Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I tried to give my DD an oil change for the first time since my purchase. It’s was on 60%. I noticed my oil pan was plastic. Weird, never seen that on a suv. Is this rare? Do these trucks come with plastic oil pans? Another thing I couldn’t get the nut out for the oil drain. It was tightened on real hard. Didn’t want to break it cause I know for sure I’ll need a new oil pan. . Last thing I need is to take this boy to the dodge dealership and pay $900 for a new pan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Never mind my previous comment. Did a search and found out other topics about D with plastic oil pan.
How reliable those plastic oil pan anyway? I am used to heavy metal pan on my MB's.

·
Registered
230 Posts
After paying through the nose to replace two rusted out (to the point of leaking) oil pans on two separate 4.7L engines (2006 Commander and 2008 Ram 1500) I am VERY pleased to know that they've done this. I only wish my Pentastar had one...

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I can 100% confirm they're plastic, I just had a new one put on because the plug seized to the metal bung they have in there...

Very very tough plastic, if I remember correctly it's pa6-gf30 which is nylon 6 with 30% glass fiber. Or it was pa66-gf30, same thing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
279 Posts
Get a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, you won't regret it. I had to use my 1/2" air gun on full setting to get the oil pan plug out. With Fumoto, once & done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
U may have to use a longer wrench or breaker bar. Mine was like that and i had to put a new oil drain plug from AutoZone. Easy fix and not hard to untighten now.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
797 Posts
I changed my oil for the first time since buying this truck. The trans pan is plastic too. On the upside it has a drain plug.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I’m still having issues with the oil pan plug. I gave up. I’m just going to replace the oil pan

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: Was able to find a engine oil pan from my closest dodge dealership for $245. Autozone really wanted $465 for one. Smh.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Good deal. I hope you ordered the Fumoto oil drain valve so you won't have the same problem with this pan.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Unless someone crossed threaded the plug before you bought it there is no reason you shouldn't be able to get it out. And even if it was/is you might come out better in the long run just drilling out the one in there now and re-taping the treads. Sure would be cheaper and easier then swapping out the pan.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Unless someone crossed threaded the plug before you bought it there is no reason you shouldn't be able to get it out. And even if it was/is you might come out better in the long run just drilling out the one in there now and re-taping the treads. Sure would be cheaper and easier then swapping out the pan.
The plug will seize into the bung. If it seizes hard enough, like mine did, the bung will break free but the plug won't.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts