Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a leak in my power steering pump. The vehicle is a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4-wheel drive, 4.7L. It was a leak from the actual pump metal housing. I finally replaced it today and man was it a pain! Anyhow, the new pump is on and running a lot better than the old leaking one (like it should). I bled the system (turning the wheel from side to side). I test drove her and she drove pretty smooth. However when I went to pull into the garage which was at a slow speed the wheel got harder to turn. I checked and had someone turn the wheel while I checked underneath. No leaks! And yes I used a spacer for the reservoir. Neither the pump, high pressure line, or return line are leaking. I bled the system for about 20 minutes(turning the wheel from side to side). Its not as easy to turn as it should be especially at slower speeds. The pump is brand new from AutoZone and they claim they test all their products. So no leaks but still some tight resistance from the wheel at slower speeds and while idle? Does anyone have a possible diagnosis? I've looked all over and found nothing. Does the pump just need some breaking in? Please help! Any and all suggestions or ideas are great appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Only issue I ran into with steering on my '01 4.7L is when reg mopar steering fluid was put in the system instead of the factory recommended ATF+4.
Did you use ATF+4?

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I used reg mopar, could this be the issue?
I found it to be..much to my surprise.
With the reg Mopar PS fluid at times it was like the powersteering failed..and it made some noise at times too.
Once I got most of it switched back to ATF+4 which the FSM recommends...smooth as silk again.

I did a bit of research afterward and the reg. Mopar PS fluid is only for much older Mopar power steering units.
Yours requires ATF+4.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts