Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took a 1200 mile road trip this last weekend, really paid attention to my MPGs (avg & instant). With cruise on 80, using 93 octane, I was getting around 19mpg with relatively no wind.
91 octane @ 80 mph = 19-20mpg
89 octane @ 80 mph = 17mpg (moderate side wind)
I am disappointed with this. For all highway, I expected to be 20-22mpg with ease!

When I first bought my D, I took a 500mi trip on first day. I drove a little slower for break in, but I initially got about 21mpg, not sure what octane initial tank was. On my way back from that trip, 89 octane @ 80 got me 19-20mpg. I thought economy should improve with some miles??? I have 6500 miles now, but it seems to be getting worse! Definitely best economy is 65mph, can average about 22-23mpg then. I am going to play with octane ratings...drop to 87 to see what it does.

Anyone else having similar ratings?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Just took a 1200 mile road trip this last weekend, really paid attention to my MPGs (avg & instant). With cruise on 80, using 93 octane, I was getting around 19mpg with relatively no wind.
91 octane @ 80 mph = 19-20mpg
89 octane @ 80 mph = 17mpg (moderate side wind)
I am disappointed with this. For all highway, I expected to be 20-22mpg with ease!

When I first bought my D, I took a 500mi trip on first day. I drove a little slower for break in, but I initially got about 21mpg, not sure what octane initial tank was. On my way back from that trip, 89 octane @ 80 got me 19-20mpg. I thought economy should improve with some miles??? I have 6500 miles now, but it seems to be getting worse! Definitely best economy is 65mph, can average about 22-23mpg then. I am going to play with octane ratings...drop to 87 to see what it does.

Anyone else having similar ratings?
the answer is in red. 80 doesn't really give the best mileage at all.
do you have ethanol in your fuel in MO? my fuel has ethanol in it, and my mpg is way worse then your numbers on 93.

·
Super Moderator
12,708 Posts

That's not too bad for 80mph.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not use the fuel with Ethanol, in my experiences I have got WORSE gas mileage with that. In KC, we only have 87, 89, & 91 octanes. When I get to St. Louis, I can get the 93. Typically I use that and have had better performance and mpg's. Not this time, which is the first trip with the D. I also got some 93 octane in Indianapolis, really performed about the same. When I gassed up in St. Louis on the trip back, I used 91 I think, and that was the worst. Of course that was dealing with a little bit of wind. Part of the trip I had it slowed to 75-77mph through Illinois, I saw about 1mpg improvement. I realize 80mph isn't optimum for fuel economy, but I can't crawl at 65-70! Through I-70 in Kansas, speed limit is 75, and you can usually get away with 10mph above that before the fuzz mess with you.

I don't know, maybe I have too high of expectations, but I just expected better!

-Brian

·
Registered
654 Posts
you are lucky hah, all i have is ethanol fuel, so i try to always get 93 atleast. ethanol in fuel BLOWS CHUNKS, i never get anywhere close to CITY rated mileage. I do half highway, and half city, and i am lucky to get city ratings overall. That and i have a lot of stop and go traffic in nyc hah.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Cruise control will kill your fuel economy, especially at a whopping 80 MPH constant speed. You can't have your cake and eat it, too, when it comes to wanting to drive faster and wanting better fuel economy.

EDIT: Here's a link to EPA testing information. Click on the last tab "Detailed Test Information" above the data tables. If you look at the Highway column, you'll see the top speed is only 60 MPH with an average speed of 48.3 MPH. Even under the High Speed column, the average speed is 48.4 MPH.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I drove from Indiana to California avg speed of 70-75. I consistently avg 22-23mpg. My mph still is avg of 21 even driving with the California hills. It's drops a little when hills are involved but nothing crazy. I drove my D easy for the first 150 miles then it was game on. My exhaust even started out sounding like crap at wot but now that I've drive it hard for a while the really needs is going away. My D seems to be getting better as I drive it. I have original oil at 3200 miles. I also only use 89 octane. Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,034 Posts
You are driving something with the aerodynamics of a brick.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cruise control will kill your fuel economy, especially at a whopping 80 MPH constant speed. You can't have your cake and eat it, too, when it comes to wanting to drive faster and wanting better fuel economy.
Yeah, but won't stop me from trying! Screw the cake, I just want 40mpg @ 85mph! What's wrong with that?;)

Today I drove about 90 miles on 87 octane. Did 78-82mph about 75% of the time! was getting 17-18 mpg most of that time. I have also experimented with the ECO mode, when I disable I really don't see a difference. If running at 17 mpg, it will sometimes bounce between 17-18, but nothing considerable!

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just want 40mpg @ 85mph!
Then you should have looked into a more aerodynamic Dart instead of a bulky Durango?? :cool:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fitting 7 people in a Dart could be challenging! It doesn't matter, I'll always find something to complain about! :). Really, I should just remove the fuel economy from my screen! I don't have to pay for my gas, so it is just my OCD trying to improve economy. Kinda like golf, it's a personal challenge to always better your score, but no benefit from it!

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Weight also plays into performance, as well. But the ethanol gas is the worst, maybe your station has started using ethanol and not posted. My challenger lost 5-6 mpg from the switch. Although I've only had one tank of good stuff to compare to, since I've had her!
new reports that the EPA maybe relaxing the ethanol rules n the next 2-3 years, I SURE HOPE SO!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Eco mode changes shift patterns and it's said to be good for one mpg. I just keep it on. If you use the paddles to go wot the echo will turn off.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,152 Posts
Really, I should just remove the fuel economy from my screen!
That's what I did with the Ram. By default the display has that setting right there. Lame! :) Easy fix though.

You don't have to pay for your gas in your personal vehicle? What, you work for the government or something?? ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm at about 700 miles and have about 65/35 city and local vs hwy driving...current MPG for the whole time is 20 according to the trip computer...that includes really slow hwy miles behind snow plows...hoping for gradual improvement as normal driving continues...CT has 10% ethanol. So far not surprised nor dissapointed.

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
It takes about 3-5000 miles before the mileage comes up. Winter Blends some stations in NJ have up to 15% ethanol are gas mileage killers as well
STEVE

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just drove 270 miles, 95% hwy and the trip computer called it 23.7 MPG...was avg 24.4 when cruising on flat roads at about 68MPH...I'm happy w that!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts