Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Durango R/T
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2018 R/T. To me the 1-2 shift seems hard & too quick when driving it normally. Sport off, eco on.., seems like first gear is just about useless because it shifts to 2nd so quick & rather harsh. I’m coming from an old 2004 grandprix where you couldn’t hardly tell when the transmission shifts.
Being this is such a newer vechicle I was expecting a smooth transmission shift.
In sport mode it feels better as it holds the gear longer & I expect to feel the harder shift.
Is this just the nature of the beast buying an R/T or do you guys think something may be wrong?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2018 RT and I would say especially when eco mode is on I really don't feel the shifts. However I keep my eco off at all times and she is still smooth as butter usually. I don't really know what to tell you. How many miles on it? And have you checked fluid level?

·
Registered
2018 Durango R/T
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2018 RT and I would say especially when eco mode is on I really don't feel the shifts. However I keep my eco off at all times and she is still smooth as butter usually. I don't really know what to tell you. How many miles on it? And have you checked fluid level?
Currently has 34,000. Bought it with 31,000.
Yeah fluids are all okay.
I guess I can test drive a couple different r/t & compare. If I feel any difference take it in for warranty repair.

·
Registered
2013 Durango R/T 5.7 - Black w/blackout package
342 Posts
So.....since I'm full of opinions these days about other people's problems..............I'll throw this out.

You want to be able to feel your shifts. The parts within the trans that actually make it shift do so by fluid pressure and friction. If you can feel the shift that means the parts are engaging fully and not "slipping."

Now......this is old school trans tech stuff, so if the newer transmissions don't use clutch plates the same or at all, then I'm completely batshit crazy.

When I got my 2013 DDRT tuned, I asked the tuner to firm up the shift points so I could feel them. I can certainly feel them, and have been able to for the last 130K miles and all is good so far.

Reactions: Ollie Crow

·
Registered
2018 Durango R/T
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So.....since I'm full of opinions these days about other people's problems..............I'll throw this out.

You want to be able to feel your shifts. The parts within the trans that actually make it shift do so by fluid pressure and friction. If you can feel the shift that means the parts are engaging fully and not "slipping."

Now......this is old school trans tech stuff, so if the newer transmissions don't use clutch plates the same or at all, then I'm completely batshit crazy.

When I got my 2013 DDRT tuned, I asked the tuner to firm up the shift points so I could feel them. I can certainly feel them, and have been able to for the last 130K miles and all is good so far.
Yes I know, a firmer shifting transmission is actually a healthier transmission. But generally people complain about the hard shifts so companies emphasize on making a smooth transmission so they don’t get so many customer complaints.

I’m just asking if it’s normal for the current R/T Durango’s to have that hard 1-2 shift as it’s an R/T or if theirs is smooth feeling.

Thanks for your response though. I don’t know if I have a transmission problem yet or not. Still trying to determine that.

·
Registered
2013 Durango R/T 5.7 - Black w/blackout package
342 Posts
If you don't have a tuner box you may not be able to tell, but it is possible that you have a tune on this vehicle already. If you do, the shifting is most likely different than stock.

Now, if it is a super hard shift, you won't be able to do that with just software tuning I don't think, so you may have a line pressure issue. Even so, it should throw a code if the internal pressures get too high I would think.

Reactions: Ollie Crow

·
Registered
2018 Durango R/T
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you don't have a tuner box you may not be able to tell, but it is possible that you have a tune on this vehicle already. If you do, the shifting is most likely different than stock.

Now, if it is a super hard shift, you won't be able to do that with just software tuning I don't think, so you may have a line pressure issue. Even so, it should throw a code if the internal pressures get too high I would think.
No codes. I don’t think it has a tune on it. But pedal response is fantastic. I’ve been reading about people putting on a pedal commander & I’m thinking it may have that on it.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
699 Posts
I think it's probably because you said ECO is on. That might cause it to shift quicker as it works to stay in the power band. Turn ECO off and see if the 1-2 shift is longer.

Reactions: Tom13DurangoRT

·
Registered
2018 Durango R/T
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it's probably because you said ECO is on. That might cause it to shift quicker as it works to stay in the power band. Turn ECO off and see if the 1-2 shift is longer.
Eco does make it shift sooner, but it’s for fuel efficiency. Not to keep it in it’s power band.

·
Registered
2018 Durango R/T
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ve tried though. With ECO off it really didn’t make a difference. The 1-2 shift is still too soon imo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine shifts from 1-2 almost immediately after you start moving if you're not heavy in the throttle - but definitely not a hard shift, it's pretty soft in general unless in sport mode & even then it's still not what I'd call hard.

·
Registered
2018 Durango R/T
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine shifts from 1-2 almost immediately after you start moving if you're not heavy in the throttle - but definitely not a hard shift, it's pretty soft in general unless in sport mode & even then it's still not what I'd call hard.
Would you call that 1-2 shift more noticeable than other shifts?

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Durango R/T AWD Blacktop Edition
84 Posts
I’ve noticed this on my ‘17 R/T as well. Usually only when I first start it (cold) and start driving. Once it’s warmed up it shifts normally. It’s done that since day one and I’ve been told it’s totally normal on these—seen other threads online stating a similar issue. Does your issue go away once it’s warm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts