Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a popping noise when I pulled out fast or on a hill, No, it was not a CV joint as suspected .. it as the transfer case chain, I ordered a chain from local dodge dealer and had my local transmission shop to install and that stopped the popping. They said the chain was stretched but gears looked ok

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Boz:
Welcome to DDN. Year/model/mileage is always helpful. Do you mind sharing what the shop charged you to install the chain? I assume they had to R and R the transfer case. If so, I would have had them replace any other parts they thought might be a future problem, while they had it open.

Don

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had a popping noise when I pulled out fast or on a hill, No, it was not a CV joint as suspected .. it as the transfer case chain, I ordered a chain from local dodge dealer and had my local transmission shop to install and that stopped the popping. They said the chain was stretched but gears looked ok
I forgot to say but it was my 2012 v6 Durango with 115,000 miles the transfer chain cost a little over $200 and labor was around $250 plus fluid I had $ 500 in this repair.. but now I’m having a problem with heat on the passenger side of my Durango. The driver side is good but no heat on passenger side of vehicle, I replaced the gears to the vent doors on both sides a few years ago because I had heat and no a/c the vent doors were stuck and broke the gears. I’m not sure if it’s the same problem in reverse or if I have another problem.

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Ok on the $500. Not as bad as I expected. Re the heating issue, those blend door motors are known for being problematic. Did you go back in with oem, or aftermarket blend door motors?

Don

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot to say but it was my 2012 v6 Durango with 115,000 miles the transfer chain cost a little over $200 and labor was around $250 plus fluid I had $ 500 in this repair.. but now I’m having a problem with heat on the passenger side of my Durango. The driver side is good but no heat on passenger side of vehicle, I replaced the gears to the vent doors on both sides a few years ago because I had heat and no a/c the vent doors were stuck and broke the gears. I’m not sure if it’s the same problem in reverse or if I have another problem.
I replaced the vent door gears with oem gears from dodge dealer, but it was gears only on both sides I’m sure. I did it myself in my driveway, I don’t remember replacing the motors. Like I say it’s been a few years ago I remember it was a all day job because of two bolts you couldn’t hardly get to .. I haven’t had time to check all the fuses I’ve been working so much I didn’t know if there was a separate fuse for other side. Probably not but it worth looking before I take it apart… but if I remember that was easy side I just had to remove the glove box.

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Ok on the oem parts. Might be the same pieces again, or something different. Can you hear the doors moving as you select different modes? It's been my experience that such HVAC box issues are a crap shoot. Some cars never have them, some have one, then no more, and some are problematic over the life of the vehicle.

The hope, is that the vehicle in question can be repaired without having to pull the dash. Many can, but a number of them can't. I never understood why they would put a $50 part, where it takes $1200 or more labor to R and R it. The truth of course, is they build it to hopefully make it past the warranty period, where the repair is not on them.

Don

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok on the oem parts. Might be the same pieces again, or something different. Can you hear the doors moving as you select different modes? It's been my experience that such HVAC box issues are a crap shoot. Some cars never have them, some have one, then no more, and some are problematic over the life of the vehicle.

The hope, is that the vehicle in question can be repaired without having to pull the dash. Many can, but a number of them can't. I never understood why they would put a $50 part, where it takes $1200 or more labor to R and R it. The truth of course, is they build it to hopefully make it past the warranty period, where the repair is not on them.

Don
They told me 1200 to do the job last time that’s why I did it myself it took all day but I got it done with out pulling the dash as told, but not easy it might have been faster to pull dash. I never have been able to hear the doors open or close but they did work till they didn’t! But if I remember passenger side I can just remove glove box then reach in and fill if motor is working it’s only 3 bolts to remove if I remember right .. the only bad part it’s cold this time of year and I can’t get in my garage.

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Understood. I would eliminate all of the easier to access items, before pulling a dash. The one time I had the need, thankfully I had an extended warranty to cover it.

Don

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Understood. I would eliminate all of the easier to access items, before pulling a dash. The one time I had the need, thankfully I had an extended warranty to cover it.

Don
👍

Don
[/QUOTE

I took glove box out again and I could feel vent door motor moving but heat not changing so I removed motor a the gear was broken again so I got to get another from dodge.. I took tape and fixed door lever to stay hot till I get one now it winter

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Fantastic!
How long ago did you install this? The part may have a 12 or 24 month warranty. It would be a double blessing if that is the case. If not, at least you did not have to spend more.

Don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts