Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's probably been discussed but haven't found via search. Has anyone successfully had their racetrack light covered under Mopars MaxCare warranty?

Dealer says on paper its covered but when they called for authorization answer is no since it's due to water intrusion. When I called customer care they said it's not covered because it's a "sealed beam" which is excluded. Any help appreciated.

FWIW 2017 GT

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
282 Posts
Some dealers have honored it but the Mopar warranty states that lights are not covered and so usually the dealers refuse to. If your dealer says it is covered and you have it in writing then you have a way to make them pay for it.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Interesting. I understand that water intrusion would not normally be covered, but it's not a light bulb, nor a sealed beam.
An LED is a Light Emitting Diode, which is an electrical component that only allows current to flow in one direction. It also gives off light while doing so. As mentioned, some dealers have covered it, while others have not.
IMO, such a light assembly that they charge over $1k for, should be built to last at least 10 years.

Don

·
Registered
556 Posts
I feel like early on more people were getting it covered. Now that’s its 7 years old and Dodge knows it’s a common problem, they stopped eating the $1k bill to replace it on their dime

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some dealers have honored it but the Mopar warranty states that lights are not covered and so usually the dealers refuse to. If your dealer says it is covered and you have it in writing then you have a way to make them pay for it.
Interesting. Yeah like I said, dealer says yes on paper but due to dollar amount they had to call warranty claims for authorization and they denied it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
On my now traded in 2017 I had water in the racetrack lights before the 3 year bumper 2 bumper expired. Replaced by dealer no issue.

My concern is if my extended warranty will cover it post bumper to bumper warranty on my new 2021. I don't think Dodge improved the design of this expensive but iconic feature.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Has anybody pulled DodgeCares into this thread? Maybe they can shed some light on it (pun intended). I've seen Durango's here in Northern VA with segments of the racetrack not working. With the number of pictures and reports on here, it clearly isn't a rare situation. Maybe Stellantis, FCA, or whatever they want to be called this month is hiding from it. Or maybe they just haven't connected all the data to realize they have an issue on their hands. Maybe NHTSA would like to hear about it, since the racetrack serves as the tail lights on the Durango for compliance purposes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On my now traded in 2017 I had water in the racetrack lights before the 3 year bumper 2 bumper expired. Replaced by dealer no issue.

My concern is if my extended warranty will cover it post bumper to bumper warranty on my new 2021. I don't think Dodge improved the design of this expensive but iconic feature.
Based upon what I am experiencing I would say no.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Maybe NHTSA would like to hear about it, since the racetrack serves as the tail lights on the Durango for compliance purposes.
The racetrack lighting on the hatch is purely decorative and doesn’t factor into lighting compliance, you have actual tail lights on the quarter panels. NHTSA won’t care.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The racetrack lighting on the hatch is purely decorative and doesn’t factor into lighting compliance, you have actual tail lights on the quarter panels. NHTSA won’t care.
I don't know what your Durango does, but my 2018 R/T does NOT have any other lighting on in the rear (besides the license plate lights) with the headlights on. I have the racetrack (all 4 sections - left quarter panel, right quarter panel, and both top and bottom segments on the tailgate). It is on all the time with the headlights, meaning it is serving as the tail light... not the brake light, not the turn signals, and not the reverse lights. I have all of those, and they work just fine. But the racetrack most certainly IS serving as the tail light... also called running lights, which are most definitely required by law. If Dodge has a problem with tail light segments being out because of water intrusion, I'm sure NHTSA will care.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I don't know what your Durango does, but my 2018 R/T does NOT have any other lighting on in the rear (besides the license plate lights) with the headlights on. I have the racetrack (all 4 sections - left quarter panel, right quarter panel, and both top and bottom segments on the tailgate). It is on all the time with the headlights, meaning it is serving as the tail light... not the brake light, not the turn signals, and not the reverse lights. I have all of those, and they work just fine. But the racetrack most certainly IS serving as the tail light... also called running lights, which are most definitely required by law. If Dodge has a problem with tail light segments being out because of water intrusion, I'm sure NHTSA will care.
If the race track is out on the tailgate, you will still have the tail lights on the quarter panels. That’s all that’s required by law.

Yes the racetrack on the hatch serves as tail lights, but it’s only for aesthetic purposes not lawful compliance. Which is why NHTSA won’t care.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I get the distinction between the segments on the hatch and those on the sides. So are you also saying that the racetrack segments on the quarter panels are not experiencing the water incursion and/or segment outages? I've certainly seen those out around here (Northern Virginia) as well.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I get the distinction between the segments on the hatch and those on the sides. So are you also saying that the racetrack segments on the quarter panels are not experiencing the water incursion and/or segment outages? I've certainly seen those out around here (Northern Virginia) as well.
Correct, only the center portion has water intrusion issues

7374577E-E357-4364-97CA-9290FFE18D6B.jpeg
2B5E44EF-A876-49BE-91FA-B539FDE98B49.jpeg
1A976E7B-01E8-42F2-B20E-DA2559DDA4E7.jpeg
84E3E1E5-13DD-489C-9888-CD3DD71AE766.png

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't think the design ever fixed it, if you don't have water yet I would put a bead of clear sealant across the top of the racetrack and down the sides. That's what I did on my 18. I would also agree that the center section is 1000% cosmetic. But, it will bother me to no end if mine burns out

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wouldn't say it's purely cosmetic. Driving home from work a couple of days ago there were some dense areas of fog. I knew there was another Durango in front of me due to the racetrack lights even though I could not see any taillights of the other vehicles in front of me.

So for me these "cosmetic" lights were a huge safety factor in me purchasing this vehicle due to being driven in fog, rain and snow.

The whole warranty thing it get that they don't cover lights as far as bulbs go that have a certain life cycle, but these are not user replaceable and should be covered by warranty and manufacturer extended warranties.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I wouldn't say it's purely cosmetic. Driving home from work a couple of days ago there were some dense areas of fog. I knew there was another Durango in front of me due to the racetrack lights even though I could not see any taillights of the other vehicles in front of me.

So for me these "cosmetic" lights were a huge safety factor in me purchasing this vehicle due to being driven in fog, rain and snow.

The whole warranty thing it get that they don't cover lights as far as bulbs go that have a certain life cycle, but these are not user replaceable and should be covered by warranty and manufacturer extended warranties.
But even if it was just the side taillights, they have to be a certain brightness so that they can be seen. You may not have been able to pick out that it was a Durango, but you would still have been able to see it.

1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto

·
Registered
268 Posts

Sure, maybe Cosmetic isn't the right word. I bought a Durango, I think the exterior on the RT and SRT is as bad as it gets for an SUV, I love the racetrack but almost every other car out on the road doesn't have a full LED strip across the back so its clearly not going to be a safety issue (in the eyes or the regulatory bodies) to have segments burned out on the liftgate as long as the required Stop and Turn signals are functioning (So that's what I meant by cosmetic, it isn't required to be functional to pass any safety test). It sucks that Dodge hasn't figured out a better gasket but I sealed mine in on my own since I am out of warranty and don't want to pay $800 if it were to burn out.

·
Registered
313 Posts
It would be great if lonesome had one that I could work on I did a repair that looks 90% original and posted how to do it . After tearing into it I now know how they work and how to potentially make it look 100% for a few dollars in parts. It was the gasket that they are using that is causing the failure its to thin

·
Registered
76 Posts
I guess I've become more aware of this situation after reading this thread for the last few days. I find myself looking more carefully at the racetrack on any Durangos I see. Just last night, I counted 4 other Durangos. 3 of them had segments out on the tailgate. One of them also had a section of the racetrack on the right tail light out. Counting my own, which is currently working fine, that's 3 out of 5 with some sort of NFG (non-functional gear). This seems to be a ticking timebomb for owners.
...but these are not user replaceable and should be covered by warranty and manufacturer extended warranties.
I totally agree.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts