STEVE

·
Registered
504 Posts
If they call me my loaner better be awesome. lol

·
Premium Member
28,308 Posts
The vendor for the rear control arms is reporting that their heat treating process was not performed correctly when manufacturing the arms from a certain batch. What does that mean they arms will Crack and the wheel will probably fall off and take brake lines with it.
That vendor needs to be hung
STEVE

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
The heat treatment is for strength of the components. If not done correctly they can not guarantee the parts can survive the abuse they take when driving around. For it just being less then 100 cars looks like the vendors quality control really stepped up and did its job. I'd be more concerned if they said 20-30k vehicle have this issue.
The control arm would prob collapse on itself and have you dealing with less braking power and possible loss of control.
If I had this part on my truck I would have found it already when I hit the road I call the moon in NYC .

When I worked for Toyota they had a ball joint recall it effect 990,000 SUVs pick ups , this stuff can happen to any manufacture

·
Super Moderator
13,119 Posts
sounds like they are very recent builds.. and only a handful of units made it into the wild.. pretty unlikely you are on the list.

more interesting is that there are almost 8K units "that need inspection" with only 1% of those having been delivered.

Looks like about a week of production at the plant.

That supplier is gonna be in deep trouble. Wonder if it was an internal or external supplier..

·
Premium Member
28,308 Posts
Well the rear control arm was something they took from Daimler as it mimics the Mercedes rear control arm, so it may be an in house manufacturing vendor
STEVE

·
Super Moderator
13,119 Posts
"Model-year 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokees and Dodge Durango SUVs assembled from June 12 through June 20 are included in the recall."

·
Registered
504 Posts
Awesome, I am not included in this.

Reactions: AmStatic

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just got a call from the dealership service department -- they are coming to my house this am to inspect it, if it doesn't meet the heat requirements they will tow it........ I have had it 6 days. Not a good start for a first time Dodge owner...UGH!!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
I just got a call from the dealership service department -- they are coming to my house this am to inspect it, if it doesn't meet the heat requirements they will tow it........ I have had it 6 days. Not a good start for a first time Dodge owner...UGH!!!
Wait.. they found a part that was a serious problem.. they called you.. they go to your house to check on it... and IF it needs to be fixed they'll tow it and fix it and bring it back to you?

1) That's one helluva serious problem
2) They found it 6 days after you took ownership... that's pretty fast for a recall
3) Serious or not, that's some darned snappy good customer service.. Dontcha wish ALL production issues got that kind of attention?

Think positively! You were one of a handful of people with this issue, and they found out and are taking care of it pretty quickly. Just ask everyone with a Takata air bag about their recalls...

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Just checked mine that is on order and sure enough, it's on the list. Explains why they pulled it off the train on Sat. Dealer called me this morning to notify me the truck will be delayed. Suggest anyone who has one on order or just received it, look up your VIN# on the above link that CHRISUCF99 provided.

I will STaRT a new thread on this considering the seriousness of the recall

Kevin

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Serious Recall on 2015 Durangos and Grand Cherokees built between June 12th - June 20th, 2015 timeframe

Check your vin# here: https://www.moparownerconnect.com/oc/us/en-us/sub/Pages/RecallsResults.aspx?Vin=1C4RDJEG9FC916402

Chrysler Recall #

R33

Safety Defect/Non Compliance Description and Safety Risk

HE REAR SUSPENSION LOWER CONTROL ARMS MAY HAVE BEEN INCORRECTLY HEAT TREATED DURING THE MANUFACTURING PROCESS. THE REAR SUSPENSION LOWER CONTROL ARM COULD BREAK. A BROKEN REAR SUSPENSION LOWER CONTROL ARM(S), DURING CERTAIN DRIVING CONDITIONS, COULD CAUSE A LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL AND/OR A CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.

Repair Description

THE BUILD DATE CODE ON BOTH REAR SUSPENSION LOWER CONTROL ARMS MUST BE INSPECTED. LOWER CONTROL ARMS FOUND WITHIN A CERTAIN BUILD DATE RANGE MUST BE REPLACED.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wait.. they found a part that was a serious problem.. they called you.. they go to your house to check on it... and IF it needs to be fixed they'll tow it and fix it and bring it back to you?

1) That's one helluva serious problem
2) They found it 6 days after you took ownership... that's pretty fast for a recall
3) Serious or not, that's some darned snappy good customer service.. Dontcha wish ALL production issues got that kind of attention?

Think positively! You were one of a handful of people with this issue, and they found out and are taking care of it pretty quickly. Just ask everyone with a Takata air bag about their recalls...
I'm not saying it isn't good customer service - actually it is very good customer service!!! It just sucks to buy a car and have a problem within the first 6 days - and a major one at that. I guess at least its not the motor or transmission!!! Thanks for keeping me positive, and yes it would be great if all production issues got that kind of attention. I am just trying to imagine how the supplier noticed it.......guessing a new employee started and as the control arms come down the line he is putting them in a bin....supervisor comes along and sees him and says Bill....wtf....are you not running those through the oven? Bill says....no....nobody told me to do that!!.... LOL Who knows.....

·
Premium Member
28,308 Posts
Its actually a metalurgist on staff that pulls parts and test them. They caught it quickly and thank god for that.
STEVE

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts
No worse than the Ford Aerostar mini-van that would drop the whole rear axle out while driving down the road because the axle mounts weren't welded to the frame properly.

·
Premium Member
28,308 Posts
That was scary Mike and pretty funny when you saw it happen.
STEVE

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.