4 struts/shocks, load leveling rears are 300+ a piece! Woohoo!

·
Registered
179 Posts
+1 on what sarlacc says. If I bought a new fca vehicle I would contact the gentleman mentioned on this forum about the warranty. It would have paid for itself no doubt.

buying certified preowned is a good idea too if possible for warranty extensions.

Reactions: Don Fox

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Dropped my car off at a trusted shop for an oil change...they called to tell me my engine oil pan is going to need replacing because the plastic drain plug looks like its about to bust. $1200.....called a dealer for reference...they said $1600.

Thankfully the shop said they can use one of those suction machines to do the service and I dont need to replace it right this moment.

Over all I'm becoming less enthralled with the long term reliability of this car (65k right now) Next time I know, that if I ever buy another FCA product...get the extended warranty.
The plug itself is metal, as is the bung it screws into. But make sure they’re actually changing it. I had to change my pan, and the 5.7 has a baffle of some sort that prevents most tubing from getting down. I had to use the dipstick to force some fish tank air line past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
2017 R/T 26k on it.
Had the hood repainted due to bubbling near both head lights on the corners of the hood. I was tod this was a common problem.
That's it, nothing has gone wrong, not even under warranty repairs. Oil changes and tire rotations is all I do.
I spend a ton of money on detail supplies LOL.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The plug itself is metal, as is the bung it screws into. But make sure they’re actually changing it. I had to change my pan, and the 5.7 has a baffle of some sort that prevents most tubing from getting down. I had to use the dipstick to force some fish tank air line past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After reading about a plastic plug and plastic pan I HAD to go check it out! Lol skippy is right on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2015 rallye limited blacktop pkg. 79000kms. Replaced my first racetrack light in December 2017. I have an appointment in 10 days to put my 5th race track light in. Water infiltration all 5 times. This past May I turned my AC on and no cold air. Took it to the stealership and they said my rear AC lines were corroded and needed replacing. I rust proof my car every year. I was 10k over my warranty. They estimated $3800 for the repair. I took it in to a local reputable AC business who’s been in my town for 60 years. They said the lines were fine in the back and recharged my system. Worked great all summer and cost me $460 labour and freon. Once I get this race track light replaced, I’m trading it in. I’m not paying $1000 a year for that light. Looking at a Ram.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Never in a million years did I expect to buy any American car. Too many nightmares back in the 80's...
That’s my story too. My wife has had a 2014 Limited and 2017 GT, and i am about to pick up a 2019 Citadel. I’ve mostly driven Japanese and German luxury cars, and I was pretty impressed that the 2014 Durango was almost as comfortable and drove very similar to her 2011 MB GL450 for a lot less money.

The 2014 had no issues in 45k miles and it was just oil changes and tire rotations (though I needed tires just before the end of the lease).

So we got the 2017, and that one had a leaky transfer case that took multiple appointments to get fixed right. Definitely unhappy that Dodge Dealers can be so lazy and just say “no leak found”, but I persevered and got it resolved a few months back. Otherwise, just rattling chrome trim around the instrument cluster on that one so far at 43k. I am going to drive The 2017 for aboit 5k, until the lease ends in March ao I can pass my Acura to my son — my wife will get the 2019 Citadel.

·
Registered
103 Posts
2015 rallye limited blacktop pkg. 79000kms. Replaced my first racetrack light in December 2017. I have an appointment in 10 days to put my 5th race track light in. Water infiltration all 5 times. This past May I turned my AC on and no cold air. Took it to the stealership and they said my rear AC lines were corroded and needed replacing. I rust proof my car every year. I was 10k over my warranty. They estimated $3800 for the repair. I took it in to a local reputable AC business who’s been in my town for 60 years. They said the lines were fine in the back and recharged my system. Worked great all summer and cost me $460 labour and freon. Once I get this race track light replaced, I’m trading it in. I’m not paying $1000 a year for that light. Looking at a Ram.
Wow, this is unbelievable! 5 tail light assemblies in 5 model years. It is obvious that Dodge has done little/nothing about updating this part. The thing is, the racetrack lights are so much a part of the identity of this suv, to NOT address this is foolish.

My 2017 just had the whole thing replaced under warranty. No way I will pay to replace this part, there is a DIY on this site to fix a deficiency that Dodge couldn't figure out.

Love the vehicle, but c'mon man, Dodge needs to pick it up and do the right thing. Put out a TSB, fix the lights.

·
Registered
136 Posts
2018 R/T AWD @ 27,000 miles. No issues to date, I have added in a UPR catch can, does have the Hemi Tick on cold startup. Runs on AMSOil, changes when the computer says it wants it. So far I love the thing. Traded in a 2014 Grand Cherokee Altitude with 80,000 miles, it was literally flawless for 4 years which is what swayed me to the Durango. I will have to keep an eye on the things multiple people listed (Radiator and A/C especially). My last 2 SUV's (non FCA) had issues with the A/C also, seems like this is a weak spot for some reason.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
2014 Citadel w/tow. 101K miles.

Repairs under warranty; water pump, exhaust studs.
Parts failed that were replaced outside warranty; 1 HID bulb.
Things needing to be addressed; driver door lock does not always lock with key fob.

All maintenance done by me since 3yr/36K warranty.
Plugs just replaced, serpentine belt and tensioner to be replaced soon.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
..just to add to the above.
I'm on 2nd set of tires, 1 4-wheel alignment, replaced wiper blades once and change oil and filters per factory requirements.
Still on factory brakes at 101K miles!
So IMO to date an extended warranty would not have been a wise choice.
Maybe I'll feel different at 200K.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts