Dodge Durango Forum banner

Problem when starting engine

6K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Tom13DurangoRT 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have a 2012 Dodge Durango. Sunday I started having a slight sputter when starting my Durango. It will start up but sputter out a couple of seconds after. The second or third time it starts up and runs fine. No engine lights come on so the computer wouldn't fire any codes to tell me what the issue is. My fuel pump sounds fine. Can anyone point me in the direction of what I need to get looked at?

#7 ·
Agreed, also if you have a Hemi you should be doing plugs every 30k for a 2011. My Ram is about due for a second set.

A lot of guys think 30k is too early, and you might be able to stretch it to 40k or so, but pulling the plugs allows you to read them and can give you an indication of your engine's health. Also, it reduces the likelihood of them sticking in the heads or galling the threads (big problem on the 5.4 Ford Tritons).

#9 ·
If you got an external relay installed by the dealer in the past on your vehicle, it will be located next to the radiator overflow tank neck out in front of the TIPM (fuse box) on the passenger side.

FYI - mine (2013 DD RT) got a new external relay installed before I bought it with 40K miles on it. It took all the way until around 145K miles for the external relay to start acting up too. When mine decides to give me issues, I unplug mine and plug it back in and then I can go another dozen starts before it "sputters out" after starting or simply won't fire at all. Just happened again a couple days ago and it's been fine again since I unplugged it and plugged it back in again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.