Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking for parts for my truck. I can't find any good websites for aftermarket performance parts. Does anyone have any websites or stores that sell aftermarket parts for the Durango? My truck is a 2000 Durango slt with the 4.7l . Its in great shape and their is no rust anyware. Not bad for a 20 y/o truck. I want to give it some more power. Something small, Like an intake and a brake kit if availble. Then maybe down the line, putting a supercharger.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
Hi Hunter:
That's a good looking '00 you have there. You must be down south or out west. Here in SW Ohio, most of the Gen 1 D's (and Gen 2's for that matter) still on the road are pretty rusty.

The 4.7L is a good reliable engine for what it is, but performance wise, there is not a whole lot out there. I looked into it when I had my '01 4.7 SLT Plus, and decided it wasn't worth it. I know others will chime in as well.

Don

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your Durango is sweet. My 2000 Durango also has the 4.7ltr but I live in the Northeast and am constantly battling rust.

There are some performance options for the 4.7ltr, but it doesn't get as much love as the 5.2/5.9ltr and the 5.7ltr hemi.

The available bolt-on 4.7ltr performance options include cat back exhausts, larger throttle bodies, headers, cold air intakes, performance tuners, and HO cams and intake manifolds.

The only real option on brakes that I am aware of is to upgrade to the front and rear brakes that were put on the 2003 Durango (larger two piston brakes in the front and disc brakes in the back) but that requires a lot of time, surgery and parts sourcing.

The Dakota/Durango forum has a sub forum specifically on the 4.7ltr that includes a lot of performance advice. See this thread--

See also this thread on this forum --

Take a look at these vendors --

Airram -- AirRam - Cold Air Induction System

Fastman throttle bodies -- The Fastman - Specializing in Mopar Performance Parts

Consider putting on a cat back exhaust on first (I installed a Magnaflow, and at least my butt dyno feels more power) and then the larger throttle body followed by the HO cams and later-model intake manifold and also a Superchips tuner (those are my next upgrades) You would get a measurable increase in horsepower from those bolt-on parts, I think.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
The 4.7L stock exhaust is made of mandrel bent tubing...so there is no real gain from an exhaust. The only real restriction in the exhaust if the y-pipe. Even the muffler is a high flow design.
If done the usual bolt-ons and I dyno'd after them.
The single biggest gain was the superchips tuner...which I'm not sure is made anymore.
Then the stock 4.7L HO cams...which have been discontinued.
Fastman TB did nothing.

My mod list would be 3.92 gears then tuner, HO cam if you can find them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Excellent comments -- it sounds like you have real experience.

The HO cams are available on EBay (although I guess buyer beware) and occasionally on Airram.

Superchips stills make a fewer tuners for the 4.7ltr. I have a Superchips tuner for my Jeep and have been pleased.

I agree that an exhaust doesn't add much power but the aftermarket exhausts sound better and are cheaper than the stock exhaust if you need to replace (which is why I installed a Magnflow).

I am guessing that the Fastman throttle bodies require other engine modifications to make the greater airflow translate into more power. That is why I haven't bought one.

Overall, I think the 4.7ltr is a good reliable truck engine and makes decent power in stock condition, at least enough for me (but I am off-roading and not running drag strips with my Durango). I believe the 4.7ltr was state of the art when it came out at the end of the 1990s and compared well to the other small V8s produced at that time (Toyota, GM and Ford).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I'm looking for parts for my truck. I can't find any good websites for aftermarket performance parts. Does anyone have any websites or stores that sell aftermarket parts for the Durango? My truck is a 2000 Durango slt with the 4.7l . Its in great shape and their is no rust anyware. Not bad for a 20 y/o truck. I want to give it some more power. Something small, Like an intake and a brake kit if availble. Then maybe down the line, putting a supercharger.
Thank you. View attachment 108660

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Excellent comments -- it sounds like you have real experience.

The HO cams are available on EBay (although I guess buyer beware) and occasionally on Airram.

Superchips stills make a fewer tuners for the 4.7ltr. I have a Superchips tuner for my Jeep and have been pleased.

I agree that an exhaust doesn't add much power but the aftermarket exhausts sound better and are cheaper than the stock exhaust if you need to replace (which is why I installed a Magnflow).

I am guessing that the Fastman throttle bodies require other engine modifications to make the greater airflow translate into more power. That is why I haven't bought one.

Overall, I think the 4.7ltr is a good reliable truck engine and makes decent power in stock condition, at least enough for me (but I am off-roading and not running drag strips with my Durango). I believe the 4.7ltr was state of the art when it came out at the end of the 1990s and compared well to the other small V8s produced at that time (Toyota, GM and Ford).
Yeah, I not only dyno'd, but did timed 0-60 runs...which is how I know the Superchips tuner 3715 does make a difference with all 3 of the canned tunes. 87, 91 towing, 93 performance.
The exhaust is stainless steel, so should not need to replace it. There is certainly no reason to replace anything other than the main muffler is looking for a bit more flow and sound.
The HO cams really add to the mid-range hp/tq around 11 rear wheel hp ..but don't increase overall HP. My dyno results only showed a top-end gain of only 3 rear wheel HP...stock w/K&N drop in filter I pulled 200 hp. 203 w/HO cams.
The Superchips really wakes the engine up IMO. I love the 87 tune. Engine starts quicker, power band stronger and shifting is crisper too at WOT. Bonus is MPG increased a bit as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do you consider the HO cams to be worth the expense and trouble? Do they just drop in? HO cams are available on EBay for about $300. I have been considering.

Did the Superchips have an economy tune and did you try it?

The muffler on my Durango and some of the hanging brackets rusted through after 18 years of drivingin the Northeast. That is why I installed a Magnaflow cat back exhaust. It does sound much better.

I think the answer to the OP is that there a few bolt on parts, including Superchips, for the first gen 4.7ltr that will provide some incremental horsepower but no big gains. That is likely true for most engines. There is the redesigned 2008 and later 4.7ltr but I don’t think that is a realistic swap for a first gen Durango.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I consider the HO cams only worth it because they are pretty easy to install...the hardest part is removing the passenger side valve cover. They are bolt-on. You do need a timing chain wedge tool. That is the only special tool you need.

Yes, the 87 tune is the Superchips economy tune as I understand it. It is enough of an improvement that I only ran that tune.
Agree, you're not going to increase the engine 50 hp to the wheels, but 25-30 is doable. I can tell you no 5.9L without some serious bolt-on's..ie Heads/Cam or a blower could stay with my 4.7L.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Chase300- You inspired me to install the HO camshafts. I just bought a used pair for a good price on Ebay. I will pick up a timing chain wedge tool also. Not looking forward to removing the vale covers -- lots of stuff to move out of the way and not a lot of room.

I also picked up a reconditioned Superchips tuner. I intend to try the 87 tune.

OP -- sorry for hijacking your thread. I hope you got some useful advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts