Dodge Durango Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2004 Dodge Durango 4.7. I've been told by others that I could and probably should use the 88 octane fue. My questions are has anyone used this fuel in a Durango and ended up with problems, and can it be interchangeable with 87/89 if 88 isn't available while traveling? Any information is appreciated.
Ok 88 octane is actually just a fancy way of saying e-85 which is gas with ethanol and I don't suggest running it through the vehicle unless the engine is specifically designed to be able to use it because you will tear up the engine that way

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
499 Posts
Ok 88 octane is actually just a fancy way of saying e-85 which is gas with ethanol and I don't suggest running it through the vehicle unless the engine is specifically designed to be able to use it because you will tear up the engine that way
Not E85 but E15 as it only contains up to 15% ethanol and not 51%-83% of E85.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For what it's worth, I have a 2006 Durango with the 4.7l.
Owner's manual says 87 octane. I have owned this since it was new, and never ran anything but 87. I now have 170K on it and haven't had ANY issues. Normal maintenance only.

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
499 Posts
For what it's worth, I have a 2006 Durango with the 4.7l.
Owner's manual says 87 octane. I have owned this since it was new, and never ran anything but 87. I now have 170K on it and haven't had ANY issues. Normal maintenance only.
No one is disputing that if you run the manufacturer's recommended octane rating that the car will have issues. In this thread the issue is 88 octane which in some areas contains up to 15% ethanol..hence E15. Yes it is cheaper and has higher octane rating but it has less energy so the engine consumes more which might result in slightly lower MPG, hence negate the cost benefit. Ethanol also tends to absorb moisture and so it does not have the same shelf life of 100% petrol. Now is it safe to use, that is where you go to your owner's manual and on 2006 there is no mention of 15% ethanol fuel blends because it was not available until 2011. However, the EPA is stating E15 is approved for +2001 vehicles.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts