Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caution: Rant ahead.

I'm on my 3rd Ram, 04, 09 and now 11. Had to have 4 exhaust manifolds replaced, one on the 04, both on the 09 and now one on the '11 with only 30K on it. Its always the rear 2 bolts on the passenger side., One would think Chrysler would have solved this problem by now. The only saving grace is they were all done under warranty.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Must be the salt thing? My 04 is doing good at 100k. that same rear bolt on the Durango went bad in the middle of our Yosemite trip in 2005 or 06. Time will tell on my 05 Maggie with its Hemi.

Knock on wood!

·
Administrator
28,310 Posts
Stop Drag racing the ricers in your neighborhood Pete! LOL
STEVE

·
Registered
490 Posts
This is a common thing on the 345s, and I think a big reason they went to stainless steel manifolds on the truck 392 (entirely different engine than the Apache 392 in the SRTs). The manifolds are cast ductile iron which obviously have a different rate of thermal expansion than the aluminum heads. This can cause them to warp and break the bolts, usually near cylinders 7 and 8 by the firewall. The fasteners can't be enlarged without penetrating the water jacket either.

There are some solutions; several people have gone to stage 8 header lockdowns and I have not heard of a reported problem afterwards-they seem to be made of better steel. Stainless manifolds (i.e. shorties) seem to not warp or expand like the stock manifolds do. Also, a mechanic who works in a Ram service department on another board said that after planing the warped manifolds he has yet to see the problem recur, suggesting that they will not warp past a certain point. They are covered under the powertrain warranty, so if they won't agree to plane them then you may be able to get them to have the machine work done to them if you pay for just that.

If the dealer won't cover it under powertrain-I have heard of some who won't because fasteners are not mentioned by name in the warranty like manifolds are-then you can also claim the emissions warranty. IIRC it is federally mandated for 8/80,000 and an exhaust leak should cause you to fail an inspection, so it should be covered under that too. If the dealer tried to not warranty it I wouldn't want them doing the work though because they'll probably half ass it. Almost everyone I have seen with this issue has been able to get it covered under warranty if they were under it (IMHO those that didn't did not pursue the fix enough), and the dealer did it for my dad when he was in for an oil change-he didn't even know had had broken bolts.

Has anyone had this happen to their Durango? I have a 220 in mine and it has manifolds integrated into the heads which I'm pretty pleased with actually; this is far from a Ram or Hemi only issue

·
Super Moderator
1,136 Posts
pass side manifold new in 2015 with 37k under warranty, they were able to do it without pulling head.

·
Administrator
5,613 Posts
had both manifolds replaced on the '04 Ram. not too cheap. I found a way to eliminate the problem... traded it in for a new Ram... more to follow after it shows up in the driveway... :naughty:

·
Administrator
8,022 Posts
They have had this problem for over 30 years. Big time on the old carbureted 360's. Fix was to richen the mix by modifying the metering tubes, and it still passed Cali emissions testing. Perhaps the same could be done for the computer on these engines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts