Dodge Durango Forum banner

Have you water collect in the tail light of your 2014+ Durango?

• Yes

Votes: 172 66.2%
  • No

Votes: 88 33.8%

• Total voters
341 - 360 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are several threads about water pooling inside the racetrack tail lights of 2014+ Durangos. It's clear that this is a widespread issue so I'm trying to find out exactly how widespread. Please answer this unscientific poll (1 time only) whether you've had the problem or not.

(Maybe this will help those of us who may be trying to get the light repaired/replaced under warranty.)
Please redo one for wet weather vs dry weather. (ie NYC vs LA)

·
Registered
234 Posts
What makes me really angry, is that there is not a recall on this poor design flaw. I live in the Snowbelt, and really don't want to have to replace this whole entire unit every time it encounters water/salt mixture. I just spent $500.00 on a "used" light from a donor vehicle. Is there a way I can seal this before putting it on? I have purchased clear silicone, but, not really sure where to begin to seal the unit from moisture. Any input from anyone who has sealed their own would be greatly appreciated. I truly do love this racetrack design light, just wish Dodge would step up, and do the right thing! Thanks!
You can remove one of the bolts each side to allow the water to drain out in case it accumulates inside.

·
Registered
856 Posts
The more I read these threads the more I'm glad I have a 2013 Citadel without the "Racetrack" BS light assembly. I feel sorry for you guys that have them and especially those with the problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Overkill with the silicone? Probably... I picked up a new 2019 GT in November and I plan on keeping it for at least 5 years. Left no opening unsealed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
The Titanic could have used your waterproofing skills!! Looks great, thanks for the pictures!

·
Registered
27 Posts
There are several threads about water pooling inside the racetrack tail lights of 2014+ Durangos. It's clear that this is a widespread issue so I'm trying to find out exactly how widespread. Please answer this unscientific poll (1 time only) whether you've had the problem or not.

(Maybe this will help those of us who may be trying to get the light repaired/replaced under warranty.)
Have a 20 and I am going to keep a very close eye on it and will post back if something happens . Also another stupid thing with these to my understanding is the reverse lights are inside this assembly but are normal bulbs so you get to disassemble this unit if you have to replace the bulbs . WTH were these guys thinking ?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Have a 20 and I am going to keep a very close eye on it and will post back if something happens . Also another stupid thing with these to my understanding is the reverse lights are inside this assembly but are normal bulbs so you get to disassemble this unit if you have to replace the bulbs . WTH were these guys thinking ?
I hope Dodge is not that stupid and the bulbs will be accessible from inside somehow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can remove one of the bolts each side to allow the water to drain out in case it accumulates inside.
Thanks, and due to this forum, I have done this, water drained only out of passenger side. Damage was already done to the LED's though, as the bottom 16 inches or so are 'burnt' out. That is the reason why I have purchased a used lamp assembly off of E-bay, at the low cost of only $500.00, and want to waterproof it in any way possible, being that I do live in the snowbelt. Yes, $500. for a burnt out back lamp assembly.....let that sink in for a moment.....Extremely angry with myself for loving this vehicle this much, and not researching it more before purchasing! Shame on me!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great poll! My 2014 w/ backup cam takes on water & has a short in the bottom right corner. I noticed that there are at least 2 different part #s for 2014-2015 vs 2017-2018. Would be great to add year to the poll to see if there is a particular part# that is problematic. Also curious if a 2018, if more reliable, fits on a 2014.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Purchased our 2016 Durango Limited back in July 2019 and just yesterday noticed a crack down the center of the "racetrack" light panel. The crack appeared to start at the top of the plastic housing of the light and then work it's way through the clear plastic cover. No physical evidence of damage. Not sure what happened but it is what it is.
I appreciate everyone's input regarding the issues owners are having this this type of light unit. I really enjoy my Durango, but it make me wonder about the overall quality of the vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I have taken my old light off and I can see why it failed on passenger side. Water seaped by the gasket and leaked right into the light. What a terrible design relying on that gasket to stop the water from entering. Yes, DODGE, gaskets sometimes fail, and leak. I have the new light and sealed with clear silicon, like the pictures on this forum showed me how and where to apply. Now, to see how long this light lasts. Light $500./used. Silicon $6.75. Light now works great, PRICELESS! Attached are the pics of the water damage where you can see from the rust colored water stains (right side), left side was okay.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you have the part #s for the gaskets?

Do you have the part #s for the gaskets?

The gaskets to which I was referring are already attached to the rear lamp assembly. I added more gorilla brand seal tape to them, along with silicon around the whole lamp assembly. Took about an hour just to seal the unit cleanly. I will let you know after a few car washes how it is holding up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Got my 2018 washed today, and while drying it off, I noticed water on the passenger side. Took it right to the dealership, and they said it would be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Dealership ended up replacing the entire assembly under warranty. Hopefully that solves the issue.
Had mine replaced(2014 R/T) under lifetime warranty last year around this time. Just recently started to notice droplets of condensation in only the passenger side just like the original unit except that was filled with water. Amazing that they apparently haven't fixed this problem in five years.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 2015 Citadel that I got new in 2016. Last year in February i noticed a hairline crack in the tailight and condensation but prior to that had no issues at all. Dealer replaced under warranty. Now this year starting in December I noticed water pooling in the tailight and then also noticed that the entire middle section was not lighting at all sometimes. The past 2 weeks it would not turn on at all. Fortunately my dealer replaced it again for me this week under warranty. Hopefully this new one will be trouble free.

341 - 360 of 372 Posts