Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am gathering a list of part numbers to replace the shocks and struts on my ‘15 r/t and having trouble getting clarity on the rear mounts. I have the load leveling rear and plan to keep it, but cannot find a rear shock mount specific for it. Are all the rear mounts the same, regardless of leveling or not? Thanks everyone, I tried searching but was not able to find this answer.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had my rear self leveling shocks replaced last fall and if I remember correctly it’s a complete unit. I didn’t take pictures of the actual shock but remember it came out as one piece when the dealership showed me one was blown.

I also looked up the p/n for the nivomat shocks and got this: 68330536AA - Mopar Shock absorber kit. Suspension. Rear. Damper, module, maintenance | Chrysler Jeep Dodge City, McKinney TX

As you can see (although pictures aren’t always accurate) it confirms what I saw in person. Also, I looked at my invoice and there were no other parts listed when the work was done, just the shock. Now I don’t know if it’s protocol to replace shock mounts and plates if the shock is replaced by a dealership, one would think so...

I would also venture to guess you might need part #18 (shock plate) in the diagram, but again it doesn’t look like it was replaced by my dealership when my self leveling shocks were replaced. Not sure. If the shock plate is metal and it’s sandwiched between the shock mount and body of the vehicle I highly doubt it would be a “wear item” that would need to be replaced every time the shocks are replaced.

Long post...food for thought.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s a really helpful schematic with the part numbers to cross reference. Thank you for the long post it is helpful. I may try to dig into more dealer type part schematics and see if I can get different mount part numbers depending on if the shock is load level or not.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I know that if you replace the load levelers with non load levelers these are the part numbers to do the conversion:

Durango non leveling shocks
-Shock Absorber - Mopar (68299126AA) or other brand of your choice
-Bumper - Mopar (68063781AE)
-Shield - Mopar (68029592AD)
-Upper Mount - Mopar (68029590AF)
-Upper Mount Plate - Mopar (5181844AA)
-Upper Mount Bolt - Mopar (6105064AA)
-Nut - Mopar (6506276AA)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the conversion info, but I want to keep mine.

I did see that mopar has different part numbers for non and load level components, so I will keep searching or just use oem. I am going with KYB rears and Rancho fronts, was thinking they may build a better mount, but can’t find a leveling specific rear.

About using oem, are they still wearing out fast? I thought I read somewhere on here they cause low speed squeak/creak etc. noises premature

·
Registered
261 Posts
I listed the conversion parts so you know what ISN’T part of the load leveling system.

If you take the load levelers out you will need the components I listed for the shocks to mount correctly. Some shocks that are common to replace the load levelers are MOPAR, KYB, Monroe and Bilstein.

If you are replacing the load levelers, you only have one choice which are the OEM ones I listed.

There’s always air ride suspension as well...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kyb offers a load leveling replacement now, SR2009’s I was going to try them out. No air suspension for me, don’t need it.

Reactions: DuRonbo

·
Registered
261 Posts
Kyb offers a load leveling replacement now, SR2009’s I was going to try them out. No air suspension for me, don’t need it.
I stand corrected and apologize. I looked at 2016 MY and see that you are 2015 MY. Looks like a bare shock so I would think you’d still need at the very least:

Bumper - Mopar (68063781AE)
Shield - Mopar (68029592AD)
Upper Mount - Mopar (68029590AF)

And possibly...

Upper Mount Plate - Mopar (5181844AA)
Upper Mount Bolt - Mopar (6105064AA)
Nut - Mopar (6506276AA)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Any idea what model Bilstein shocks will work w/ the conversion from the load balancing shocks? I’ve seen a few pics
of JGC SRT’s that have Bilsteins w/ some type of remote reservoir. Will that work? I plan to tow every once in a blue, but seldom. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just wondering, are the shocks covered by the max care warranty?
I don’t have the maxcare warranty through FCA but my 3rd party extended bumper to bumper warranty covered them. I don’t remember the exact dollar amount but with parts and labor it was close to $2K. Depends on which warranty you have I suppose. Always call before going to the dealership

·
Registered
261 Posts
Any idea what model Bilstein shocks will work w/ the conversion from the load balancing shocks? I’ve seen a few pics
of JGC SRT’s that have Bilsteins w/ some type of remote reservoir. Will that work? I plan to tow every once in a blue, but seldom. Thanks guys!

Only listed for 2011-2015 but don’t see why they would work with 2016+ as well. Just need proper mounts, plates, bolts and nuts.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I placed my Bilstein & mopar parts orders today to convert from load leveling. (Thx for the part #’s awehlage) I’m gearing up for a major transformation.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By the looks of the problems with KYB’s load leveling shocks...I might be converting my durango after all! What a crock, after this many years, to have parts so grossly wrong

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think I too am going to convert to non load leveling shocks. INSANELY expensive and they're got a reputation for failing. And the only somewhat economical alternative shock is KYBs SR2009 which doesn't apparently doesn't fit anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Guys anyone who done that conversion to non load leveling? I have a 2011 Citadel.

Do I just need to buy the mounts and shocks? Thinking of going Bilstein

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys anyone who done that conversion to non load leveling? I have a 2011 Citadel.

Do I just need to buy the mounts and shocks? Thinking of going Bilstein
I did the conversion, this is what I bought and installed, just new shocks and upper mounts.
The only thing I didn’t like so far was losing that bit of rake. It’s leveled perfectly now, but makes me think it’s sagging (mental thing I know.) Also idk if it’s another worn out component or these shocks but my rig seems more bouncier now. Still riding it out. No noises or actual problems though

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did the conversion, this is what I bought and installed, just new shocks and upper mounts.
View attachment 110629 The only thing I didn’t like so far was losing that bit of rake. It’s leveled perfectly now, but makes me think it’s sagging (mental thing I know.) Also idk if it’s another worn out component or these shocks but my rig seems more bouncier now. Still riding it out. No noises or actual problems though
Many thanks Woody88. I saw that you also bought a strut below - suppose that and a mount plate is not needed?

Will give this a try. Ill save a good amount of money.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts