Dodge Durango Forum banner

Have you water collect in the tail light of your 2014+ Durango?

• Yes

Votes: 172 66.2%
  • No

Votes: 88 33.8%

• Total voters
301 - 320 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Joined the list because I just found a bug in my light - in the middle just above my license plate. 2019RT with 13,000 miles. Figure if a bug gets in water can too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Joined the list because I just found a bug in my light - in the middle just above my license plate. 2019RT with 13,000 miles. Figure if a bug gets in water can too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. Me too. No water infiltration, even after Hurricane Irma's 130MPH eye wall, but i sure do have dirt and bugs inside! This is because the black backing is open to the environment all over the place. There is no realistic way to seal it. Some have had success keeping the environment from getting behind the assembly itself, (caulking, silicone carney, weatherstripping etc around the exterior of the entire assembly).
The flimsy factory "gasket" is useless also.

Anybody who cares to disagree with the above (and some already have) should take the assembly off their DD, and toss it in the nearest lake, and post a report of how long it floats.
Jus sayin ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys,

Signed up to this forum because I'm frusterated with water in my lights. Bought my 15 durango in Feb. of this year. Noticed water already in there by April. Notifed the dealer ( bought it at a toyota shop) . They agreed to replace it. Took about a month because dealer did not want to pay $1k for a new part. After the finally gave him, I washed my durango about 3 times that week to make sure water does not go in. All clear. Few days ago, not even 6 months in with a brand new part, bubbly water spots on bottom right side of racetracks. UNREAL! I'm starting to feel this is a design issue where us customers will have to pay for every few years. New part doesnt last a year without water coming in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I found a how to remove the racetrack tail light on YouTube and did so just to inspect it and see how it was sealed. Found a 1in wide foam type gasket around the opening that is meant to keep out the water. I cleaned the dirt off of it let it dry and covered the gasket with 100% rubberized silicone, and reassembled. Now I know that water will not enter here. One less thing to throw dollars at later on.
Can you shoot me a link to this youtube video ? I would love to try this myself. Thanks!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi guys,

Signed up to this forum because I'm frusterated with water in my lights. Bought my 15 durango in Feb. of this year. Noticed water already in there by April. Notifed the dealer ( bought it at a toyota shop) . They agreed to replace it. Took about a month because dealer did not want to pay $1k for a new part. After the finally gave him, I washed my durango about 3 times that week to make sure water does not go in. All clear. Few days ago, not even 6 months in with a brand new part, bubbly water spots on bottom right side of racetracks. UNREAL! I'm starting to feel this is a design issue where us customers will have to pay for every few years. New part doesnt last a year without water coming in.
Not
Hi guys,

Not too clear on your post. Did the Toyota dealer purchase a new one or install a used one? BTW mine lasted four years before a section failed due to water.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not sure if this will help some of you or not but I took a bit of a pro-active step. I have not had any water yet in my racetrack LED but after reading all of these posts I took the Dango to a local vehicle wrap facility and had them add a black strip across the top of the racetrack panel to seal the gap between the metal body of the car and the light panel itself effectively stopping any water from running down behind the racetrack. Now all the water runs down and off the front of the racetrack itself. In person unless I pointed out the strip of vehicle wrap you really can't tell it is there. It looks like it is supposed to be there.

Just something that I did... It may work for you.

View attachment 102960

View attachment 102962

View attachment 102964
how's this working out for you ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just filed my warranty claim on this part, on my second Durango a ‘17. Happened in exact same spot on my ‘14. Make sure you bring to dealer before bumper to bumper runs out. That part is over $900 without labor!

you’d think Dodge would have figured this out by now...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Just filed my warranty claim on this part, on my second Durango a ‘17. Happened in exact same spot on my ‘14. Make sure you bring to dealer before bumper to bumper runs out. That part is over $900 without labor!

you’d think Dodge would have figured this out by now...
You'd think! My 14 was covered under the lifetime extended warranty but I doubt it would be the next time if it happens again.

1. On another note, anybody know if removing the screws on each side of the inside of the tailgate which let's any water drain out can cause any other issues?

·
Registered
377 Posts
You'd think! My 14 was covered under the lifetime extended warranty but I doubt it would be the next time if it happens again.

On another note, anybody know if removing the screws on each side of the inside of the tailgate which let's any water drain out can cause any other issues?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have an appointment booked in 10 days to get mine replaced for the 5th and last time. First one was December 2017. 2 year warranty on the light is up this December. Thank god it happened now. Trading it in after this. Refuse to pay $700 - $1000 a year for a poorly designed tail light.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have just reported not to have this issue, but I should probably also say yet as so many of you do, and I pressure washes my car!
Could someone please advise me as to where the 2 bottom screws are located, being that they are referred to all over I should like to know
as I might just remove them too as a preventive measure!

I will be at the dealer tomorrow and will inquire about this issue, including to find out if it's covered by the "Lifetime Warranty" which I do have.

Thanks
Preben

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have just reported not to have this issue, but I should probably also say yet as so many of you do, and I pressure washes my car!
Could someone please advise me as to where the 2 bottom screws are located, being that they are referred to all over I should like to know
as I might just remove them too as a preventive measure!

I will be at the dealer tomorrow and will inquire about this issue, including to find out if it's covered by the "Lifetime Warranty" which I do have.

Thanks
Preben
Here you go. One on each side.

·
Registered
8 Posts
does anyone know the exact dimension of the tailights? how much wide ? I'm gonig to wrap the entire trunk to TRY to avoid water coming in the cracks. I just need to try .. and wrap is about $30 or so.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I left the bottom screw off and put the top one back in. Noticed that the lights is a bit loose so the top screw tightens it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
$600 - $900 for new I'm going to try a hack to see if it looks good before throwing cash in the wind

This stuff is trim-able to 1'' runs on 12 V maybe it can slid into the dead portion as a back light with some type of baffle. I'm over 104K mileage and don't feel like spending that type of cash for a light

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here you go. One on each side.
Thanks, couldn't be more clear !! :)

I was just told by my Service adviser that the assembly(ies) will not be covered by FCA after the 3year 36000 miles warranty runs out!!!

Quite frankly, that stinks!!! I paid the big bucks to get the "lifetime warranty" and expected to get this type of issue covered, especially if it's as common a phenomenon as you gents are letting on! Guess that one still has to take the time to read all the small print, and still think that rear tail lights won't leak so no big deal.

Well, well, every car/SUV has it's quirks, but I can't believe the cost associated with this!!

So I will remove the screws and see if any water comes out. What about the outer 2 assemblies, are they also prone to leak?

Did anybody take some photos of the leaking device showing where exactly the water enters into the Tail lights? I high pressure wash my car and will be careful not to get too close to the tail lights next time.

Thanks

Preben

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks, couldn't be more clear !! :)

I was just told by my Service adviser that the assembly(ies) will not be covered by FCA after the 3year 36000 miles warranty runs out!!!

Quite frankly, that stinks!!! I paid the big bucks to get the "lifetime warranty" and expected to get this type of issue covered, especially if it's as common a phenomenon as you gents are letting on! Guess that one still has to take the time to read all the small print, and still think that rear tail lights won't leak so no big deal.

Well, well, every car/SUV has it's quirks, but I can't believe the cost associated with this!!

So I will remove the screws and see if any water comes out. What about the outer 2 assemblies, are they also prone to leak?

Did anybody take some photos of the leaking device showing where exactly the water enters into the Tail lights? I high pressure wash my car and will be careful not to get too close to the tail lights next time.

Thanks

Preben
It's a lot more complicated than it looks. You can also try another dodge dealer for an estimate. It's a hit or miss. I have extended warranty on it and was able to get a new replacement. Though only 6 months in, I noticed water once again side of it. So now its a gasket/engineering/design issue here.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought my certified 16 RT in September of 2018 and had the tail light center section replaced under warranty in February of 2019 and now again last month. February's cost me the $100 deductible and last month was free. Really dumb design. I used clear caulk and filled in the side areas of the center section as they are open and have no gaskets. Came out great as you cannot see anything and no water is getting in that way. Have some ideas for the top part, but I really think more water gets in the sides than the top due to the sides being open with no gaskets. Most annoying part has been buying the Luxe tint 3x due to the replacements.

301 - 320 of 372 Posts