1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has what programmer?
Why did you choose that programmer?
What has it done for your Durango?

Been reading reviews of some Superchips programmers on Amazon...specifically the Cortex 3950 and the Flashpaq 3842. The Cortex got some great reviews while the Flashpaq did not. One thing i noticed was I did not see any reviews from owners of trucks as old as mine. Superchips doesn't offer much in the realm of differences explained on their website but from the reviews there must be a difference.

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
The Superchips will work Great for most Mods. An SCT will be more tailorable for more extensive mods
STEVE

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I did hypertech in beginning years, worked better than the death flash. Superchips 3865 is what's on the d now, happy as a clam. I've done some stepped up mod'ing and it works great on the premium program.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Welcome DarkD,
In combination of breathing mods AND your ability to manage the right pedal for Economy, YES, it can,
5mpg is about the top side benifits

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
3865 never came up in any of the superchips product searches for me. dark D i have the 318 in mine. bought it with trans issues for $1000 i stripped out the interior for cleaning and put a new heater core and ac evap in.....havent touched the engine yet and im getn 14.5 to 15mpg city. as soon as I get the room in my budget im going to do a full tune up and hopefully a k&n drop in filter. im hoping thatll be good for 2 to 3 mpg city and shortly after that free up my exhaust system.....i have 2 flowmasters lying around and one of them has Rangos name on it

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I also peruse the DodgeTalk world and see both the 3865 and the even older 3815 tuners going cheap. Then I believe the hyperteks 50002 part # is one of the oldest! but still around. Anywhere from 50-150 for an unlocked one. Make sure you ask if it's unlocked/ unmarried before paying for it. If you find one locked, it's typically 100 to unlock, but been hearing stories that the mfg stopped supporting the unlocking of older units.
good luck on your searches....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also peruse the DodgeTalk world and see both the 3865 and the even older 3815 tuners going cheap. Then I believe the hyperteks 50002 part # is one of the oldest! but still around. Anywhere from 50-150 for an unlocked one. Make sure you ask if it's unlocked/ unmarried before paying for it. If you find one locked, it's typically 100 to unlock, but been hearing stories that the mfg stopped supporting the unlocking of older units.
good luck on your searches....
i'll check dodgetalk too,again thx for help

·
Registered
5 Posts
3865 never came up in any of the superchips product searches for me. dark D i have the 318 in mine. bought it with trans issues for $1000 i stripped out the interior for cleaning and put a new heater core and ac evap in.....havent touched the engine yet and im getn 14.5 to 15mpg city. as soon as I get the room in my budget im going to do a full tune up and hopefully a k&n drop in filter. im hoping thatll be good for 2 to 3 mpg city and shortly after that free up my exhaust system.....i have 2 flowmasters lying around and one of them has Rangos name on it
keep me updated with your improvements,i intend on making same improvements

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
14.5-15mpg city seems pretty damn good already if you ask me. I usually get 12-13mpg city and anywhere between 16-19mpg highway with my 5.2L.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that may be due partly to the trans shift kit i put in. it shifts pretty hard......hard enuf my wife asked if it was normal. very little slip. also cud be due my driving style with it. throttle very rarely passes 50%. also i wonder what the pcm differences are between 98 n 99

·
Registered
5 Posts
that may be due partly to the trans shift kit i put in. it shifts pretty hard......hard enuf my wife asked if it was normal. very little slip. also cud be due my driving style with it. throttle very rarely passes 50%. also i wonder what the pcm differences are between 98 n 99
think your right about the lead foot,can watch gas gauge sink when at 5500 pullin onto hwy

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Starting with this last tank of fuel i started my fuel economy experiment. so far i have averaged 15.0 mpg w it and peaked at 15.1 for a lil bit. might start a thread documenting that experiment. i am interested to see just how much small modifications effect the mpg. so right now im establishing a base best mpg wo any maintenance or mods. first thing im gonna do is a full tune up, cap rotor wires and plugs. thinking about doing the plenum gasket just because.....170k, of which, im only responsible for the last 1000. after that it'll be exhaust and air filter. see if i can find an affordable set of shorty headers, remove the insides of another component and put in a flowmaster. ill prolly just get a drop in k&n rather than buy a cold air intake unless some one can prove it makes enough difference to justify the price. last but not least a programmer.....looking at superchips they seem to get good marks here in this forum. My goal (which may be laughable) 20 city 24 hwy

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just recently bought a Cortex 3950 I have a lot of experimenting to do with it had to do a a little work before using it, found my dead short a lot quicker than I thought I would. I tried the fuel saver mode but I live where I have to go up Hills and the fuel saver mode makes going up Hills sluggish tried the 87 performance settings and it seems to be quicker. Need to adjust the shift points to reduce the hard shifts. Not sure what a good place to start is though.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
as long as the hard shifts are not gonna take a u joint out id leave them be. less slip in trans. so from my research online i see the factory est mpg was 13 city 17 hwy....thats some crap economy. driving my commute (4 lane w lights) i get 15.1 according to my overhead display and I checked that against my actual mileage. the math at the pump told me I was getting 16.87. This was a pleasant surprise. so hopefully my lofty goals are attainable

·
Registered
29 Posts
following this thread with curiosity. Mine came with a cold air intake. I replaced it with the stock setup, put in the copper plugs and changed the oil. economy went up 1 mpg. I'm having to replace both spindles but afterward, next week I hope, I'll be back on track with some economy improvements. maybe plug wires and rotor/cap. then I'll do the math on the cortex. If I can run 87 and get +3 while running 87 I think it will pay for itself in a year or so. I also need a new tailgate, so who knows.

·
Registered
221 Posts
i ended up getting sean (hemifever) do my programming with a sct tuner- i also had a superchips 3715 and 3815 before that on my 02 R/T

1 - 19 of 19 Posts