Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are continuing to love our '15 DD R/T.

My wife is the primary driver, and she mentioned it sure would be nice to have a front camera view so she doesn't pull too far forward and hit parking stops, curbs, etc.

We've got the 8.4AN (VP4 I guess?) system, and have most options but not the tech group. From my forum search it seems like Customtronix may have something along these lines, but I just can't nail it down between this forum and the Customtronix site.

TIA.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm curious about the same thing, I have a tight parking spot and the neighbors car in front of me, is very low and I can't see it when parking. Front camera would help nicely.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The customtronix jail break silver would allow it. It brings a camera and everything and is really easy to install just software and a hardware cable that is plug and play. Camera can be programmed to come up at low speed and can be taken away by tapping the touchscreen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The customtronix jail break silver would allow it. It brings a camera and everything and is really easy to install just software and a hardware cable that is plug and play. Camera can be programmed to come up at low speed and can be taken away by tapping the touchscreen.

Ooo - me likey. Are there instructions for mounting the camera? Would I have to route a cable through the firewall?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
How much is this ? Where is the camera mounted ?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Is 229 euros for the one with camera. Not sure about how to mount the camera they have great customer service.

·
Registered
529 Posts
pm me- there's another forum yo ucan join to get a BIG discount.

I have the Jailbreak but didn't like their camera- i'm a "no-Drill" sort of guy so i bought one that bolts to the license plate screws (And then drilled a tiny hole in plate holder to get wire behind that- it's just a crappy peice of plastic so was alright with that).

Once the wire was behind the plate holder i snuck it behind the bumper- forget exactly but think the plate holder overhangs the bottom grill opening. From there towards the passenger side fogs. Then strap it to those harnesses and brought up along pass side of engine bay to fuse block area. At that point i grabbed power with a fuse tap- others have grounded off to the jumper post - it just spins off with a socket- I grounded to a peice of dashboard frame by the radio. From the fuse area there's a bunch of slots/grommits into another 'mini enginer compartment' between the real enginer compartment and the cabin- toss the cable down there. Then get in the vehicle- pull the felty "ceiling" of the pass side foot well- it's held in with a bunch of christmass tree type clips that are reusable if you get out with a trim too or the like. Then look up were all the harnesses pass through the firewall- seems most Durangos and JGC's have a spare plastic knockout there. Pull it out and presto chango your in the cabin with your cable. Many just slit that and run the wires through it- no drill issues again- so i found a grommet/replacement knockout on ebay and used that.

Pulling the radio requires you to pull the trim off the radio- it's just yanks off- like 4ish spring clips. Then about 4 bolts to undo and the radio comes out- add the customtronix inline harness- then connect your camera inputs and bamn your set.

Front cam is a nice feature- the software comes with 2 options- whenever the car slows to under ~15mph in drive the front cam pops up- OR- you can set it to be just like the rear camera when you switch into gear (drive in this case) it turns on until you hit ~15 then shuts off. To me the automatica was "too busy" that it comes up at each traffic light or stop or whatever. So i do the only initially in drive. Downside is when i pull into a space and want to take a look- i coast in- slap it in to N for a sec then into D again and the camera comes up.

Also while either the front or revers cam are on you can tap the back button to switch- sometimes useful for parallel parking of the like.

You get that fun but also are allowed to have your passengers read texts or type on the screen even in drive.

You can also add a 3rd camera/video soruce for a trailer or to watch your kid or whatever- some people hook their phones up via miracast or appletv or the like to get google maps or any phone app on the touchscreen. To get access to the 3rd camera- you have to install a feature that will REPLACE the headrest fold down button with a button to turn on the 3rd video source.

·
Registered
529 Posts
here's the website to buy the software hack- you want the "silver" package to also get the harness adapter to plug in other video sources:
Under Dash | Customtronix
You put in an order- they email you back a paypal bill and you pay. They send you the software download links shortly and then ship you the physical bits fedex air- got mine in 2 days.

it comes with a camera like this (not sure if it's exact- but same sort of mounting options- drill or bolt on bendable metal bracket)
Multi CMOS 7070 Chip Camera ? For Montage with full installation options | Customtronix

I didn't want to drill and even finding a spot to bolt on the camera wasn't any fun for me so after playing around a couple weeks with zip ties and the like i bought something like this for a cam:
Amazon.com: BOYO VTL425HDL Multi-View License Plate Camera (Black): Car Electronics
you plug in a remote to program it the way you want then just inplug it and it keep those setting forever.

·
Registered
259 Posts
here's the website to buy the software hack- you want the "silver" package to also get the harness adapter to plug in other video sources:
Under Dash | Customtronix
You put in an order- they email you back a paypal bill and you pay. They send you the software download links shortly and then ship you the physical bits fedex air- got mine in 2 days.

it comes with a camera like this (not sure if it's exact- but same sort of mounting options- drill or bolt on bendable metal bracket)
Multi CMOS 7070 Chip Camera ? For Montage with full installation options | Customtronix

I didn't want to drill and even finding a spot to bolt on the camera wasn't any fun for me so after playing around a couple weeks with zip ties and the like i bought something like this for a cam:
Amazon.com: BOYO VTL425HDL Multi-View License Plate Camera (Black): Car Electronics
you plug in a remote to program it the way you want then just inplug it and it keep those setting forever.

The camera that came with my RAX silver had some double sided 3M tape for mounting but I wasnt sure how long that would last so I didnt use it. Here in Oklahoma we dont use a front license plate and I dont want to install a frame just for the camera so I never installed my camera. Still trying to figure how to mount the camera in the lower grill area and it looks professional\factory.

·
Registered
259 Posts
We are continuing to love our '15 DD R/T.

My wife is the primary driver, and she mentioned it sure would be nice to have a front camera view so she doesn't pull too far forward and hit parking stops, curbs, etc.

We've got the 8.4AN (VP4 I guess?) system, and have most options but not the tech group. From my forum search it seems like Customtronix may have something along these lines, but I just can't nail it down between this forum and the Customtronix site.

TIA.

I was wishing I had waited for this instead of getting the RAX jailbreak. It gives you built-in wifi screen mirroring for Android and iPhone plus it gives you power leads for camera's and the other stuff like the RAX and a remote. The RAX has just component video inputs so if you want to connect something that is hdmi or your smartphone you will need to get a converter.
https://www.coastaletech.com/uconnectairv2.htm

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Can some one post pics of the cam mounted ?
Any stills of the front view ?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just noticed this Note for the lockpick air for Apple ios9 users...that sucks!

NOTE: APPLE has released a new operating system known as iOS9. This operating system removes the ability of Apple products to connect and mirror screen views to any device other than an Apple TV. If you are currently using a Lockpick Air product with an Apple device, do not change your operating system to iOS9 or all mirroring functionality will be lost. Also, new product releases from Apple which already have iOS9 on them, are not compatible with Lockpick Air products.

As always, Android products do not have any of these restrictions and will connect and stream all screen views and content to Lockpick Air products.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, everyone for their input and suggestions so far. I must admit I'm now a bit reluctant to make these changes - would hate to break anything...

·
Registered
529 Posts
The camera that came with my RAX silver had some double sided 3M tape for mounting but I wasnt sure how long that would last so I didnt use it. Here in Oklahoma we dont use a front license plate and I dont want to install a frame just for the camera so I never installed my camera. Still trying to figure how to mount the camera in the lower grill area and it looks professional\factory.
yep- i couldnt figure out how to mount it professionally either- good luck.

Before i bailed on that and got the font license plate cam (i woulnd't add the frame either- NO DRILLING- lol)- i thought about building a metal bracket behind the grill and drilling a hole to bolt in the customtronix cam but never bothered.

Fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thanks, everyone for their input and suggestions so far. I must admit I'm now a bit reluctant to make these changes - would hate to break anything...
three's nothing to break- get crazy- lol.

Seriously the only thing that you "could break" would be the trim ring around the radio. Someone posted a video of yanking the durango radio on youtube- you can watch that and see how easy it is. It uses spring clips- not the plastic christmas tree things or plastic tabs so nothing to break off.

other that than it's unbolting and no need to drill anything.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Can some one post pics of the cam mounted ?
Any stills of the front view ?
here's the manufacturers site of the 3rd party camera i got of ebay. They have a few options that bolt to the front plate. Also there's some stills of the various options you can enable on in the camera- lines- different modes- adjust the angles- etc.

VTL275HDL / VTL375HDL, VTL405HDL / VTL425HDL // Vision Tech America, Inc.

sorry never mounted or played too much customtronix supplied cam

·
Registered
161 Posts
That lockpick air looks neat. Does the durango have some sort of location to install a camera in the mirrors? My wifi has an infinti JX35 which has cameras in teh mirror & it does a front/rear/side view when backing up to give a full surround view.

Does the lockpick do the VIM for movies? My kids constantly lose the remote for the factory settings.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts