Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm wondering about the differences when the light refresh happened in 2018 to present models. In 2017 the Knob shifter was still there no Car Play or Android Auto.
I read some people having issues with the newer U Connect system crashing freezing up etc which I have not experienced any issues with my 2017 Non Car Play U connect system. Other then the U Connect system is there any new issues that came with the 2018 and later models?
I'm thinking about the Tail light water issues.
What about the headlight HID bulbs, still the same ones? Did at any point did Dodge start using LED's for the Fog or head lights?

What about improvements over the 2017 and earlier models vs the 2018 and newer ones? Curious is some bugs have been worked like the Water pump or poorly placed tail pipes etc.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Can’t compare to older years but a few things I can touch on for you. 18+ r/t get the quad led fog lights. HID in the headlights are still present. Never had any issues with my 18’s Uconnect system either.

For the tail lights, I think it’s just luck of the draw. Mines parked outside everyday in the elements, see tons of rain where I live and no issues so far with it either.

overall I love my 18, still have a weird issue with a coolant odour sometimes but everything so far has checked out fine in terms of leaks and all that.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've not had any real issues with my '18 (early build). No leaking in the tail lights, mine is garaged but we do get toms of rain here + I use a pressure washer to wash it.
Only Uconnect issue is the clock gets wonky when switching from/to DST but that seems to 'self correct' after a few starts.

I do have the annoying weird smell in the cabin after hard acceleration, it seems to come & go.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can’t compare to older years but a few things I can touch on for you. 18+ r/t get the quad led fog lights. HID in the headlights are still present. Never had any issues with my 18’s Uconnect system either.

For the tail lights, I think it’s just luck of the draw. Mines parked outside everyday in the elements, see tons of rain where I live and no issues so far with it either.

overall I love my 18, still have a weird issue with a coolant odour sometimes but everything so far has checked out fine in terms of leaks and all that.
I wonder what the Coolant smell could be? I wonder if you have some kind of pin hole leak at the heater core? I guess over time it will show it's ugly face at some point.

·
Registered
179 Posts
We got an early build 18. No big I ssues so far. Only 18,000 miles. Guess only issue would be I did change the front wheel hubs. Had slight rhythmic noise in the right one at speeds of 70+. Could’ve had it done under warranty, but noise was only present at high speeds and didn’t want to mess with dealer diagnosis. I could get Timken replacement hubs made in USA from rock auto for $100 total. I didn’t mind the work so I just fixed it. Problem solved. Also it was way out of alignment. Drove fine but you could tell the camber was way off on front wheels, it was causing fast tire wear on inside of tires. Had it aligned. It was way out of spec I assume it was misaligned from factory. Otherwise no issues and love the Durango.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shame you had to spend money where Warranty would have fully covered that. And it sucks you have no faith in the Dodge dealer you deal with ( Who are they?) An alignment can go out from hitting bumps pot hole etc. So that isn't really anything out of the ordinary . They are worth getting done to save your tires, better steering and handling etc.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've not had any real issues with my '18 (early build). No leaking in the tail lights, mine is garaged but we do get toms of rain here + I use a pressure washer to wash it.
Only Uconnect issue is the clock gets wonky when switching from/to DST but that seems to 'self correct' after a few starts.

I do have the annoying weird smell in the cabin after hard acceleration, it seems to come & go.
I never had any smell come into the cabin after a hard acceleration. I wonder if that could be a dirty air filter or a start of a oil leak? You should check both things anyway just to be sure. Check your cabin filter as well. You may need a new one. New one should be every 20k miles.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I wonder what the Coolant smell could be? I wonder if you have some kind of pin hole leak at the heater core? I guess over time it will show it's ugly face at some point.
Yea eventually will figure it out. Also going to a different dealership now that I know is better than my previous. So they May figure out the issue as well. Not too worried right now.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Shame you had to spend money where Warranty would have fully covered that. And it sucks you have no faith in the Dodge dealer you deal with ( Who are they?) An alignment can go out from hitting bumps pot hole etc. So that isn't really anything out of the ordinary . They are worth getting done to save your tires, better steering and handling etc.
Well the dealer I bought the car at is 2 hours from where we live. They had Durango that was everything on it we wanted. I told the salesman if I was going to order one brand new that is exactly how I would order it. anyway I am not going to take the car back there for service again obviously since it is so far away. There are 2 CJDR dealers close to us, one about 15 minutes northeast and one about 10 minutes to the south. So if I had any work that needed to be done under warranty I would take it to the dealer probably to the north east. however for this I just decided to do it myself since it wasn’t a ton of money and I didn’t mind doing the work. Plus I wanted to replace both hubs at the same time and I knew they would only replace one.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I'm glad you enjoyed your project. I use to be a Technician and enjoyed working on my own vehicles. Now I only do things I want to do like detail and upgrades. With all my free time I have now I wouldn't mind a project.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I never had any smell come into the cabin after a hard acceleration. I wonder if that could be a dirty air filter or a start of a oil leak? You should check both things anyway just to be sure. Check your cabin filter as well. You may need a new one. New one should be every 20k miles.
I replaced the filter a while back with an upgraded HEPA one, the old one was actually pretty clean, only 15K miles on my D.
I've poked around under the hood and can't see any oil leaks etc. Others here have reported the same issue & some were resolved (cracked/warped manifolds or bolts etc.) but it's very hard to chase down.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2014 SXT RWD with a build date of 10/13. I just bought a 2018 SXT AWD with a build date of 5/18. Driving home from the dealer I kept bumping my forearm on the T-handle shifter. I also noticed the auto start/stop did not engage each time I stopped while stuck in a sigalert on the 57 frwy for an hour.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I figured out why the auto start/stop did not engage each stop. I was driving with the a/c on high in hot weather and it was keeping the a/c compressor running. Last night with the a/c on low, it worked perfect at each stop.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I figured out why the auto start/stop did not engage each stop. I was driving with the a/c on high in hot weather and it was keeping the a/c compressor running. Last night with the a/c on low, it worked perfect at each stop.
That always worries me that the Starter would wear out early.Sitting in traffic with that system turning the engine on and off probably gets annoying to some point. I know it's to save gas but I'm not sure if you will save the same amount in gas as what a starter replacement out of warranty would cost. But also not wasting gas and not polluting the air is another plus.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I liked my 2017, but when it got hot, the brake pedal would go (almost) to the floor at stop lights.

several dealers were unable to replicate it (even if I sat in the car & showed it to them)

the one dealer was able to replicate the brake problem, but not able to fix it,
they threw a few parts on it, but the brakes kept bleeding down at long stop lights.

the passenger side caliper had both pistons leaking (oil on caliper) at 60k miles.

replaced both front hubs about 60k, should have sooner.

no tail light leaks.

REALLY liked my durango, but wife was tired of it.
and for some reason, I was really scared of not being able to fix the brakes myself, so we got rid of it.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I liked my 2017, but when it got hot, the brake pedal would go (almost) to the floor at stop lights.

several dealers were unable to replicate it (even if I sat in the car & showed it to them)

the one dealer was able to replicate the brake problem, but not able to fix it,
they threw a few parts on it, but the brakes kept bleeding down at long stop lights.

the passenger side caliper had both pistons leaking (oil on caliper) at 60k miles.

replaced both front hubs about 60k, should have sooner.

no tail light leaks.

REALLY liked my durango, but wife was tired of it.
and for some reason, I was really scared of not being able to fix the brakes myself, so we got rid of it.
Wow that's a new one. What did you get next?
What's funny about brake system is they are pretty simple. You have a Pump, a Master Cylinder , brake lines , Calipers and break pads. Thats it there is really nothing more to it. When something is leaking, it shows wet spots. It's oil so it doesn't easily wash away in rain snow or a car wash hand or machine. I can't think of any reason why a dealership couldn't figure out this issue. If you had air in the lines, they can easily fix that by bleeding them and then topping off the fluid. If a caliper was sticking it would show on the rotors.
I haven't read around here anyone else having this issue but I could have easily missed that conversation.

Thanks for adding man.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have wondered what the difference is also. Our is 2018, with 24,700 K miles. The only difference is see is the front end grill line under hood. I mean you can tell the difference but I’m happy with ours. I try to take care of it best because cars are expensive. As I always say be grateful for what you have, and you will be rewarded with better.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The pedal issue was probably a faulty master cylinder, pressure bleeding past an internal seal.
exactly, I explained that to several service writers, and since they have never been mechanics, they could not quite grasp the simplicity of the system.

and since it only bled by when it was Heat Soaked, they had trouble replicating the brake pedal fade.

they finally replaced something, and then they could NOT get the system to bleed, they gave it back to me for an emergency, when I needed a vehicle for a few days, and I called a friend at the dealer, and she made the junior Techs have a Senior Tech show them how to bleed it, but that was another two days & 45 miles each way.

i was VERY GRATEFUL for my Durango 5.7, and LOVED IT, i was resigned to replacing the master cylinder with an aftermarket part next summer, bleeding it as is, then having the Dealer cycle the ABS Module and properly bleed it again, but the wife was....the wife.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've really have had no issues with my 2019 R/T during my first year of ownership. A couple of times last fall my HVAC system didn't seem to be working properly. Each time I shut the vehicle off and restarted it and the problem was resolved. Since the problem went away as fast as it came on I never even took it in to the dealer to look at.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts