Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a pop-knock noise in front suspension. It always happens when braking for first time then often over small bumps, accelerating, braking, turning at low speeds.

It's been in the shop for 4 days now. They said there was a tear in the tie rod boot so they replaced the whole tie rod, that didn't fix it. Now they're installing a new strut tomorrow, hopefully that does it.

They have me in a Mazda 5 with no rear camera, blind spot detection or auto cruise. Rather strange driving it, didn't realize how dependent I've become to those features.

Edit: Fixed, see my last post with pics.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Did they check the sway bar end links?

Not sure how they are made on the Durango but my Ram's were the type with a ball and socket and they wore out constantly within warranty. They made awful pop clank knock noises even on the smoothest roads. Worth checking. Just take them off and test drive it. After the warranty was out, i bought solid (no joint) links and haven't had any issues for over 70,000 miles.

Sent from my SM-G925R7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Interested to hear what fixed this as the wife's Durango has the same issue.

·
Registered
255 Posts
On my 05 I had a pop/ thud noise and it turned out to be my sway bar linkage.
So far I have new upper ball joint control arms and sway bar linkage.

Next job is lower ball joints and tie rods cause I am sure they are coming up due soon.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Round 1 - Day 9, still at the dealer. They have replaced the tie rod and the strut, said the noise changed but it's still there. Hopefully they'll try the sway bar next. I'm getting real tired of my Mazda 5 rental.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Did you feel anything in the steering wheel?

Reactions: Khalifa

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
there's rack n pinion connections to think about too. did you have 4wd?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Round 1 - Day 10. They gave up on day 10 and gave it back to me after replacing the tie rod and strut. They filed a star case which then suggested loosening all suspension and brake bolts, adding some oil then over torque them by 10%. That didn't fix it.

Now a Chrysler engineer is coming in to look at it to be scheduled in about a week. Current thinking is it might be a body seam or weld making the noise.

·
Registered
143 Posts
What body seam do you think it is? I have had a clunk noise in the front felt in brakes since day one on a 4 month old truck. 2 different dealers called it normal. Its not bad enough to fight with idiots so i let it go. I don't even notice it anymore.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What body seam do you think it is? I have had a clunk noise in the front felt in brakes since day one on a 4 month old truck. 2 different dealers called it normal. Its not bad enough to fight with idiots so i let it go. I don't even notice it anymore.
They have no idea. After replacing the tie rod they put Chassis Ears on it which indicated the sound was near the strut but replacing that didn't fix it. Certainly not a normal sound as I didn't have it until around the 20,000 mile mark. It does usually happen when I brake but small bumps can cause it too. I'll certainly post the final fix when it happens.

·
Premium Member
28,308 Posts
Doubt its a seam or weld.
Hope the engineer finds it
STEVE

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Round 2 - Day 3: Still in the shop. Dealer called last week and said engineering sent an email to try removing a triangle piece of stamped metal attached to the subframe. I brought it in and watched them remove that triangle piece, it was about a foot long and held on with big bolts then I had to go. A couple hours later I got a call it was fixed (first time they've ever called me with an update, I always have to call). I arrive only to find out the advisor was wrong, it was sort of fixed.

I walked in on the service manager and engineering liaison chatting about my car wondering what to do. The noise is gone when the piece was removed. It's nothing but a stamped piece of metal and neither had any idea what it's function was. They wanted to keep the truck so I left again with a Ram 1500 this time. I've had no update since, tried calling but advisor was busy and left a message, no return call yet. I'm more amused and intrigued at this point, I'm a stay at home Dad so this is not a hardship for me, just a minor inconvenience. More to come when I know more.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fixed - Apparently my D was done 2 days ago but they forgot to tell me. At any rate it seems to be fixed. Paper work says "Removed triangle shaped piece of sheet metal going from front subframe to body panel. Reinstalled with Loctite on large subframe bolt".

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Is it possible to take a pic of the location of said triangle?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Thank you for the pics an the arrow!! Interesting the GC doesn't gave it, yet we do.

Reactions: ronrymanr

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm hearing a noise too, I have 150 miles on the truck I was hoping some bushings just needed a little time to break in. If it's not a safety issue I'll probably wait til the first oil change to bring it up.

Reactions: ronrymanr
1 - 20 of 30 Posts