Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I saw someone somewhere in this forum talk about the difference between the 2, but the search here sucks and didn't yield any results.

Tomorrow I am giving the go ahead on a 392 build for the new 2021, and I told the dealer I wanted the 3 seasons instead of the all seasons. The main reason is because I will be putting dedicated snow tires on it in the winter, and wanted more of a performance tire for warmer months.

My question is if my decision is a good one, or if the all seasons are better. My guess is I am good to go, but thought I would ask if anyone here has experience with both. I'm aware the 3 seasons are a sticker and a less noisy tire than the all seasons from what I've heard around here, which is the other reason I chose the 3 seasons.

One other question, are both versions run flats? I can't seem to find current info on the newer Pirelli's. Personally I don't want run flats, but if that is what they are so be it. I was thinking if I had to replace one due to damage or whatever that the cost would be less if it wasn't a run flat.

Speaking of this brand, I am not impressed with the Pirelli's P Zero 3 seasons on my Daytona 392, as it has around 11,000 miles and they are in the 4/32 area for tread depth. Granted I have done a few burnouts, but not enough to cause them to wear that quickly. I will be getting Michelin Pilot Sports 4S's when I replace the stock tires on the Charger here soon, and will more than likely do the same when the time comes on the SRT.

Anyway as usual, I knew more than my dealer did on most everything, my wife even pointed that out after we left haha! He wasn't much help when it came to the small details like the tires, which is why I eventually came looking around here.

Anyone with some insight on the subject would be awesome!

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Durango SRT Bruiser Gray
206 Posts
If the tires are coming from the factory on a new DDSRT, they're run-flats. In fact, if you search Tire Rack, and put in Durango SRT of any year, it will only show you Pirelli run-flats, because DDSRT specs call for run-flats, and only Pirelli has run-flats that fit the DDSRT.

I've got 16k on my all-season Pirellis, they're at 6/32", so they may get to 20k or 25k before they hit the 4/32" mark, which signals replacement time. When I replace them, I'll pick wear-rating over run-flats, since pre-WFH I used to put 20-25k miles on a year, and I'm not going to pay $1,500+/yr to replace Pirellis.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the tires are coming from the factory on a new DDSRT, they're run-flats. In fact, if you search Tire Rack, and put in Durango SRT of any year, it will only show you Pirelli run-flats, because DDSRT specs call for run-flats, and only Pirelli has run-flats that fit the DDSRT.

I've got 16k on my all-season Pirellis, they're at 6/32", so they may get to 20k or 25k before they hit the 4/32" mark, which signals replacement time. When I replace them, I'll pick wear-rating over run-flats, since pre-WFH I used to put 20-25k miles on a year, and I'm not going to pay $1,500+/yr to replace Pirellis.
I thought that was the case with the run flats just needed definitive info on it.

If the 3 seasons I'm planning on getting with our build order live up to my expectations, I may weigh the options as well when I need to replace them. Hopefully I can get some good milage out of them vs what I am currently seeing on my Daytona. Obviously on that they don't come with run flats, but it is the same P Zero line of Pirelli's so I'm not very optimistic.

How do you feel the ride quality is with your all seasons, do you like them overall?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I thought that was the case with the run flats just needed definitive info on it.

If the 3 seasons I'm planning on getting with our build order live up to my expectations, I may weigh the options as well when I need to replace them. Hopefully I can get some good milage out of them vs what I am currently seeing on my Daytona. Obviously on that they don't come with run flats, but it is the same P Zero line of Pirelli's so I'm not very optimistic.

How do you feel the ride quality is with your all seasons, do you like them overall?

Run-flats have a stiffer ride, since the internal shell reduces flexing of the sidewalls. DDSRT owners that have switched to non-run-flats say the ride is smoother. I like the idea of run-flats and would probably stick with them if there were a higher tread-life alternative. The soft Pirellis have great traction, but at the cost of tread life. I like the Pirellis, except for the replacement cost and tread-life. I live in SD and they get great traction year-round.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I switched from the Pirellis all together ! Went with Pilot sport A/S 3+ ! Way better tire ! Handle just as good if not better then the Zero's!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Still waiting on my DDSRT but I ordered with 3 seasons. I’ll have a dedicated winter setup and as soon as I burn up the 3 season run flats I’ll get non runflats. I’ll have a spare tire as well as carry plugs and a small compressor.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We picked up our DDRST last week. I initially thought I forgot to pick the right tire when I ordered. To be honest I'm not quite sure what tire we have. The window sticker says Verde zero all season.

Coming from a 2018 DDRST where we got 26000 miles on those Pirelli Scorpion. Probably could have got 30000 but we traded.

Pirelli has many different tires. You search and these don't come up. Even their website has Verde, zero, scorpion and others. But not Verde zero. Which is why I'm a bit confused lol.

As I said I believe I have the all season. But these are not the same tires were had on our 2018 DDSRT. They ride so much smoother. I don't know if it is because of suspension changes in the 21. Or if it is new. I just hope I can get 3 years 26000+ miles out of these. And that is with towing. The 2018 Pirelli tires for us through some heavy blizzard snow. Hoping these all season pirellis match that.

BTW, how exactly by looking at the tire. Which one do I have?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Still waiting on my DDSRT but I ordered with 3 seasons. I’ll have a dedicated winter setup and as soon as I burn up the 3 season run flats I’ll get non runflats. I’ll have a spare tire as well as carry plugs and a small compressor.
That is pretty much how I will probably do it, guess it depends on if I actually like the tires, but for the price I'm leaning toward a non run flat. I too always have a compressor and road side stuff in the back, and run dedicated snow as well. I ordered mine with the Tow Package so it will have a spare tire if needed.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We picked up our DDRST last week. I initially thought I forgot to pick the right tire when I ordered. To be honest I'm not quite sure what tire we have. The window sticker says Verde zero all season.

Coming from a 2018 DDRST where we got 26000 miles on those Pirelli Scorpion. Probably could have got 30000 but we traded.

Pirelli has many different tires. You search and these don't come up. Even their website has Verde, zero, scorpion and others. But not Verde zero. Which is why I'm a bit confused lol.

As I said I believe I have the all season. But these are not the same tires were had on our 2018 DDSRT. They ride so much smoother. I don't know if it is because of suspension changes in the 21. Or if it is new. I just hope I can get 3 years 26000+ miles out of these. And that is with towing. The 2018 Pirelli tires for us through some heavy blizzard snow. Hoping these all season pirellis match that.

Sounds like you have the Pirelli Verde Zero, which is the standard all season, unless you opt for the three season Pirelli P Zero, which is what I did. Those are the only two tire options from the factory for SRT.

Edit: Not sure if that all season is new this year or not. It very well could be, and may not be available to find online yet.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Sounds like you have the Pirelli Verde Zero, which is the standard all season, unless you opt for the three season Pirelli P Zero, which is what I did. Those are the only two tire options from the factory for SRT.

Edit: Not sure if that all season is new this year or not. It very well could be, and may not be available to find online yet.

@WildSioux

Just checked out thier site, they have several P Zero names in their lineup, and it is a mix of summer, winter, and all season. Not very helpful, however after seeing that I don't think the all seasons for the 2021's are new, and probably the same ones you had on the 2018.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Per the other comments there are only two tire options. If you ordered the All Seasons (stock tire) it says "ALL SEASON" right below Scorpion on the sidewall. The optional 3-season tire is unmarked. If you ordered the optional tire you should have a separate $595 line item in the optional equipment section on the window sticker that says "Pirelli P Zero 295/45ZR20 BSW 3–Season Tires"

For what it's worth, I had the 3-seasons on my 2014 JGCSRT and they lasted about 12-16k miles with gentle driving. In the past few years they have changed the compound a bit on both tires to get more mileage. On my 2018 DDSRT I had the all season tires and had to change them at 24k miles as they were getting really noisy. I could have driven them longer, but replaced them to lessen the road noise.

Reactions: Durango Hellcat

·
Registered
58 Posts
Per the other comments there are only two tire options. If you ordered the All Seasons (stock tire) it says "ALL SEASON" right below Scorpion on the sidewall. The optional 3-season tire is unmarked. If you ordered the optional tire you should have a separate $595 line item in the optional equipment section on the window sticker that says "Pirelli P Zero 295/45ZR20 BSW 3–Season Tires"
View attachment 115147

For what it's worth, I had the 3-seasons on my 2014 JGCSRT and they lasted about 12-16k miles with gentle driving. In the past few years they have changed the compound a bit on both tires to get more mileage. On my 2018 DDSRT I had the all season tires and had to change them at 24k miles as they were getting really noisy. I could have driven them longer, but replaced them to lessen the road noise.
Thanks for the info guys. The word "zero" threw me off. I've always known the zeros to be a summer tire with terrible tread life and aweful snow traction.

Mine do say all season and have the M+S designation. Thankfully so I don't have to suffer through the winter with summer 3 season tires. But no where on it so I see "Verde". These must be new or specific to the Durango. I know manufacturers have special tires made to factory spec.

So far these "Verde Zero" (if that is what they are) compared to the Pirelli Scorpion tired are alot smoother quieter ride. Good luck finding any info about these though. Dodge build info doesn't have anything. And Pirelli has either Verde or a Zero but not both. Lol this shouldn't be this hard

·
Premium Member
2021 SRT
2 Posts
Just picked up my 2021 SRT. I had a 2014 Jeep SRT with the same run flats and I must say the 2021 version rides much better.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I chorded a set of 3 season at 10k miles I drive aggressively as I have nice country roads...when they wear down they get high NVH....

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I chorded a set of 3 season at 10k miles I drive aggressively as I have nice country roads...when they wear down they get high NVH....
See that's what I'm afraid of, low milage carnage LOL!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the P zero on my DDSRT and 1000 miles in a hate these tires. I'm in PNW we get a lot of rain there are horrible in the rain. I'm going to be switching these out for the Pilot sport A/S 3+

·
Registered
2018 Durango SRT
9 Posts
I was looking primarily for mileage when I bought replacement tires for my 2018 DDSRT. We also run winter tires. With my winter tires and my replacements I opted for a 265/50R20 which is slightly narrower than the 295/45/20 stock tires but the same height. There are more options at more reasonable pricing in this size.

For the replacements I went with the Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II because there were multiple reviews on Tire Rack of people reporting 30k+ and 40k plus miles out of them. They were $211 on Tire Rack but my local garage did $200 each mounted and balanced. Only downside was that they are made in Mexico not USA.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was looking primarily for mileage when I bought replacement tires for my 2018 DDSRT. We also run winter tires. With my winter tires and my replacements I opted for a 265/50R20 which is slightly narrower than the 295/45/20 stock tires but the same height. There are more options at more reasonable pricing in this size.

For the replacements I went with the Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II because there were multiple reviews on Tire Rack of people reporting 30k+ and 40k plus miles out of them. They were $211 on Tire Rack but my local garage did $200 each mounted and balanced. Only downside was that they are made in Mexico not USA.
That is is the same size winter tires I have. I considered getting smaller ones for my current R/T, glad I didn't.

So upon looking at my build sheet I noticed I didn't have the charge for the 3 season, and it wasn't listed as being an ordered option at all.

Guess that is good, sounds like the all seasons will last longer anyway based on what some of you have been saying. I will more than likely to get some Michelin Pilots or something similar when I do need to replace them.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have the P zero on my DDSRT and 1000 miles in a hate these tires. I'm in PNW we get a lot of rain there are horrible in the rain. I'm going to be switching these out for the Pilot sport A/S 3+
I'm going to wait for the Pilot A/S 4 in the stock SRT size, 295/45R20. Not out now, but someone on here heard to expect more sizes coming in the June timeframe.

Reactions: flyingcesar
1 - 20 of 22 Posts