Dodge Durango Forum banner

Have you water collect in the tail light of your 2014+ Durango?

• Yes

Votes: 172 66.2%
  • No

Votes: 88 33.8%

• Total voters
321 - 340 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I contacted Detroit Muscle Technologies to see if they would start making better quality gaskets for the lights. The response I got said they would look into it. They make very good quality restoration gaskets that I have used on my 71 cuda project, and make some late model gaskets for ram third brake lights fix a leak where water gets into the cab. Probably wouldn't hurt to have a few more people show interest to them in getting these made.

·
Registered
246 Posts
@1stDD had a great idea to prevent water from getting in. Mine was destroyed by the car wash I went into one and it blasts water on the back hatch I looked and noticed water in the light after the wash few days later dead section of light.

check out his preventative for water infiltration

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are several threads about water pooling inside the racetrack tail lights of 2014+ Durangos. It's clear that this is a widespread issue so I'm trying to find out exactly how widespread. Please answer this unscientific poll (1 time only) whether you've had the problem or not.

(Maybe this will help those of us who may be trying to get the light repaired/replaced under warranty.)
I have a 2017 Durango that I brought in for both license plate lights being out and was told by the dealer that the problem was due to corrosion and that after owning my vehicle for 2.5 years and 39k miles that I would need to replace the $1365 tailgate runner light. I'm curious as to your comment being widespread where you came across it.... I have opened a case with manufacturer and would like to have more backround for my battle. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are several threads about water pooling inside the racetrack tail lights of 2014+ Durangos. It's clear that this is a widespread issue so I'm trying to find out exactly how widespread. Please answer this unscientific poll (1 time only) whether you've had the problem or not.

(Maybe this will help those of us who may be trying to get the light repaired/replaced under warranty.)
[/QUOT

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve had mine replaced twice the first time the installers cracked a corner and within a week it started to collect water. So they replaced it again and two months later it is full of water and a bug this time. Only happens on driver side center light. Very frustrating. Now they want $1500 to replace it as they say this is a trim item and not covered. I say it’s a safety item not trim and it should be covered under warranty. Was thinking of a possible class action as so many other people have the same problem. This should be a recall item. Not a expense to the owner as it isn’t our fault it leaks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve had mine replaced twice the first time the installers cracked a corner and within a week it started to collect water. So they replaced it again and two months later it is full of water and a bug this time. Only happens on driver side center light. Very frustrating. Now they want $1500 to replace it as they say this is a trim item and not covered. I say it’s a safety item not trim and it should be covered under warranty. Was thinking of a possible class action as so many other people have the same problem. This should be a recall item. Not a expense to the owner as it isn’t our fault it leaks.
After 2 weeks I'm still waiting to find out if manufacturer will warranty but was thinking the same about a class action...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2017 Durango that I brought in for both license plate lights being out and was told by the dealer that the problem was due to corrosion and that after owning my vehicle for 2.5 years and 39k miles that I would need to replace the $1365 tailgate runner light. I'm curious as to your comment being widespread where you came across it.... I have opened a case with manufacturer and would like to have more backround for my battle. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My dealer didn’t seem surprised, when I came in with the water in the tail light issue. He said after they replace it it usually is fixed.. well I’m on my 2nd replacement and my light is full of water. I have been looking at Durango’s in parking lots .. and it seems this is a widespread problem. If the dealer tries to charge me. They said $1500. I will contact manufacturer and then an attorney.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dealer didn’t seem surprised, when I came in with the water in the tail light issue. He said after they replace it it usually is fixed.. well I’m on my 2nd replacement and my light is full of water. I have been looking at Durango’s in parking lots .. and it seems this is a widespread problem. If the dealer tries to charge me. They said $1500. I will contact manufacturer and then an attorney.
Wow. I have not seen that in mine but I think If I were you I would remove the lower 10mm bolts others have mentioned. search it on you tube...super easy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
So mine was good for 64k but now is showing light condensation in the passenger left bottom. Not sure if anyone know id this only covered on the 3yr / 36 month warranty? I am asking because I have the max care and if its covered I will get it fixed by dealer, if not I guess I will take the housing out and run a bead of sealant around edge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just purchased my 2014 Durango, and cannot believe this is an actual problem that has not been addressed by the manufacturer! I also have water, (which I drained via the 10mm bolt on passenger side). That side bottom of light does not work now. 67,000 original miles and purchased from original owner, and I didn't think to check to make sure the race track light fully worked. Now here I am with the rest of you trying to decide whether to buy a new one, or, purchase one on e-bay for 1/2 the price.... Otherwise, I truly do love this Hemi powered Citadel, with every option to boot!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2015 had aproximity inch in it. Caused about two inches of light to burn out and also shorter out front turn signal on same side. Aftermarket warranty covered the $1200 to replace it. I have read that if you find the seam and run some silicone along it will help prevent from happening again.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2015 Durango, I notice my tail lights went out around 85000 miles. My whole led light is out. I was giving a estimate of $1400 to replace. I believe this should have been recalled. I notice more and durangos with the same problem. Hope whatever you are trying to do will get the attention and make a difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our '14 had this on the lower right side of the "racetrack" and that part burned out. It was replaced under the 3year 36 month bumper to bumper. Dealer told me the part alone is almost $1,000. I've since traded in on an '17.

I'd have a tough time spending over $1,000 to replace a strictly decorative part. (I noticed someone was concerned with vehicle inspection, this light shouldn't be an issue even if it is burned out).
ON YOUR 17 IT WILL HAPPEN ON AS WELL I HAVE A 17 AND ITS HAPPENED

·
Registered
246 Posts
This is a design flaw the gasket material shrinks and does not have enough coverage allowing water to enter the unsealed light fixture. In the Snowbelt this poor design will see more rapid failure due to intruduction of salt with the water. Times have changed from the reliable light bulb to the unreliable LED. This racetrack is dodges signature they have it on most of the vehicles and I thought on the durango was the best looking application . The designers get a big F for not sealing this unit and Dodge really should step up acknowledge and fix this problem. Their signature racetrack design is a failure and was one of the things I really liked about this SUV . We should start a post with pictures of not only yours but any you see on the road and send it to dodge with a note nice job you bunch of idiots fire your tail light design team. Collectively if half fail on the 300,000 that are on the road it will cost $180 Million dollars @$1,200.00 per light , I'm pissed

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is a design flaw the gasket material shrinks and does not have enough coverage allowing water to enter the unsealed light fixture. In the Snowbelt this poor design will see more rapid failure due to intruduction of salt with the water. Times have changed from the reliable light bulb to the unreliable LED. This racetrack is dodges signature they have it on most of the vehicles and I thought on the durango was the best looking application . The designers get a big F for not sealing this unit and Dodge really should step up acknowledge and fix this problem. Their signature racetrack design is a failure and was one of the things I really liked about this SUV . We should start a post with pictures of not only yours but any you see on the road and send it to dodge with a note nice job you bunch of idiots fire your tail light design team. Collectively if half fail on the 300,000 that are on the road it will cost $180 Million dollars @$1,200.00 per light , I'm pissed
What makes me really angry, is that there is not a recall on this poor design flaw. I live in the Snowbelt, and really don't want to have to replace this whole entire unit every time it encounters water/salt mixture. I just spent $500.00 on a "used" light from a donor vehicle. Is there a way I can seal this before putting it on? I have purchased clear silicone, but, not really sure where to begin to seal the unit from moisture. Any input from anyone who has sealed their own would be greatly appreciated. I truly do love this racetrack design light, just wish Dodge would step up, and do the right thing! Thanks!

321 - 340 of 372 Posts