Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow D owners. We just bought a '19 white RT and I'm looking into adding the towing hitch and harness. Ive been able to find a bunchbof info on part numbers and installs for the hitch and harness so I'm good there.

I try to do everything to factory specs as possible with all mopars I've owned.

With that being said I'm trying to find information on the factory intergrated trailer brake controller.

I have the part numbers for the actually switch but I know there is a wiring harness and some type of control module. The parts diagrams and discriptions are not very specific on the mopar parts websites.

If your Durango has the tow package and if you by chance are doing any work under your dash I would greatly appreciate any pictures of behind the brake switch the harness and module it plugs into. Or if someone else has already looked into this I would appreciate your input and advise.

Thank you

·
Registered
2018 DD R/T AWD
218 Posts
You'll want to read through this thread and this thread. It seems that the 2019+ are a bit more difficult to integrate after-the-fact unless you go with an overlay harness like the Tekonsha TK2213, a brake controller of your choice, and to do a LOT of wiring. To do a proper factory style integration on the 2019+, it ties into the Uconnect display which complicates things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for providing those thread links. Alot of information still going through it all. It's absolutely amazing and frustrating that FCA would go to that much trouble to not include at least trailer prep wiring in the harness. Honestly it would would have been so much easier and cheaper in the end to just make one harness that would go into all durangos no matter what trim. They do it in the Rams and even the Jeeps. I mean hell they even have a complete trailer brake intergrated controller kit that can be adapted to the new gladiators as well as the rams. Thanks again for the info very frustrating to say the least.

·
Registered
2018 DD R/T AWD
218 Posts
Here's a link to my hitch/wiring/brake controller install thread on my 2018 R/T non-factory tow pkg. Jump down to part 3 and read on.

If you're considering doing your own add-on wiring and aftermarket brake controller, you'll have to do everything I did as well as probably run a harness inside the vehicle to connect to your brake controller as I understand the 2019+ DDs don't have the factory wired plug near the parking brake pedal under the dash.

Gotta remember that there's lots of legacy DNA from Daimler still rattling around in these vehicles which I am sure doesn't help with consistency from model year to model year. Other folks have had good luck with the MOPAR trailer harness that attaches at the fuse box under the hood too.

Whatever you do, formulate a plan and do a LOT of research beforehand to avoid wasted effort/money.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I know the Tazer now has the ability to add the trailer tow setting to the Durango/Grand Cherokees.....It may make towing options appear on the display....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a link to my hitch/wiring/brake controller install thread on my 2018 R/T non-factory tow pkg. Jump down to part 3 and read on.

If you're considering doing your own add-on wiring and aftermarket brake controller, you'll have to do everything I did as well as probably run a harness inside the vehicle to connect to your brake controller as I understand the 2019+ DDs don't have the factory wired plug near the parking brake pedal under the dash.

Gotta remember that there's lots of legacy DNA from Daimler still rattling around in these vehicles which I am sure doesn't help with consistency from model year to model year. Other folks have had good luck with the MOPAR trailer harness that attaches at the fuse box under the hood too.

Whatever you do, formulate a plan and do a LOT of research beforehand to avoid wasted effort/money.
Thank you Sir! Really appreciate your input and advise. Definitely have some research to go through. At least I pretty much have the hitch and main harness figured out. It's just figuring out the brake controller part. Like I said in my post I like to do things as factory spec as possible but it's looking like I have to compromise a little in this case. I sent Mopar a message stating it would be nice if they could come out with a nice kit for us Durango owners sense I know it's possible beings how they do it for Ram and Jeep owners. I'm sure it won't go anywhere but I stated how many Durango owners look to add this option to there rigs are being left in the dark.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know the Tazer now has the ability to add the trailer tow setting to the Durango/Grand Cherokees.....It may make towing options appear on the display....
Ya I know it does but my issue isn't necessarily that part. I'm looking to add the factory intergrated trailer brake controller but it's looking like most 2019 at least don't even have the wiring harness for a brake controller at all. Waiting for my factory service manual to come in. Hopefully looking at some wiring schematics will shed some light.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
395 Posts
Where did you get a factory service manual from?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright so I've been on my wild goose chase trying to determine everything that would be needed for the factory intergrated trailer brake controller. I've managed to find the module, switch controller, and the trim piece it sits in. Needless to say just for those three parts it's about $400 or so. Then there is still the fact of figuring out how wire a harness that makes them all communicate with the body control module and ITBM (intergrated trailer brake module) supposedly that is intergrated in with the uconnect system. Not sure yet if this is separate module or if it's just the app that needs to be activated inside the uconnect along with the BCM. Needless to say going this route is not a cheap route to go on a hunch and hope it might work. So with the advise and input from Urbish it's just going to be more feasible to do a aftermarket brake controller unit.

Thank you for everyone's input.

If anyone by chance does figure it out I would still like to hear about it. Maybe if I find a local wrecked durango with tow package I'll rip into it and see if its even doable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts