Dodge Durango Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2018 R/T AWD Black Blacktop AUXITE LED directionals, window tint, OwlCam
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update: so went through the Read portion of the install to get to HP tuners. The CSP Racing kit did not include the SMART cable needed to read TCM For 2018+ Durango’s. Should arrive Thursday. This is needed before work is to begin, hence the delay. Also, created a tool/equipment list outside of the usual deep and normal sockets, screw drivers, breaker bars, etc. double check your garage for the following consumables and tools:

Shop rags
Carb cleaner
Anti-sieze lube
Tub-o-grease (Any auto grease)
Loctite: Blue, Red AND green but mostly blue

tools:
Cinch clamp tool
Impact hammer (1/2”) w 21 mm deep socket
Clamp wrench (name? It looks like a pipe wrench but flat with striations)
Coolant tub (clean/new)

start date scheduled for this Thursday. Target completion Monday. Fingers crossed

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
1,313 Posts
Keep on Keeping on!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Ugh! I hope this is not a harbinger of things to come. Step 1 PCM removal.

it looked simple. Push black button, lift red lever and pull. What has happened is that the cover with the red lever popped off the back of the connector. After scouring forums and YouTube I had not found an answer. When I looked closer at the mechanism the gears associated with the red lever are designed to push the connector away from the plug on the PCM. I had to reattach the covers and keep trying until it came off. Please note to make sure that when you lift the red lever the connector pushes away from the PCM. If not you’ll run into the same problem I had where the cover can come off. The cover came off surprisingly easy as it is all cheap plastic.

took 90 minutes for my slow brain to figure it out. Now that I know, it should only take 5 minutes for you if you learn from my mistakes....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Adding Trim Stick C-4755 to the toolbox for this build. I hate these little plastic parts!😡

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Front fascia is off, air flow system has been removed and radiator drained. Couple of points:
Front fascia removal was a PITA. They use plastic rivets instead af the tree fasteners and two end ones were metal and needed to be cut off. Will be replacing with screws and nut fasteners.

Coolant drain. Directions had spigot on passenger side with a drain hose. It was a red fitting on the drivers side and had to drain through the plastic parts not a hose. Color was dirty so will be replacing. Manual says 50/50 OAT coolant 16 quarts for mine (RT with tow package).

more tomorrow. My son is an aspiring mechanic and is perfectly happy rolling around on the garage floor.

View attachment 111200 View attachment 111200

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Front fascia is off, air flow system has been removed and radiator drained. Couple of points:
Front fascia removal was a PITA. They use plastic rivets instead af the tree fasteners and two end ones were metal and needed to be cut off. Will be replacing with screws and nut fasteners.

Coolant drain. Directions had spigot on passenger side with a drain hose. It was a red fitting on the drivers side and had to drain through the plastic parts not a hose. Color was dirty so will be replacing. Manual says 50/50 OAT coolant 16 quarts for mine (RT with tow package).

more tomorrow. My son is an aspiring mechanic and is perfectly happy rolling around on the garage floor.

View attachment 111200 We

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Today we got the intake manifold off and all that is involved with. Only slowdown was removing the Brake booster hose. Directions weren’t 3rd grader clear but got through it.

added new ngk iridium plugs. I didn’t realize that there were 16 plugs.... took a minute.

Tomorrow taking apart the radiator fan front of the motor to get to the balancer for crank pinning.

plan is to get through about half the install leave the rest for Sunday. Reassemble front end and do the coolant and fluids on Monday. PCM should arrive Wednesday or Thursday so will flas pcm then and rest drive

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
First slowdown of the day was getting the radiator hose off. The pinch clamp tool was too small on the opening and too long in the handle. Plus, the position of the clamp pinch wouldn’t allow for the tool. My son had a moment of genius and wrapped a small metal hose clamp around the pinch clamp and tightened it until it was loose enough to remove.
Just a tip for the thread followers

·
Registered
159 Posts
First slowdown of the day was getting the radiator hose off. The pinch clamp tool was too small on the opening and too long in the handle. Plus, the position of the clamp pinch wouldn’t allow for the tool. My son had a moment of genius and wrapped a small metal hose clamp around the pinch clamp and tightened it until it was loose enough to remove.
Just a tip for the thread followers
Sounds like good Father & Son bonding time. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
New wrinkle. Our impact hammer won’t fit between radiator and damper pulley so we had to remove the radiator as well...

breaker bar won’t work and with the block all taken apart can’t use the starter trick either

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Heat the head of the crank bolt with a propane torch, then use a your impact to loosen.

·
Registered
49 Posts
man that is AWESOME!!! Super jealous! I can't wait to Supercharge mine. I'll be doing a RIPP Supercharger though instead.

·
Registered
2020 SRT 6.4L V8
50 Posts
Kinda quiet.....based off your planned schedule should just be waiting to put the ECU back in.
Just read this thread but am uninformed regarding this kit. I'm gleaning that it's a performance enhancement but am not sure what it does. Would anyone care to educate me in layman terms? Much appreciated.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts