Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first time I tried, it was windy as all fall weather goes and I tipped 130mph on the long track.

The second (only other time I even tried) I was leaving work after a tumultuous back to back 10hrs shift(thats 20 hrs for those Common Core mathematicians). Some teenager in a busted Ford Fuckus(literally missing rear bumper) decided to cut me off from the on ramp across 3 lanes into the #1 lane. Needless to say I started slamming on the horn as I leaned into the median and started flinging up grass! Pissed beyond recognition, the kid decided to take off and I wanted that plate for future reference (no hidden agendas...maybe) So I tailed the junk pile Ford until he ran out of steam and pulled into the #2 lane and coasted ....the SRT had so much left in the tank!!! So I decided to let bygones go and let’em slow down so this dude heard the pipes.
Got home and checked.139mph..not bad kid not bad!
It felt a lot like Indiana Jones and Shortround in the Temple of Doom.
65062731-A46A-47F4-B897-FFE21862492B.jpeg

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
This is what happens when you go out with old friends! Was going for 150 but passenger was getting nervous. View attachment 114911
Nervous because you were doing 147?
Or because you had your phone in your hand taking a picture of your dash?
Next time wait until you stop and take a picture of your recorded top speed. It's a neat feature that you may not be familiar with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nervous because of doing 147 with BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL. Before you lecture someone you should pause and not make assumptions. You only saw the 147 and missed a ton of information. There’s my lecture for you.

Look at the picture again. Do you think I could be doing 147 in 7th gear at 1800 rpm? Or how about that cool top speed feature you mention? It says TOP SPEED right under the 147mph! Or how about the 51mph indicated at the end of the tach numbers?

See, while driving my daughter and her friend to field hockey practice at a SAFE 51mph at 1800 rpms, my daughter’s friend asked how fast the car was. Instead of mashing the pedal to the floor, I scrolled to that cool “top speed” feature. She couldn’t see from the back seat so my daughter leaned over, took a pic with her phone and held the phone for her friend to see. I have never taken a picture of it. That’s my “top speed story”.

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT 392
942 Posts
I’ve only been able to hit 130 due to the cheap ass tires I have. One didn’t balance out completely and anything over 90 and it starts to shake a little. When I upgrade, I may go for it when I visit Mexico.😁

Reactions: ReactorFactor

·
Registered
2018 Durango SRT Bruiser Gray
206 Posts
OK, to preface this, I've rarely gone over 100 in my life. Once on a Yamaha 350cc 2-stroke that would do exactly 100, and I had to ride the centerline because it was a light bike and it was windy. Another time my daughter had rolled her car and I did a bit over 100 to get there in my 2005 Hemi Durango. I got the SRT new 18 months ago for sub-100 blasts. I know I've never gone over 90, and the only other person that's driven it is my adult son when I was along. I bought the SRT with about 300 miles on it, after it sat on the lot for a year. I got curious when I saw this thread. Apparently someone at the dealership had some fun, actually surprised it wasn't higher. That's only 30MPH over the 80MPH SD speed limit.

Reactions: ReactorFactor

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Nervous because of doing 147 with BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL. Before you lecture someone you should pause and not make assumptions. You only saw the 147 and missed a ton of information. There’s my lecture for you.

Look at the picture again. Do you think I could be doing 147 in 7th gear at 1800 rpm? Or how about that cool top speed feature you mention? It says TOP SPEED right under the 147mph! Or how about the 51mph indicated at the end of the tach numbers?

See, while driving my daughter and her friend to field hockey practice at a SAFE 51mph at 1800 rpms, my daughter’s friend asked how fast the car was. Instead of mashing the pedal to the floor, I scrolled to that cool “top speed” feature. She couldn’t see from the back seat so my daughter leaned over, took a pic with her phone and held the phone for her friend to see. I have never taken a picture of it. That’s my “top speed story”.
You are right, I missed that in your post. However, my advice after your 2nd post still stands. You want to be the typical "what can go wrong" person, especially with kids in the truck, so be it. Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I never knew about this feature but after seeing the pictures I checked mine....its at 132. I rarely go over 90 in the DDSRT. It just starts to feel pretty uncomfortable around 110mph so 90 is my most common speed; to me that is a good cruising speed. I think I hit 132 in the middle of COVID when I had a 6 lane highway all to myself.

When I truly want to go fast I drive my GTR.....in that car my fastest ever was 189....and I said never again; it wasn't even fun anymore at that point and felt like I had a death wish after the 160MPH mark. In that car the 140 mark feels pretty comfortable, after 140 it starts to feel not so comfortable. I once traversed an entire state from the entry state line to the exit state line without ever dropping below 120 in the GTR....the good old days.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'll have to check mine once I get it out of the shop! :cool: Probably be around 130 ish!:rolleyes: Been over 120 many times! Just love getting out of the traffic on the freeway!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I never knew about this feature but after seeing the pictures I checked mine....its at 132. I rarely go over 90 in the DDSRT. It just starts to feel pretty uncomfortable around 110mph so 90 is my most common speed; to me that is a good cruising speed.
So you're saying a vehicle that is designed with a 180mph top speed feels uncomfortable at 110?
Or do you mean you start to feel uncomfortable driving it at that speed?
I don't push mine as hard as I know I can because I haven't had too many open road opportunities. But I'm pretty sure 110 is way below this beast's point of feeling uncomfortable.

·
Registered
97 Posts
So you're saying a vehicle that is designed with a 180mph top speed feels uncomfortable at 110?
Or do you mean you start to feel uncomfortable driving it at that speed?
I don't push mine as hard as I know I can because I haven't had too many open road opportunities. But I'm pretty sure 110 is way below this beast's point of feeling uncomfortable.
I've driven sports cars most of my life, around the 110mph mark I become more aware of how badly it will handle if I need to switch lanes, stop suddenly, or maneuver for any reason. Also, the stock tires and wheel balance was terrible; for the first 12K miles it shook pretty badly after 90. When I got them replaced by Midas (amazing service btw), they replaced them with a different brand and properly balanced them....the DDSRT had never driven that well, the difference was truly night and day.

So yes, it may be designed to drive 180mph but its definitely not even close to a sports car, so for me around the 110mph mark is where I feel it needs to be on a track where it can stick to a straight line and there's plenty of room to slow it back down.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I've driven sports cars most of my life, around the 110mph mark I become more aware of how badly it will handle if I need to switch lanes, stop suddenly, or maneuver for any reason. Also, the stock tires and wheel balance was terrible; for the first 12K miles it shook pretty badly after 90. When I got them replaced by Midas (amazing service btw), they replaced them with a different brand and properly balanced them....the DDSRT had never driven that well, the difference was truly night and day.

So yes, it may be designed to drive 180mph but its definitely not even close to a sports car, so for me around the 110mph mark is where I feel it needs to be on a track where it can stick to a straight line and there's plenty of room to slow it back down.
I agree the stock balance leaves much to be desired. I have had my wheels balanced at Costco and like you said, the difference is very noticeable. Would love to track mine one day to see what that 150+ feels like but, probably never gonna happen...:(

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well checked mine when I got it back from dealership for repair - just a measly 124MPH. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Which is weird cause I know when I took the ex SIL out for a ride/pull I know I did atleast 135?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well checked mine when I got it back from dealership for repair - just a measly 124MPH. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Which is weird cause I know when I took the ex SIL out for a ride/pull I know I did atleast 135?
Perhaps the dealer reset/flashed/updated something that cleared stats. Then "test drove" it. :D

Reactions: CaptMoe

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yep that is exactly what it is cause my launch time is gone! So the test drive to check repair was 124 Mph!
You could ask the service manager;
  1. When they worked on my vehicle, was it reset/flashed/updated? <wait for confirmation>
  2. Is this what caused my performance stats to be lost? <implying that's your complaint>
  3. Did they road test it afterwards to make sure everything was working? <implying they missed something>
  4. Is going 124 MPH part of the normal road test? <and now they know the issue>
If you do this, make sure it's in-person. More entertaining that way. :devilish:

Reactions: Buck99rog
1 - 17 of 17 Posts