Dodge Durango Forum banner

Racetrack/Extended Warranty

17K views 50 replies 21 participants last post by  Tin Foil Hat 
#1 ·
It's probably been discussed but haven't found via search. Has anyone successfully had their racetrack light covered under Mopars MaxCare warranty?

Dealer says on paper its covered but when they called for authorization answer is no since it's due to water intrusion. When I called customer care they said it's not covered because it's a "sealed beam" which is excluded. Any help appreciated.

FWIW 2017 GT

Reactions: Ollie Crow
#2 ·
Some dealers have honored it but the Mopar warranty states that lights are not covered and so usually the dealers refuse to. If your dealer says it is covered and you have it in writing then you have a way to make them pay for it.

#5 ·
Interesting. Yeah like I said, dealer says yes on paper but due to dollar amount they had to call warranty claims for authorization and they denied it.

#3 ·
Interesting. I understand that water intrusion would not normally be covered, but it's not a light bulb, nor a sealed beam.
An LED is a Light Emitting Diode, which is an electrical component that only allows current to flow in one direction. It also gives off light while doing so. As mentioned, some dealers have covered it, while others have not.
IMO, such a light assembly that they charge over $1k for, should be built to last at least 10 years.

Don

#6 ·
On my now traded in 2017 I had water in the racetrack lights before the 3 year bumper 2 bumper expired. Replaced by dealer no issue.

My concern is if my extended warranty will cover it post bumper to bumper warranty on my new 2021. I don't think Dodge improved the design of this expensive but iconic feature.

#7 ·
Has anybody pulled DodgeCares into this thread? Maybe they can shed some light on it (pun intended). I've seen Durango's here in Northern VA with segments of the racetrack not working. With the number of pictures and reports on here, it clearly isn't a rare situation. Maybe Stellantis, FCA, or whatever they want to be called this month is hiding from it. Or maybe they just haven't connected all the data to realize they have an issue on their hands. Maybe NHTSA would like to hear about it, since the racetrack serves as the tail lights on the Durango for compliance purposes.

#9 ·
Maybe NHTSA would like to hear about it, since the racetrack serves as the tail lights on the Durango for compliance purposes.
The racetrack lighting on the hatch is purely decorative and doesn’t factor into lighting compliance, you have actual tail lights on the quarter panels. NHTSA won’t care.

#13 ·
I get the distinction between the segments on the hatch and those on the sides. So are you also saying that the racetrack segments on the quarter panels are not experiencing the water incursion and/or segment outages? I've certainly seen those out around here (Northern Virginia) as well.

#15 · (Edited)
I don't think the design ever fixed it, if you don't have water yet I would put a bead of clear sealant across the top of the racetrack and down the sides. That's what I did on my 18. I would also agree that the center section is 1000% cosmetic. But, it will bother me to no end if mine burns out

#16 ·
I wouldn't say it's purely cosmetic. Driving home from work a couple of days ago there were some dense areas of fog. I knew there was another Durango in front of me due to the racetrack lights even though I could not see any taillights of the other vehicles in front of me.

So for me these "cosmetic" lights were a huge safety factor in me purchasing this vehicle due to being driven in fog, rain and snow.

The whole warranty thing it get that they don't cover lights as far as bulbs go that have a certain life cycle, but these are not user replaceable and should be covered by warranty and manufacturer extended warranties.

#17 ·
I wouldn't say it's purely cosmetic. Driving home from work a couple of days ago there were some dense areas of fog. I knew there was another Durango in front of me due to the racetrack lights even though I could not see any taillights of the other vehicles in front of me.

So for me these "cosmetic" lights were a huge safety factor in me purchasing this vehicle due to being driven in fog, rain and snow.

The whole warranty thing it get that they don't cover lights as far as bulbs go that have a certain life cycle, but these are not user replaceable and should be covered by warranty and manufacturer extended warranties.
But even if it was just the side taillights, they have to be a certain brightness so that they can be seen. You may not have been able to pick out that it was a Durango, but you would still have been able to see it.

1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto

#20 ·
I guess I've become more aware of this situation after reading this thread for the last few days. I find myself looking more carefully at the racetrack on any Durangos I see. Just last night, I counted 4 other Durangos. 3 of them had segments out on the tailgate. One of them also had a section of the racetrack on the right tail light out. Counting my own, which is currently working fine, that's 3 out of 5 with some sort of NFG (non-functional gear). This seems to be a ticking timebomb for owners.
...but these are not user replaceable and should be covered by warranty and manufacturer extended warranties.
I totally agree.

#19 ·
It would be great if lonesome had one that I could work on I did a repair that looks 90% original and posted how to do it . After tearing into it I now know how they work and how to potentially make it look 100% for a few dollars in parts. It was the gasket that they are using that is causing the failure its to thin

#24 ·
cant believe dodge did not provide a fix for this. on my ‘19 RAM, the 3rd brake light seal had an issue that water would get in between the lights and the cab and make its way to the headliner, that causes stain. they applied a fix and a starcase was open with a new part number. So a new truck that been on the market in 2019 had already a fix for water intrusion after only couple months.

The durango racetrack water issue has been point out since forever, and nothing has been change.

They are always backorder, so its not like if the factory had thousands of containers full of durango racetrack light, then I would understand they would pass all those in stock, but it’s not the case. It makes me mad that engineers goes blind on this knowing that is really an easy fix to do to makes them sealed from factory. My durango is 2 weeks old and I already know it will happen if I don’t seal them myself

#25 ·
Hi guys, new member, first post.

I am experiencing this exact issue now with my 17 DD. I had water in both lower sides of rhe race track light, with more on the right. I delayed the repair while this pandemic had shut down and then completely altered the way local dealers were operating near me.I was still under the B2B then which unbeknownst to me would expire 2/9/20 (im the 2nd owner and didnt know the in service date) and because I had purchased the Maxcare extended warranty that I was told extends the B2B I never really cared about the 3yr B2B. I never read the papers I was sent after and never needing it until now. So now that things are easing up, I bring it to the dealer and im informed its not covered.....great!
MaxCare (working from home) were COMPLETELY useless and were more like a 3rd party garbage warranty customer service, referring me to pg7 paragraph 1 of the TONS of exclusions, which is larger then covered parts.
This is a failure of a part to probably everyone of these lights that will occur at some time, but just like my ram which had multiple water leaks from the 3rd brake light to cabin vents. Im expecting just as little help from Mopar. Shame....

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

#27 ·
jr27236:
Welcome to DDN. You should start your own thread about this issue. MaxCare has been the best factory backed service contract I have had to date. Unless they have changed it, the MaxCare covers quite a bit. What particular version do you have if I may ask? The Lifetime on my '14 Charger has a pretty short exclusions list. Certain things are fairly standard on such contracts from what I have seen.
It does make one stop and wonder why some dealers have covered it, while others have not. As I have said, LED's are not light bulbs. I know that the failure is usually caused by water intrusion, which is stupid. FCA should have made such an expensive part better to begin with.

Don

#28 · (Edited)
Why clutter the forum with a duplicate thread? I am going to call them again and see what they will do. Unfortionately it was put off during the height of the pandemic and the B2B expired then and I was told not to worry because I purchased the MaxCare warranty. So I figured "no rush", only to discover its non-covered.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

#29 ·
jr27236:
I agree that starting new threads is not always the best thing. Sometimes though, doing so gets more attention than one that has been around for a good while. Sadly, this topic is a common one.
You may have a bargaining chip, since you brought the issue to their attention while the B2B was still in force. I would ask them to do a "goodwill" repair, based upon that.

Don

Reactions: jr27236
#32 ·
I would politely and firmly remind them, that the failure occurred on "their" watch when the 3/36 was still in force. They told you not to worry, and as such FCA, Stellis, or whatever the hell they are calling themselves this week needs to step up, and take care of business. Are you working your way up the corporate ladder? I would be, as well as mentioning the plethora of racetrack failures you can document, that HAVE been covered one way or another.

Don

#33 ·
Well got absolutely no where with the help on the phone. They are all working out of there house and when I get transferred its just back in the origonal cue. One agent told me I need to speak to a "administative level 3 manager". Only problem is you cant get one of them lol and get sent right back to square one.
I am now in the process of wrinting corporate a letter that I am sure will also fall on deaf ears. This problem is so wide spread and incredible they dont just seal them better. i know that the sealed lights led lights on my trailer have a lifetime warranty. You would thing these would be the same from the manufacture since they are maintainance free and unserviceable by design?

#38 ·
I have found mine gets water in it when I wash it... I found there is a crack in the side of it, not sure if that causes it or not, but its cracked either way.. went to the dealer and they refuse to warranty it saying they saw no water in it...
Hi Ludakris04,
We would be happy to look into this for you. Please follow up with us via PM.

Rob
Dodge Cares

#37 ·
Your crack appears to be from some kind of impact or hard press like gently backing into something. For that reason I would not expect them to warrant it. If you believe that is where the water is entering then you should seal it and see if the problem is solved. That probably is not the point of entry because it's usually on the back side where the opening for the wires isn't sealed well against the body. Whatever caused this crack might have deformed the light housing or or the body panel behind it just enough to allow a water leak.

#39 ·
If its not fixed under warranty I posted how I fixed mine . Or if anyone wants to prevent it I show how and where to add gasket material. I have had no water in the housing for 11months

#40 ·
Has anyone had any luck getting the dealership to repair this? I just bought a used 2015 Durango less than a week ago (75k, 1 owner, came with a warranty and added extended warranty)
Didn’t realize it had the light issue until the next night when I took it out after dark and another nice Durango owner asked if I got a discount because of it. (Looks uniform on back hatch bottom where both sides are out, upgraded from a 2005 Trailblazer so I had no idea)
Stopped by auto store naively for bulbs to find out it’s not that simple. Contacted Dodge dealership I bought it from, was told it was my problem for not noticing. Already out $28k+ and I don’t have all outside running lights.

I travel a LOT on my own to see family with husband being military so I do consider it a safety issue but I guess they don’t.

Just looking for advice on how to handle this. I am convinced dealership knew since I have a picture of it when they took it to detail and the lights looked same way, and 5-6 of them stood outside and watched me leave in it.

#41 ·
If it was a Certified Pre-owned Car then it needs to be covered by that program. If not then do you have any 3 day right of return law in your state? If not then small claims court could be used since it sounds like you have photographic proof of the defect that it was their responsibility as car sellers to know about. It's not really a safety issue as you have about 10' of working racetrack but that will probably diminish as more water intrudes into the light housing.

#43 ·
Thank you for responding. I did contact them back, explained again I have the photo when they went to detail it. Complete with their advertisement tag not my temp tag and the guy said he’d have someone call me back to discuss it. 1 of my warranties does say certified right on the flier so maybe that’s it.
Bought it in Missouri when old one died trying to handle things on my own while visiting family. They don’t have a lemon law.
Going back to the dakotas soon so I see the water issue causing some headaches with the snow and freezing temps. Thanks for the heads up. Lesson has been learned to never go in a dealership alone again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.