Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is their a way either with a fuse or something to have the radiator fans running on my Hemi Durango, my coolant temps get too high and it pulls timing after 5 minutes of driving and it becomes a sloth of a SUV. I'm planing on doing a 180 t-stat but i want to know if theirs somthing i can do in the meantime before i splurge on a tuner and t-stat.

,Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how high is too high....your fans are automatic and will come on when needed
Yes im aware they are automatic, but they only turn on when it gets way too hot, last time i had my scan tool pluged in it only turns on when it's 230 degrees farenheit or so, or at the halfway mark, which for some reason on these durangos the halfway mark is over heating. Only SUV I've had that did that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
half way is normal.....its nothing to be worried about....you can put the 180 thermostat in and it will help...primarily though the 180 is for upgraded cars....i haven't tried to reprogram the temp setting for the fans myself with alfaodb but it might be possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why not replace your thermostat with the stock replacement? It sounds possible and likely that yours is either stuck closed or partially stuck closed. I just replaced the t-stat on my 2014 as it was partially stuck open and would never allow the coolant to come up to full operating temp. If you replace the t-stat with one lower than the stock unit and don't have a tuner you'll likely throw an error code for the coolant not reaching expected operating temperature and the engine won't fully warm up to the level the computer expects. If you replace it with a colder t-stat and then adjust the ECU with a programmer, what do you have to gain there?

Teams of engineers with a combined knowledge set far beyond yours designed the systems and components of these engines to run reliably and efficiently with the stock components. If one of the operating parameters such as coolant temp is out of expected range, there's likely a problem with that part, not the selection of that part by FCA, except in rare cases. AKA, just replace the thermostat with the factory $30 unit and call it a day.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why not replace your thermostat with the stock replacement? It sounds possible and likely that yours is either stuck closed or partially stuck closed. I just replaced the t-stat on my 2014 as it was partially stuck open and would never allow the coolant to come up to full operating temp. If you replace the t-stat with one lower than the stock unit and don't have a tuner you'll likely throw an error code for the coolant not reaching expected operating temperature and the engine won't fully warm up to the level the computer expects. If you replace it with a colder t-stat and then adjust the ECU with a programmer, what do you have to gain there?

Teams of engineers with a combined knowledge set far beyond yours designed the systems and components of these engines to run reliably and efficiently with the stock components. If one of the operating parameters such as coolant temp is out of expected range, there's likely a problem with that part, not the selection of that part by FCA, except in rare cases. AKA, just replace the thermostat with the factory $30 unit and call it a day.
The overheating started after i replaced it with a OEM thermostat. I took it to a shop.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
The shop may not have burped the cooling system properly and you have an air pocket....but I don't know how to have the fans run without a tuner. Might want to check to see if there is a resistor on the fan...as they can go bad and cause the fan to not run properly.
With the fans being controlled by the ECU I don't think wiring a simple switch to turn them on would be easy or safe.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The shop may not have burped the cooling system properly and you have an air pocket....but I don't know how to have the fans run without a tuner. Might want to check to see if there is a resistor on the fan...as they can go bad and cause the fan to not run properly.
With the fans being controlled by the ECU I don't think wiring a simple switch to turn them on would be easy or safe.
I did ask them to bleed it, but with that being said ill see about doing it myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts