Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called the dealership just now to see what the cost to install is. She said if the cables were not already ran it would be an additional $250 to run cabling. I have a 2015 Durango SXT (base model). How can I tell if cabling has already been ran? Can I just look under the car and see wires, if so what am I looking for?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Cables for what?

Don

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Wiring maybe??

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
735 Posts
Towing harness I'm sure. Just have the dealer look for you. Or read up on it in this forum since it's been talked about ad nauseum. Urbish has a good write-up on it.

Reactions: Urbish

·
Registered
2018 DD R/T AWD
343 Posts
I called the dealership just now to see what the cost to install is. She said if the cables were not already ran it would be an additional $250 to run cabling. I have a 2015 Durango SXT (base model). How can I tell if cabling has already been ran? Can I just look under the car and see wires, if so what am I looking for?

Thanks.
It depends. Are you towing a small trailer with a flat 4 pin connector, or are you looking to install a 7 pin for trailer brakes?

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Could be ham radio or CB wiring. Could be lots of things. I've learned to refrain from assuming.
It's really helpful when folks take a extra few seconds to better explain what they want to know.

Don

Reactions: DuRonbo

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
735 Posts
Helpful too if they would bother to actually respond later which many new members do not do.

Reactions: Don Fox and DuRonbo

·
Registered
242 Posts
just look up from under the back bumper...there will be a harness there...if there's not then you will need the harness....if you buy it yourself to install it comes with instructions...its quite easy. But you will need to have the dealer to enable the system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just look up from under the back bumper...there will be a harness there...if there's not then you will need the harness....if you buy it yourself to install it comes with instructions...its quite easy. But you will need to have the dealer to enable the system.
Sorry for late reply, was away from home all day yesterday. OK, so sounds like I should be looking for harness, or partial harness going to the back area. I wasn't sure if it would be an obvious cable just sitting there, or if it would have been tucked up inside something since it was not in use.

Helpful too if they would bother to actually respond later which many new members do not do.
Yeah, I hate that too. I ended up being not a home yesterday.

·
Registered
2014 dodge durango citadel 3.6 awd towing and technology package
8 Posts
Actually if your comfortable with programs you can purchase a program and a capable obd2 programmer and enable systems yourself.. and yes you can also seriously fudge up your vehicle if you play with systems and modules without knowing what your doing.. I use alfaobd on my phone(android) and appcar on my laptop with
OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth scanner since you don't need the different harnesses to communicate with all the modules..

·
Registered
2014 dodge durango citadel 3.6 awd towing and technology package
8 Posts
I'd question what the op wants to haul and what engine they have.. the tow package for the 3.6 upgrades the cooling system and has the 7way outlet capable of electric brakes.. if they need just a 4way for light towing and want to run the minimum wires then they can go to etrailer.com and buy a kit with t connectors (no cutting and splicing factory wires) and only have one power wire to feed a converter to reduce tail light power draw..(race track tail lights don't like to have thier power pulled from at least that's what I was told by dodge dealer) I er on the safe side and stay away from anything playing with those expensive rear lights.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My guess is a 10in sub box needs to be installed.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
2,100 Posts
I'm going with a Mini-Fridge!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd question what the op wants to haul and what engine they have.. the tow package for the 3.6 upgrades the cooling system and has the 7way outlet capable of electric brakes.. if they need just a 4way for light towing and want to run the minimum wires then they can go to etrailer.com and buy a kit with t connectors (no cutting and splicing factory wires) and only have one power wire to feed a converter to reduce tail light power draw..(race track tail lights don't like to have thier power pulled from at least that's what I was told by dodge dealer) I er on the safe side and stay away from anything playing with those expensive rear lights.
I totally forgot about the 3.6 upgrade. When I called I just asked about installation of the bar (and wires). I need to call them back about that too.

As for what I would be pulling. I currently have a 24 ft enclose car hauler. I think with car it would surpass the rating of the AWD SXT V6. I plan to sell it in the near future, and get a smaller flat trailer for when picking up furniture/lawn equipment/etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts