Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Dodge Durango 4.7. I've been told by others that I could and probably should use the 88 octane fue. My questions are has anyone used this fuel in a Durango and ended up with problems, and can it be interchangeable with 87/89 if 88 isn't available while traveling? Any information is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I have never seen 88 octane. No matter, if you read the label on the gas pump it says minimum 87 which means it is always 87 or higher anc chances are it is higher.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Are those prices current? WOW if they are cause I just paid $5/gallon for mid grade this morning. Got to love NJ.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Personally, I would never use any pump gasoline that has a higher than 10% by volume concentration of Ethanol unless it is a Flex-Fuel vehicle from the factory or a project vehicle with a properly converted / compatible fuel system, alcohol content sensor and a tune). Now both the wife's 2.0L turbo Buick and my '14 V6 Durango are flex-fuel vehicle from the factory. Once a summer I fill the Buick's tank with E85 (which would be the button label 51-83% in the photo above) and do some WOT pulls on empty highway on ramps. Great way to de-carbon the engine combustion chambers, exhaust manifold and turbo. I have never pumped anything higher than 10% Ethanol into the Durango's tank.

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
489 Posts
Personally, I would never use any pump gasoline that has a higher than 10% by volume concentration of Ethanol unless it is a Flex-Fuel vehicle from the factory or a project vehicle with a properly converted / compatible fuel system, alcohol content sensor and a tune). Now both the wife's 2.0L turbo Buick and my '14 V6 Durango are flex-fuel vehicle from the factory. Once a summer I fill the Buick's tank with E85 (which would be the button label 51-83% in the photo above) and do some WOT pulls on empty highway on ramps. Great way to de-carbon the engine combustion chambers, exhaust manifold and turbo. I have never pumped anything higher than 10% Ethanol into the Durango's tank.
Owners manual says E15 is ok.
Font Number Screenshot Document

·
Registered
2021 Durango GT Plus AWD
198 Posts
88 octane in the Chicago area as stated above is E15, meaning it contains 15% ethanol. You usually see it mostly at the discount chains, like Thronton. Usually runs a few pennies per gallon cheaper than Regular 87. Does it hurt? Probably not on most newer vehicles built within the past 20+ years, but I would avoid it like the plague in any outdoor lawn/snow equipment. While I wouldn't personally make a steady diet of it, I have used it once or twice in our 4 cyl. Jeep when it was the only thing available. As also mentioned, you'll probably get slightly less energy/mpg, negating any pennies saved per gal. Because it is harsher on lines, rubber, pumps, it may shorten their life, hence the warning to NEVER use in outdoor equipment.

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
489 Posts
88 octane in the Chicago area as stated above is E15, meaning it contains 15% ethanol. You usually see it mostly at the discount chains, like Thronton. Usually runs a few pennies per gallon cheaper than Regular 87. Does it hurt? Probably not on most newer vehicles built within the past 20+ years, but I would avoid it like the plague in any outdoor lawn/snow equipment. While I wouldn't personally make a steady diet of it, I have used it once or twice in our 4 cyl. Jeep when it was the only thing available. As also mentioned, you'll probably get slightly less energy/mpg, negating any pennies saved per gal. Because it is harsher on lines, rubber, pumps, it may shorten their life, hence the warning to NEVER use in outdoor equipment.
I wish I lived closer to WI boarder as they have ethanol free gas.

·
Registered
2002 DODGE Durango SXT, 4.7L V8 32 teeth... Nicknamed: GREEN MONSTER
6 Posts
I have a 2004 Dodge Durango 4.7. I've been told by others that I could and probably should use the 88 octane fue. My questions are has anyone used this fuel in a Durango and ended up with problems, and can it be interchangeable with 87/89 if 88 isn't available while traveling? Any information is appreciated.
93 is definitely the better grade of fuel to use. It will help to maintain your engine a little better in my personal opinion. But! Make sure you keep your regular schedule maintenance up to date. Any problems you encounter, fix them immediately.

·
Registered
1999 Durango SLT 4x4
70 Posts
Octane has nothing to do with "better grade of fuel". Differing octane ratings will be essentially the same fuel with the same additives with the exception of the anti-knock package. If your engine was designed to burn 87 octane to suppress knock then there's absolutely no reason to run a higher octane.

High performance/high compression engines DO require a higher octane fuel to suppress knock and detonation. Also, burning a higher than necessary octane could increase emissions of compounds such as benzene to the atmosphere. Something none of us needs.
Stay with manufacturer recommendations and your engine will last and you don't waste your $$$$$.

·
Registered
831 Posts
As far as the 2-cycle and 4-cycle power equipment, I take a 5 gallon Jerry can and go to a station that has 100% pure 89/90 octane gasoline. Its more expensive than any of the blended gasoline with Ethanol at the regular pumps, but after an appropriate dose of stabilizer I have never had any issues with any of the power equipment, ever. Never had to rebuild or replace carburetors/seals/gaskets/fuel lines and they always start on the first pull, except one temperamental leaf blower, that always takes 3-pulls (exception to the rule).

As far as the automakers and the use of E15, they were not happy at first when the EPA talked about allowing it to be sold, especially in non-Flex Fuel vehicles. More details here;

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
489 Posts
High performance/high compression engines DO require a higher octane fuel to suppress knock and detonation.
What I find interesting is the +2016 pentastars have a higher CR 11.3 to 1 than the 5.7 yet can run on the recommended 87 octane (although I think the challenger owners manual said something like 89 should be used for optimum performance). Which begs the question is the tune optimized for 87 and if so is there potentially more performance to be had by tweaking the tune to run on 93 on pentastars? I have never paid much attention to the v6 as I have had the 5.7 in a couple of my vehicles but now owning a GT with one I have a lot of respect for the power it makes on just 87.

My manual challenger RT has a recommended 91 and when it was stock it did not like lower octane fuel at all. My JGC 5.7 used to run 87 (89 recommended but 87 acceptable) but I found running 91 it had very little timing retard due to knock when compared to 87.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts