Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even if you have had ZERO repairs done, please comment with your mileage.... for the rest of you, if you have had repairs done on your Durango please comment on your repair history.

Include the item that was repaired, durango model mileage/age at repair, repair cost for the DEALER (this is to show what it would cost if NO warranty), and if it was repaired due to damage or if defective... also share if the repair was covered under your warranty (to show the benefit of having the warranty).

I'm just trying to pull all this repair history into 1 thread for future reference and for people to understand the potential benefit of a warranty on these vehicles. Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
2014 Dodge Durango currently at 60,600 miles

This year I had to replace (out of warranty):

Dealer - Both front and rear EVAPs - $2700....FCA goodwill only had me pay $680
Dealer - AC condensor - $1000 - Dealer had me pay $50
Independent Mechanic - Plastic hose causing emissions leak - $200 including diagnostic fee/smoke test. I had no time to suss it out and do it myself.
Independent Mechanic - Front Struts - $1100

·
Registered
2017 durango sxt,tinted windows,Cooper tires, oem splash guards, husky liners, avs vent shades,Clean
132 Posts
2017sxt with 20k..
Just a couple oil changes and tire rotations.
All good here

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
2014 Citadel 41,000 miles

Radiator hose free
Radiator free
Rear load level shocks and mounts lifetime service contract $100

Reactions: SirManny

·
Registered
147 Posts
2015 RT, currently 31000 miles

18,000 miles (27 months): replaced steering rack due to leak. Covered under warranty.
18,000 miles (27 months): replaced front brake rotors due to warping. Rotors (p/n 68035012AD) were $100ea on Amazon, did the work myself
22,000 miles (35 months): replaced passenger B-pillar trim due to it coming off. Covered under warranty.
26,000 miles (40 months): replaced transmission; while troubleshooting harsh downshifts, found metal debris. Covered under warranty and transmission warranty extended 3yr/100k miles.
30,000 miles (46 months): TCM flash to fix harsh downshifts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
On my 2011 I had to do the following:

$90 coolant flush because I mixed in some random coolant when the water pump failed, warranty covered the water pump

$1,100 for a fuel pump

Brake booster failed, covered under recall

~$900 for AC compressor

$1,000 for a new oil pan because it’s plastic and the drain plug seized to the metal bung in the pan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
666 Posts
Great thread for those on the fence about getting the Maxcare plan. I paid about $2k for mine and, of course, at 57k miles I've not had one single issue. I'm still running the OEM tires that look like they have at least another 5k in them!

Get the plan to guarantee that you're ownership experience will be completely trouble-free. 8-D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great thread for those on the fence about getting the Maxcare plan. I paid about $2k for mine and, of course, at 57k miles I've not had one single issue. I'm still running the OEM tires that look like they have at least another 5k in them!

Get the plan to guarantee that you're ownership experience will be completely trouble-free. 8-D
Have you done anything above-and-beyond on the maintenance side to make sure it doesn't have any issues? I'm impressed you haven't had problems. I wonder if you're in the majority, but we usually only hear about the bad stuff on the forums. Good price for the maxcare plan - how old was it when you got the plan - and what's the year/mileage for your plan?

·
Registered
74 Posts
2014 SXT+ AWD V6: Currently 101K miles

Repairs:
92K miles: replaced slowly leaking radiator. Covered by Maxcare warranty. $100 deductible.
99K miles: Replaced front headlight assembly due to excessive moisture. $600 at dealer (not a warranty item).

Maintenance:
Oil changes & tire rotation every 6K miles.
75K miles: flush brake fluid. $80 at independent mechanic.
81K miles: replace drive-line fluids: $250 at independent mechanic.
99K miles: replace spark plugs. $400 at dealer
Still has original brakes and rotors at 101K miles!

Overall, very pleased with vehicle. It is aging well, hope to be running this at 200K+ miles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2014 SXT+ AWD V6: Currently 101K miles

Repairs:
92K miles: replaced slowly leaking radiator. Covered by Maxcare warranty. $100 deductible.
99K miles: Replaced front headlight assembly due to excessive moisture. $600 at dealer (not a warranty item).

Maintenance:
Oil changes & tire rotation every 6K miles.
75K miles: flush brake fluid. $80 at independent mechanic.
81K miles: replace drive-line fluids: $250 at independent mechanic.
99K miles: replace spark plugs. $400 at dealer
Still has original brakes and rotors at 101K miles!

Overall, very pleased with vehicle. It is aging well, hope to be running this at 200K+ miles.
I like to see more and more people reporting that they haven't had many issues.

·
Registered
68 Posts
2011 AWD R/T 140,000 ish miles.

Very early issues with trans going into limp mode, I think I am on 4th valve body, with over 100k miles with no issues. Manufacturer Warranty

Right front strut bad noise, replaced manufacturer warranty

Rear load leveling shock rattle, replaced manufacturer warranty

Odd thump at about 10mph, reprogrammed computer, manufacturer warranty

“Fish bite” Star case, reprogrammed/valvebody. Not sure which fixed it as they were both done at the same time. Manufacture warranty

A/C controls would not sync rear, replaced the control panel, maxcare

Water pump leak, replaced water pump, maxcare

Thermostat stuck open, replaced thermostat, maxcare

Driver seat heat, replaced heating element, maxcare

Driver memory link to key fob quit working, not sure what they did but it works, maxcare

Oil pan leak, replaced oil pan, maxcare

Left engine mount broken/leaking, replaced it.
Maxcare

Pass windshield washer squirter broken, replaced out of pocket.

Rear vents blowing cold with heat on, replaced heater core, maxcare

Pass side manifold leak/broken exhaust stud. Replaced stud and manifold, maxcare

Back up camera stopped working, replaced under maxcare

Transcooler leak, replaced cooler, maxcare

Rear hatch lock/unlock button quit working, replaced the complete panel, maxcare

Cup holder “spring out fingers” one broke and fell in, replaced entire cup holder assembly, maxcare

Power steering rack leak, replaced rack, maxcare

Brake booster failure, replaced booster recall/
Maxcare

On my third relay for the TIPM recall.

Both outer tie rod ends, replaced with maxcare

Blue smoke on start up for about the first year and a half, once my free oil changes ran out I started changing it myself. I noticed that when 7 quarts was put in it was “low” on the dip stick, but it stopped smoking. Saw the TSB on the wrong dipstick length but it did not apply to 2011 MY. Funny thing is if you try to order a dipstick for a 2011 it is superceded by the new part number in the TSB, ordered a new dipstick and wouldn’t you know it shows full with 7 quarts now, out of pocket $25 bucks.

The dealer I use does not show the prices of the maxcare work they do, so I have no idea of what the value of all that is. I do sleep quite soundly knowing it is well over what I paid for the warranty. Sorry I do not have the mileage for all this, I don’t have the time to go through all my records to look. I have performed all scheduled maintenance on the vehicle, 3rd set of tires, 3rd set of front brakes, second set of back brakes. I am extremely pleased with this warranty and would get it a thousand times over( bought it through Clay) I keep a list of things on my phone that need fixed, when it piles up to be worth $100 to me, or is serious enough I take it in. I still love this thing, how solid and substantial it feels when you drive it, the sound of the exhaust (stock), how quiet it is on the road and how well it eats up the miles in comfort. Even though it is 8 years old it does not look or feel dated to me. There are times I wish I had the racetrack tail lights, but then I read about the water issue on those. Overall happy camper and would buy again, mechanical stuff breaks, it is nice to only have to pay $100 for it to be fixed.

Reactions: Don Fox

·
Registered
666 Posts
Have you done anything above-and-beyond on the maintenance side to make sure it doesn't have any issues? I'm impressed you haven't had problems. I wonder if you're in the majority, but we usually only hear about the bad stuff on the forums. Good price for the maxcare plan - how old was it when you got the plan - and what's the year/mileage for your plan?
I do my own oil changes, I had to add a pint of coolant to the reservoir, one front turn signal bulb burnt out (I replaced them both), and there were a couple of software update recalls. Other than that, nil.

I bought the lifetime/unlimited mileage plan at about 11k miles (just under the limit). I followed everyone's advice here and got it from Clay at Zellar motors. I drive a lot (57k in 32 months) and generally keep cars forever. I know how much stuff costs to repair so buying a $48k vehicle that would be out of warranty in 3/36 just was not something I'd do.

Never in a million years did I expect to buy any American car. Too many nightmares back in the 80's but my wife had an '08 Dodge Avenger that was, despite two almost-totaled wrecks, like the Eveready bunny. I've been a Kia guy since '09 (very long warranty was the main selling point). We gave the Avenger to my daughter in '13 and for four years it just kept plugging along. She's still driving it and with over 160k on it now is still plugging along (it needed a water pump but that might be a leftover from one of the wrecks). I was sufficiently impressed by that car to look at the Durango and I was immediately sold. None of the competition even came close.

I'm pretty firmly in the camp that thinks modern Dodge's are pretty damned reliable cars. They sell, what, 60k Durango's a year right? They recently passed the 10 millionth V-6 Pentastar engine built. How many people out of all those trucks log on here and complain? Not too many as a percentage of the total sold. Folks do have their problems but I've yet to read about any that seem like huge, systemic issues (at least with the V-6, the V-8 though seems a little worse and I'm glad I didn't get one of those).

·
Registered
33 Posts
2017 Durango RT. Just had radiator replaced under warranty. Developed a small leak on the drivers side for no reason. Other than a few oil changes so far so good.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just about to hit 100,000. Had the steering rack replaced under warranty at 95,000. And just oil changes every 5,000.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
'17 SXT, 30,000 miles, no repairs outside of a recall.
Normal PM's also covered cost-wise, per a purchased PM plan.
She's been a reel gem, just like the '02 Ram I traded-in for her ( still kicking myself for not sticking that old pickup in a barn, to be found by my grandkids).

·
Registered
23 Posts
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic RT
Had water in the tail light assembly around 2015, replaced at the dealer under warranty. The rep said I would have been paying over 1k. I noticed water starting to collect again and after some thought I popped the lower screw off the assembly and water drained out. Now I just keep that crew off, keep an eye out for water and pop the trunk when needed. No problem since.

Had the oil dipstick issue fixed same day. No charge. (Thanks to a post I read here)

Added the tow hitch myself following Peter Rebritsy YouTube guide. Paid $87 at Maaco to match the paint on the tow hitch cover.

Purchased the Legmaker CAI, Billet catch can, and Diablo tuner.

Right headlight went out and bought 2 new ones. Phillips something, something... $120, maybe a little more.

New tires and bought 20x10 rims around 56k. (I believe)

I have an issue with the Supplemental Head Restraint on the passenger side. The clips broke out of nowhere and popped my wife in the head. Took it to the dealer and ultimately they wouldn't cover it over some BS! They will replace it for $907 though. I'm still driving around with this thing sticking out. No one complains about it so I'm not in a rush to fix it. I'm still looking for the part number because I think I can DIY-it. So if you're reading this, help a brother out... :D

Other than that, I do all of the maintenance on timely intervals. She runs like a champ. The gas mileage is great for a V8. Road trips are enjoyable without feeling crammed. I am extremely happy with my D!

Many Many Thanks to all the members of the forum for all of your wisdom and insights, you've made my life easier!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Repair work on 2012 Durango

Even if you have had ZERO repairs done, please comment with your mileage.... for the rest of you, if you have had repairs done on your Durango please comment on your repair history.

Include the item that was repaired, durango model mileage/age at repair, repair cost for the DEALER (this is to show what it would cost if NO warranty), and if it was repaired due to damage or if defective... also share if the repair was covered under your warranty (to show the benefit of having the warranty).

I'm just trying to pull all this repair history into 1 thread for future reference and for people to understand the potential benefit of a warranty on these vehicles. Thanks[/

Recall for fuel pump relay replacement, tech bulletin to repair brake master controller, replaced fuel pump relay this April because once every couple months, engine stalls on startup, on 2 retry, starts and runs fine, happened again a few weeks ago, so still a mystery, 78k miles, otherwise love this vehicle for long trips and/or towing our 23 ft pull behind camper.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
1,166 Posts
Bought a couple of Tail Light Bulbs for $9!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts