Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, New 2015 Durango in the driveway and I'm going through the manual learning the controls...

I have a question about the rear vent control (called rear "Rotate Mode Control" in the short-version User Guide) which selects the rear-seat air flow to be from lower, upper, or both sets of vents.

The lower vents are in the lower-rear portion of the first-row center console, correct? Upper vents in the roof?

When I change the mode (switch from lower to upper) using either the rotating knob available to rear-seat passengers or using the Uconnect touch screen, there doesn't seem to be any change in airflow from the upper/lower vents - both continue blowing, even if I wait several minutes.

Yesterday during the check-out process at the dealer we observed this general behavior (airflow not changing) but did see one instance where the lower vents turned off, only this happened several minutes after changing the setting (ie: long delay between adjusting the control and response in the vents/airflow).

My question: What should my expectation be about the upper/lower rear vent control? How quickly should the airflow respond to a change in the setting and should I expect to see a fairly complete stop of airflow in one (upper or lower) when I have the control set to the other?

My thought is that this might be a first repair item for the vehicle, but wanted to calibrate my expectation (for how it should work) first.

Thanks for any/all responses!

LRC

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
It drove me nuts as well! I believe I have lever set in the middle position. I have the knob set to auto. I gave up on figure out Dodges madness of air flow and where I think it should go vs where dodge sends it!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
if you are controlling it from the Uconnect and if both front and rear are on sync and the auto temp is on then air will go through both upper and lower vents. you will have to un-sync and manually control and probably adjust rear temperature manually.

Also yes it takes a few seconds or minutes to make the change. at least in my D. The computer might need to re adjust the airflow from top to bottom or vice versa.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - I've done some further testing and conclude the lower vent control for 2nd row seat is intermittent and generally unresponsive. With the "Rear Temperature Lock" set to unlocked in Uconnect, I can adjust the "Rear MODE" control knob:

Rear MODE knob.jpg

... between the different positions and I observe the upper (roof) vents turn off quickly whenever I set the knob in the "lower only" position, they turn on quickly whenever I set the knob in "both" or "upper only" positions, but the lower vents never turn on no matter what position the Rear MODE control knob is adjusted to. This is the response when I tested yesterday.

The response was inverted when I tested the day before - upper vents quickly responded as expected but lower vents remained on no matter what position the Rear MODE control knob is adjusted to.

Either the vent control mechanism is flaky or there's some kind of bug in the control electronics.

This is on my punch list for a service appointment later this month, I'll post the repair results after.

LRC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts