Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The truck is rust free, 140k locked up due to antifreeze loss on highway. The ST isnt really listed on Mopar sites so i am having some issues with part "applicability"...

It was so clean i had to save it, its from the south and had to be garaged its whole life, outside cared for but the interior is dirty. I mean so clean there wasn't even a spec of rust on the spare tire hold down. I don't understand how a car can go 140k
and have zero corrosion. It was in northern florida so maybe that was it. Came with 1200$ in new tires and brakes.

So far replaced radio surround, rear lift handle(chrome), seats(cloth to leather), dash vents, carpet, antenna, rear brake light, radio(i need to get code im sure), running board, window scraper seals(warped from heat).

Interior is kid ravaged, already started fixing it up. I am swapping out SLT leather for the cloth and i will get the carpet also. cost 100$. I am worried about the harness from the ST to SLT. for the power seats. I would love heated but I can put a remote start on it. Need to get a running board and It has some minor scrapes/dents, i will put a white stripe along the back edge where the bad damage is(upper rear).

I will rebuild a 4.7 for it. I actually grabbed a 5.7 hemi(not complaining, its perfect for 230$, just needed a lifter retainer is why car was scrapped, 10$ part). Sad a mint 2005 Limited was scrapped for a 10$ part and 3-4 hours of work.

I opened the hood and don't have the heart or stomach to swap a 5.7 hemi into it... beside i really gave up when i realized the transfer cases were different. I was ready to RWD it also but so much was involved. I gathered some parts(radiator, ecu, entire long block) and was ready to go after harnesses and the rest(engine harness, engine bay harness, body computer, dash harness, gas pedal, transmission, transfer case) but i was like nope after i sat down and figured out the time involved...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mike!
That is a very nice looking example of a rust free Gen 2 D. Sadly, where I reside in SW Ohio, they don't look that way unless they are never driven in the winters. For the Gen 1's, there was SLT and SXT, and the low trim SXT became ST (I think) when the Gen 2's came out.

Non hybrid Gen 2 V8 Durangos all came with the 545RFE 5 speed trans. Since the Gen 2 4x4s were AWD, you got the 1 speed NV144, or the 2 speed NV244 (had low range). Any of these will bolt up to the 545RFE.

The way they pack the engine in there though, doing the swap is no pic nic. I believe the radiator, core support come out, and it comes out the front.

My trusty but rusty '04 Hemi is at 117K+, and never fails to start.

Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

I am in NE Ohio. Yeah i have a ST though AWD. The wiring harness is missing a lot... cant put lighted sun visors in it or the overhead trip computer. Since I am gutting the interior and replacing i might swap a SLT harness to get the extra electronics and need to check the power seats.

Since I am picking up electric leather tomorrow, I will grab the harness and see where it goes. I may grab the carpet also later.

I got a new antenna, sun visors, rear tail light, dash vents, center console, 6 cd changer for this so far.... I may grab the speakers for fun also but I will need the amp and not sure about the wiring to handle that. I had a limited dash center but I liked the SLT better with the wood grain.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
It looks like your T case switch only has two choices. If so, you have the NV144 which is AWD and 4Hi, but no 4Lo. That's not a big deal unless you off road a lot, or use it to pull stumps. I can count on 1 hand the number of times I have used 4Lo in the 9 years I have owned my '04 other than a monthly "exercise" of the case to keep it in good working order.

Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah this will be city/highway mostly... maybe awd for snow.

I guess this is a "restoration" project... I just gutted the interior... and trashing the seats. I picked up a clean carpet(will steam clean some spots) and full leather seats out of a SLT. I need to figure out how to get the power working though on the drivers seat, the passenger is a manual leather.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
I SURE wish my rear quarters and tail gate looked as good as those! I have an issue with the rear HVAC blend door not working, so at some point I will need to remove the RR trim to get to that. Thankfully, the default seams to be AC so that part still works great. The front heat does a good job as long as nobody is in the 3rd row.

I love that deep blue color! You might consider having those gray bumpers painted body color. IMO, that would be awesome.

Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will try to rust proof this truck where I know where the bad spots are. Tearing into pull a part durangos I have an idea how to make it last another 5 years in Ohio.

Doors, quarters(where the bumper fits against the quarter), lift gates are bad, lower rocker in front. Make sure all the drain holes are working etc...

I will rust proof the sh*t out of it and try to make sure water doesnt get into those areas. I believe water gets into the lift gate through the handle and stays there. Ive seen many rusted out around the handle.

I only rust proof with wax and oil mixtures.. none of this rust bullet/ Por15 crud.

I love the matte interior blue color, i wish i could paint the car that color :) I have considered painting the bumpers. I will probably do that in the spring. I paint cars as a hobby so its no issue.

Here is a car i finished up this fall(1957 Dodge Regal Lancer)...

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
triple cleaned carpet is back in, I added some sound proofing, replaced some, stuck the DVD overhead bracket in the car. They scraped the car i was going after the DVD ves cable the day before i got there... I will get the headliner in though... so it has to come back out which is a PITA!

Ill get the seats back in quick and the interior is done and practically new.... door panels are in and perfect, everything scrubed completely.

The carpet i got from a scrap car looked super clean... first cleaning looked like black coffee it was that dirty and then i cleaned it 2 more times... was a pita but its going to be good for another 5 years until this truck is finally done. Still can't believe how clean this car is, had to be garage kept.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a pic of where i added some sound proofing, did a couple big spots on the roof also. rear panels went in first(along side of wheel wells... back cargo lid so far.

I also found out both roof racks were leaking... Chrysler really screwed the pooch on that engineering. I would bet most older ones are slightly leaking with heavy rains and you might not even know it.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts