Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. New to forum here and looking to get into the 'Durango' owners group.
Have wanted one for some time and a recent move has left me in a position of needing a second vehicle.

My driving needs are pretty simple: daily drive to the train and back (10 minutes each way), weekend hauler around the area (kids, projects, furniture, etc.). The area gets a lot of snow, so i expect the daily commute to need this vehicle. :)

With that in mind, i think i've found a good option, but wanted to get some feedback from real owners.

2002 R/T
5.9L V8 MPI

Body = straight and in good shape w/ small rust spot on back hatch
Underbody = light surface rust here and there, but nothing alarming. (live in the north east - Hudson River Valley - so the snow and salt are always going to have their way with a vehicle to some degree)
Engine = runs strong and didn't cause any initial concern
Transmission = shifted smoothly
Interior = average

MILES = 191k

Price = $2,000 (talked down from $2,500)

In talking with the owner, he has personally done all the work on it (as well as his other 3 vehicles) and he's only selling since he recently bought a place in Florida and no longer needs a winter vehicle (after next week). He replaced the shocks and belts in it last year, but said he hasn't had any trouble with the engine or transmission during his 4 years of ownership. Seemed to really know his stuff and was eager to help point out different things and answer questions in a detailed, non-evasive manner.

Wanted to get your quick thoughts on this. Should i be put off by the high mileage (everything i see online, and in this forum, points to them being good for much more than this)?
Any specific issues you think i should be on the lookout for based on the year and engine?

My personal thought was that at $2000 i can't expect it to be perfect and, no matter what, should expect to put some money into it; however, there is a difference between little issues and needing a completely new engine if it's at 'end of life'.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I would not be put off on the high mileage, other people on here have well over 250k miles. Parts are cheap and the Durango is easy to work on comparatively, without seeing pictures or driving it and only seeing your description I think you are getting a good deal. IMHO

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
340K on mine..though I have the 4.7L and electronic 45rfe trans.
Anyways, the 5.9L should last a long time with only the trans being a possible weak point depending upon its service history.
Sounds like a good price if the rest of the truck is in good shape.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts