Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a new owner of a used 2012 durango 3.6L that needs a new drive shaft bushing. On my toyota tundra i believe it was called a carrier bearing or something like that. On thr tundra I was able to replace that bearing and rubber bushing by removing a nut at the u joint.
?#1. Since the Durango doesn't seem to have u-joints is there another way to disconnect the 2 parts of thr drive shaft?
I guess the other option is like other post I've seen where the while assembly is replaced.
If so...
?#2 (multi-part) is how do I figure out what size drive shaft to get? I'm not familiar with the measurments im seeing for parts online or at parts store? Is that something that can be determined by the VIN? And if so, what is that code?

Thanks for all your help.

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Cantfish:
A dealer can tell you by running your VIN the part number for the rear shaft assembly is. The rear shaft is replaced as a unit. I seem to recall someone in the aftermarket making a replacement for the center bearing, but not 100% sure.
The shaft assembly is not cheap!

Don

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
655 Posts
Not sure about durangos, but I know the carrier bearing can be bought for charger and challengers. Several guys on the CT forum had theirs fail and have had shops just replace the carrier bearing which saved them some coin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I guess my issue is mostly that if I go to a shop to get just the center support/carrier bearing I might as well just buy the aftermarket drive shaft that already comes with a new one. I just can’t tell if pulling the factory shaft apart at that bearing is something that can be done by a competent DIY type. I‘m pretty sure I can replace the whole thing if need be.

I’m not sure if I do replace the whole thing if I should go ahead and also replace the rubber bushings that go between the drive shaft and transmission/differential.

It seems like this process is the only thing in the world not on YouTube… The Haynes/Chiltons book says that drive train after like 2009 is something that isn‘t covered in the book. I’m not sure if that is because its just too hard to do or because they didn’t have that kind of vehicle for their tear down. (They do mention that they discuss it in the Chiltons drive train manual but I haven’t found one of those yet to verify this vehicle is in there before purchasing the book on line or something).

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
655 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I guess my issue is mostly that if I go to a shop to get just the center support/carrier bearing I might as well just buy the aftermarket drive shaft that already comes with a new one. I just can’t tell if pulling the factory shaft apart at that bearing is something that can be done by a competent DIY type. I‘m pretty sure I can replace the whole thing if need be.

I’m not sure if I do replace the whole thing if I should go ahead and also replace the rubber bushings that go between the drive shaft and transmission/differential.

It seems like this process is the only thing in the world not on YouTube… The Haynes/Chiltons book says that drive train after like 2009 is something that isn‘t covered in the book. I’m not sure if that is because its just too hard to do or because they didn’t have that kind of vehicle for their tear down. (They do mention that they discuss it in the Chiltons drive train manual but I haven’t found one of those yet to verify this vehicle is in there before purchasing the book on line or something).
Not sure if this helps, but have you looked here (although it is a Chilton site yet I notice the more recent year models have the same info as TechAuthority)?

It only shows how to remove the driveshaft from a 2012 but not how to repair it.
Font Rectangle Parallel Art Document

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure if this helps, but have you looked here (although it is a Chilton site yet I notice the more recent year models have the same info as TechAuthority)?
THIS IS GREAT! I was able to get access to it via a local Library so didn’t have to pay. Thanks for the idea. I’m going to have to look and see if they have links for my other vehicles as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure about durangos, but I know the carrier bearing can be bought for charger and challengers. Several guys on the CT forum had theirs fail and have had shops just replace the carrier bearing which saved them some coin.
Yes I found the one of the Durango as well… but I can’t find info on how to get the 2 parts of the shaft apart to put this one in. As I mentioned in other post, maybe I can do the labor to get the exhaust and shaft out and take to a shop to just have them do this part and then I can put it back in for less than it would cost to just buy a new driveshaft all together… However it will take more time to do that. I think RockAuto had a drive shaft for the Durango that was about $600 - but I need to double check if it was the right one. Autozone is about $900 and up.

the bearing itself looks to be about $25 if this is the correct part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts