Dodge Durango Forum banner

Have you water collect in the tail light of your 2014+ Durango?

• Yes

Votes: 176 66.4%
  • No

Votes: 89 33.6%

• Total voters
361 - 380 of 380 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2015 with 100K miles. I’ve replaced the racetrack light twice. Was NOT covered under lifetime warranty (Maxcare). $700 per repair. Current one is leaking now too. I’ve removed a screw that helps it drain, but it’s a matter of time before this one fails too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2015 Citadel that I got new in 2016. Last year in February i noticed a hairline crack in the tailight and condensation but prior to that had no issues at all. Dealer replaced under warranty. Now this year starting in December I noticed water pooling in the tailight and then also noticed that the entire middle section was not lighting at all sometimes. The past 2 weeks it would not turn on at all. Fortunately my dealer replaced it again for me this week under warranty. Hopefully this new one will be trouble free.
my 2016 Limited recently accumulated water in both sides - my dealer replaced the light and covered it under my Max care warranty without any hassle. He said he's replaced about 10 in the last year and doesnt see why other dealers wouldnt do the same. Weird

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a 2015 with 100K miles. I’ve replaced the racetrack light twice. Was NOT covered under lifetime warranty (Maxcare). $700 per repair. Current one is leaking now too. I’ve removed a screw that helps it drain, but it’s a matter of time before this one fails too.
Did you try a few different dealers or contact FCA? Seems weird that some dealers do it and some don't. They all go through the same procedure to get approval from FCA to perform the repair I assume.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Is there no way to repair the singular LEDs on the board, inside the light housing?
Sure. I fixed the array, but I just wanted to see if I could. (see previous post somewhere back through this endless thread, because I posted about it w/ pics).. They're made of generic SMD's. That ain't the problem. The problem is getting to them, repairing it, then, getting the sandwich back together without breaking the lens plastic, which is very brittle.
My "guinea pig" arrived cracked by UPS, so R&R wasn't possible anyway. But yeah, the LED arrays all worked afterwards.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just took the bottom two side bolts out and left them out. Haven't had a problem with the light failing in a year and a half like this. There are quite a few bolts holding this piece on under the plastic panel on the back. Its not like its going to fall off with these out. Anyway this is just what I did and stopped worrying about it lol

·
Registered
884 Posts
Dealer replaced ours (2016 model) at around 42k miles as a “courtesy” repair for a $200 co-pay. Now I’m at 65k miles and today I noticed water in both sides and the left side flickering out. I have the Mopar extended warranty but I’m almost certain they’ll insist the taillight isn’t covered. I’M PISSED!!!!!!

When does the class-action lawsuit begin?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I just took the bottom two side bolts out and left them out. Haven't had a problem with the light failing in a year and a half like this. There are quite a few bolts holding this piece on under the plastic panel on the back. Its not like its going to fall off with these out. Anyway this is just what I did and stopped worrying about it lol
The question is, do the bottom bolts drain when the hatch is closed and at what level. I've taken mine out to drain before I got my tail light replaced just to watch the water drain as the LED was already not working. My new one(about a year old) already has signs of moisture(speckles of moisture) on the passenger side. I'm thinking of running a bead of exterior grade silicone around the top and side of the housing and see if that does anything.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Dealer replaced ours (2016 model) at around 42k miles as a “courtesy” repair for a $200 co-pay. Now I’m at 65k miles and today I noticed water in both sides and the left side flickering out. I have the Mopar extended warranty but I’m almost certain they’ll insist the taillight isn’t covered. I’M PISSED!!!!!!

When does the class-action lawsuit begin?
Hard to believe that for over five years and for probably the last three, FCA has known this is an issue and haven't corrected the design. Mine was replaced under the lifetime warranty with a $100 deductible but it seems that others with the same warranty haven't been so lucky. It seems to be hit or miss. You would think they would get it redesigned as the more people who decide not to fix it are bad for sales when they drive at night and you can't mistake this taillight for anything but a Dodge product.

·
Registered
884 Posts
You would think they would get it redesigned as the more people who decide not to fix it are bad for sales when they drive at night and you can't mistake this taillight for anything but a Dodge product.
Yep, nothing screams shoddy quality like a partially-burned-out ribbon of light blazing down the highway for all to see. Just shameful.

I’ve never had a taillight on any of my vehicles in my lifetime take on water. Figures it would happen to the one that costs a THOUSAND FREAKING DOLLARS to replace, knowing it will only happen again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Any lawyers on here down to do a class action lawsuit on this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just replaced the center assembly after someone cracked the left side and water got in and caused the bottom strip to go bad (didn't know about the bolt thing until it was too late).

I did the job myself and in addition to putting on the new part I ran a bead of silcone around the new gaskets on both sides prior to putting the light on. I also did a sealing bead between the full length of the top of the light and the body as well as down the sides. I used black silicone, clear would prob work too.

I am convinced the water is getting into the assembly from the top edge, causing water to pool around the gaskets which eventually dry rot and fail. The bolt thing and drain holes are just treating the symptoms. The cause is the water dripping in between the top edge and the body where there is a gap. Fill that gap in some way and you'll greatly decrease the chance for water getting into the light. Gravity is king here. Water runs off the back window of the liftgate and right into the gap on the top edge.

Look at photos from other forum members - the dirty areas are at the top/bottom where water runs and pools. Heck you can even see the vertical water lines running down from the top edge.

Tape it or seal it, it's the only fix, otherwise it will happen again.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I was getting moisture in my left side, put a bead of silicone between the lens and the body to give me some time to get around to fixing it the right way. The moisture cleared up on its own, so stopping the water from the top is key as well as taking the lens out and water proofing it the right way.

·
Registered
884 Posts
My original taillight (2016 model) lasted 3 years. The replacement lasted 1 year. Clearly the Dodge engineers are on top of the issue. :/

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just went to the dealership with that for mine. They said those are on backorder and will call me when it comes in. They didn't look surprised at the issue and it's covered by the warranty. Sadly the very next day during a downpour, the tail light completely went out. So now all I have is the side ones, the tailgate "racetrack" is out. ☹

That is a big major safety issue, I would be on phone with Chrysler to get it repaired. Our 2018 collects water on left side only, I just unscrew the little screw inside truck and the water leaks out.

361 - 380 of 380 Posts